Can Radiant Flooring Cause Legionnaires’ Disease? Yes!

Q&A with Dr. John Straube about radiant floor heating, domestic hot water, and Legionnaire’s Disease.

Q: I am interested in combining the domestic hot water system in my houses with a hydronic floor system. I have heard stories about connecting the two systems causing Legionnaires’ disease. Is this for real?

A: Dr. John Straube, Ph.D., P. E., of Building Science Corp., fills us in: Yes, it is for real, but you can prevent it.

Legionnaires’ disease is actually a more common problem than you might think. The primary place to find legionella bacteria is in residential hot water systems – usually in your shower.

Q: Holy cow! How common is it?
Click the link for the rest of the story.

http://www.builderonline.com/flooring/can-radiant-flooring-cause-legionnaires-disease-yes.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=jump&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BBU_071213&day=2013-07-12

Sounds about right, keep hot water hot and cold water cold; anything in between is dangerous…much like food.

But more importantly, hydronic floor heating and domestic hot water should not mix!

Yes there is a risk so you should now that your contractor has respect for this issue.