I can't believe it

In the past 6 weeks I have taken NACHI’s 60 hour coursework to comply with licensing application in Mississippi. My average score on the NACHI exams was 95 except for one 82 in plumbing. Today I took Mississippi’s required test from AHIT. Never in my life have I seen such a vastly different scenario where AHIT asked questions about things I had NEVER even heard of, and I have been in Construction and Architecture all my life. Their Code of Ethics is completely different than NACHI’s. None of the 200 questions remotely resembled what I had studied here. Oh well, I failed by a small margin, on a 500 scale I made 496. The ethics portion was what I missed according to the results they gave me. I have to wait 30 days before I can take the exam again, which given I have spent over $4,000 in insurance plus about half that amount in related things. Any advice or comments other than to suck it up?

Integrity, honesty, and objectivity are fundamental principles embodied by this Code, which sets forth obligations of ethical conduct for the home inspection profession. The Membership of ASHI has adopted this Code to provide high ethical standards to safeguard the public and the profession.

Inspectors shall comply with this Code, shall avoid association with any enterprise whose practices violate this
Code, and shall strive to uphold, maintain, and improve the integrity, reputation, and practice of the home inspection profession.

1. Inspectors shall avoid conflicts of interest or activities that compromise, or appear to compromise, professional independence, objectivity, or inspection integrity.
    A. Inspectors shall not inspect properties for compensation in which they have, or expect to have, a financial interest.
    B. Inspectors shall not inspect properties under contingent arrangements whereby any compensation or future referrals are dependent on reported findings or on the sale of a property.
    C. Inspectors shall not directly or indirectly compensate realty agents, or other parties having a financial interest in closing or settlement of real estate transactions, for the referral of inspections or for inclusion on a list of recommended inspectors, preferred providers, or similar arrangements.
    D. Inspectors shall not receive compensation for an inspection from more than one party unless agreed to by the client(s).
    E. Inspectors shall not accept compensation, directly or indirectly, for recommending contractors, services, or products to inspection clients or other parties having an interest in inspected properties.
    F. Inspectors shall not repair, replace, or upgrade, for compensation, systems or components covered by ASHI Standards of Practice, for one year after the inspection.
  2. Inspectors shall act in good faith toward each client and other interested parties.
    A. Inspectors shall perform services and express opinions based on genuine conviction and only within their areas of education, training, or experience.
    B. Inspectors shall be objective in their reporting and not knowingly understate or overstate the significance of reported conditions.
    C. Inspectors shall not disclose inspection results or client information without client approval. Inspectors, at their discretion, may disclose observed immediate safety hazards to occupants exposed to such hazards, when feasible.
  3. Inspectors shall avoid activities that may harm the public, discredit themselves, or reduce public confidence in the profession.
    A. Advertising, marketing, and promotion of inspectors’ services or qualifications shall not be fraudulent, false, deceptive, or misleading.
    B. Inspectors shall report substantive and willful violations of this Code to the Society

Pretty standard stuff. What ethics did you study?

Mississippilicensing requires you to pass theNHIE, that is Not in conjunction with AHIT. It sounds like INachi’s 60 hours course does not properly prepare you for the National Home Inspector Examination.

You Un-ethical F-ck :wink:

That sucks because in my opinion most of it is bullsh-t and is just in there to prevent Contractors from doing Home Inspections for free or at a greatly reduced price.

I myself cannot understand how anyone would think that would be a good way to find work. Or at least work worth anything.

If you have a relationship with a client and he would like to hire you to do something then I Strongly Believe that should be between you and you client. Any client that does not get 3 or 4 prices from legit guys is an idiot anyhow.

Just imagine the craiglisters and un-licensed hacks you would be competing against doing something like changing out a Front Door or upgrading an Electrical Box.

It sure as hell does not sound like a good game plan to me.

I believe who the client hires and for what is strictly his own business.

Sorry about your score I am sure you will pass the nest time.

A trick I used on my G.C. license was to answer every question I knew the answer to right away first. then I would go through them and if it took me more than a few minutes I would move on. Lastly I took the rest of the allotted time trying to figure out the tough ones.

If you took any type of prep course offered by those in your area I would read all the questions and correct answers in the morning at least once before the exam.

I also found it helpful in my case to stay at the hotel it was hosted at because I did not have to deal with traffic ans anxiety about getting enough sleep issues. Do remember that the G.C. test in Florida I a gruelling 2 full days. All home inspector tests I have heard of are done in a day. When I took mine I went as fast as I could just to see what would happen because I likely did not need it and finished in about 20 minutes and passed :slight_smile:

Another thing I found extremely useful was a FULL PAGE magnifier it allowed me to see and therefore scan any allowed materials without eyestrain which can lead to headaches and frustration.

I did not need to but was not sure what the law was going to be so I took the HI test in florida and it pretty much was like the Nachi practice exam. Need any help or just need to vent call me anytime after 10am.

Go Get Em :smiley:

Poor Meeker will never understand the hands off relationship that HIs must have with contracting. :roll:

Doesn’t Mississippi require you to take the nation home inspection exam? Is that the test you took?

AHIT ethics allow for disclosing the inspection report to Real Estate Agents, mortgage companies without the written consent of the Client under contract.

Mississippi requires the test administered by the American Home Inspector Training (AHIT) through a proctor called PSI out of Nevada

Thank you so very much, I am not going to give up. I have found a local licensed inspector who is willing to give me his copies of the NHIT materials he used to pass his exam. (They cost almost $1800)

I may be sounding like sour grapes but I believe the test is set up for deliberate failure the first time so you will have to take it again (and again) at a cost of $225.00. Oh well, I am not giving up, but their questions and material bore no resemblance to what I had studied and the courses taken with NACHI

AHIT has no clout to “allow” anything. They are “trainers” of HIs.

The COE under which you operate (and/or state law), typically, dictate what you can disseminate and to whom.

Dan, if you are paying $4,000 for $250,000 of E&O insurance you are being ripped off. I don’t care if it’s my program or any of my counterparts . you should only be paying about $1,700.00 please call me or Ben Garrison at Elite MGA, or Aaron Menlove at Inspector pro.