Certified Master Inspector

I have joined the ranks of the Certified Master Inspector. See

http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/cmi/ny.html

John; Doesn’t anything else other than the 1000 hours of Inspections, or continued hours of education have any merit to this formula.?

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oh…I chuckle, every time I read the CMI nonsense…:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Why do you need to be a CMI if you’re retired?

Blaine I spit my Iced Tea on the computer…damnit…:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Marcel,

That’s it. But think about this. I have never seen any profession or designation get easier. Once solidified and in motion I can only see the requirements for future CMI’s getting tougher.

Look at licensing alone. Ever notice how the licensing criteria is tougher on those that are not grandfathered.

Thanks John;
and appreciate your quick response, but unfortunately you did not answer my question.

Blaine; You have a good point, but I know where John is coming from.

John;
Maine does not have a licensor requirement.
I have taken all the test questions available through NACHI for Training for State License. It was very good. Printed every page. Cost me a bundle on Ink. ha. ha.

I have been a working Project Superindentant for over 35 years and to explain what not to many understand for this area, I am the job Foreman, Carpenter, Erect the steel, install the foundations, finish carpentry, framing, joist and deck installation, sheathing, insulation, job control, supervision, and quality control.
And once in a while I manage to stay after work to take care of the paper work. As you can see, I have complete control on most of the projects.

Bottom line, is there any merit to everything else involved in the Construction and Inspection Industry other and beyond the 1000 hours of Inspections and continued education combined? Oh. I forgot, I was a General Services Administration Technical Engineer back in 1985, position without a College Degree. So what is a CMI? Along with a whole bunch of my comrades, here, don’t we deserve some merit for the time in the Saddle? Other the the printing in Granite of the 1000 hours.?

JMHO
Thanks
Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Marcel

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Marcel, send them a check and list the 1000’s of hrs of jobsite education, I am sure they will show you the handshake and cash your check.:smiley:

Many people come out of retirement and return to work.

Marcel,

I can’t answer your question. I am not part of the CMI Board. That is Nick. Send your quals to him. Looks to me based on your work experience and the education received to fulfill those duties that you may very well qualify.

Good Luck.

There’s a handshake? :smiley:

Cha-Ching, $ound$ like another CMI may get hi$ wing$ afterall Marcel.

I pointed out this point in another post, like what Marcel was saying and I have said in the past, most professions recognize past work experience in the relative field as accredidation, this meaning 20 plus years in the construction industry should carry over to accreditation in the home inspection business. We have more experience than someone coming out of school and just starting

For anyone in a licensed state that puts everyone on an equal keel, why wouldn’t someone consider the CMI program. The marketing aspect of it alone could be a tremendous help in promotion of your business and increasing your fees.

Say what you want about the qualification factors and argue as much as we want about the standards, it is still a smart marketing move. Cha Ching is exactly right… It’s a marketing masterpiece…

Thanks guys for listening,

John, Brian, and Peter,
I am trying to make a point here and relize that I am not a Lone Ranger in doing it.

It is a matter of earning it in my book that matters and going to school for a CMI to me does not cut it, but on the other hand, providing the monies to belong to that designation is alright. Is it? Provide the initial 1000 hours without knowing that it has been done wrong for all this time, find yourself in court, find yourself in jeapordy, all comes with the territory. Unless you are firmly stable in your indeavors, and reliante on your experince, beware of the thing that can put you down, (bullsh#it, )

Becoming a CMI, yes would like it because a title to me without a college Education turns me on. I have worked a lot of years to example an equivilancy.
I think it should be the other way around.

Thanks guys you are great.

Marcel:) :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Marcel, you do not earn a CMI, you buy it.
It’s a marketing gimmick don’t-ya-know.:roll: :stuck_out_tongue:

But Brian, Look at all of the positives.

1. It’s a one time payment. Not yearly.
  2. You receive the designation Certified Master Inspector. In an association you are simply a home inspector or certified home inspector, working member, candidate with logo use, or candidate with no logo use, etc.
  3. No Continuing Education Requirements. Simply fulfill your state requirements and move on your merry way.
  4. No yearly testing. In fact no testing. Prior membership in an association is not required.
  5. You operate and abide by the highest sop’s and coe’s.

Let’s face it. It’s one heck of a deal. Why belong to an association? For less than two years of NACHI dues you get a lifetime membership.

I say go for it…

Most of our CMI applicants far exceed the 1,000 continuing education hours + number of inspections performed requirement by thousands. But one trend I’ve noticed about the upper crust of our industry… their ratio of continuing education hours to number of inspections is larger than the average inspector’s. In other words, CMIs (despite not being required by law to take so much continuing education) still do. CMIs also charge more than the rest of us, and they get more inspection work. They’ve proven something I’ve suspected all along…

The most successful inspectors (the ones who have done many thousands of inspections and have outlived their competitors) charge more and take a lot of continuing education.

Success, high fees, and good training are correlated.

Brian, you are wrong again. Here are the CMI requirements. One cannot buy 1,000 fee paid inspections or continuing education hours or a criminal-free background.

1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Verdana, Sans Serif]Completing 1,000 fee-paid inspections or hours of inspection-related continuing education (combined) in their lifetime.[/FONT]
  2. Abiding by the industry’s toughest Code of Ethics.
  3. Substantially following a Board approved Standards of Practice.
  4. Submitting to a criminal background check.
  5. Applying for Board certification by signing the affidavidt in front of a Notary.

Somewhere we can verify this?