What are your feelings on this issue? What do Realtors really
want from home inspectors?"**

You can go here to read the discussion and comments that got
stirred up:
http://activerain.com/blogsview/59555/Deal-Killer-Inspector

Got any feedback? I will post some of your thoughts at the discussion
or you can join the discussion yourself. I am going to give some links
to the NACHI ethics and standards next, to help Realtors understand
why inspectors report on certain things the way they do.

To join Activerain go here: Activerain.com

It depends on what they mean by “deal killer”. If they mean an inspector who overstates issues, such as an inspector who will call a cracked garage slab as “structural failure” etc. Or do they mean an inspector who provides their client with as much information as possible about the home… including the absence of weep holes, or possible water ponding.

I am a proud “deal killer”. Several of my clients have avoided buying a home based on the information I provided. I am very careful about how I say things, however. But I will not UNDERstate anything. I am confident that most inspectors do the same, especially NACHI inspectors.

If a Realtor is upset because an inspector will pull the registers of the slab ducts and report rust in the duct boots as possible slab duct failure, or will report that the LP siding may be defective, or that PB pipes are known to fail, then they are being less than helpful to their client. These Realtors are the main reason that I don not market to them, and do not work for them. They should understand that a “deal killer” helps them too… Unfortunately, many cannot see the benefit that a tough inspector provides not only to their client, but them too. If their client buys a home in poor shape, they will not only be unhappy with the inspector, but the Realtor as well. They should remember that even if the deal dies, their client still needs a home…

Off the soap box now…:mrgreen:

John…

Do you expect anyone to be bold enough to post:

“I have $18,000 at stake in this deal and the last thing I want is an inspector to come along and rake up muck. I look for the forty-five minute inspector with no camera and a checklist who leaves a copy with me to give to the client. He charges less than $200, fills the square, and does nothing to cost me a sale.”

I, of course, am not John and I’m not sure if anyone is bold enough…why don’t you try it James? :stuck_out_tongue: :mrgreen:

John, I thought that session worked out quite well. Most of the replies were exactly as I would like them to be.

I especially liked your response–you handled it very well.

Some good thoughts from Will Decker and Peter Doane also.

Then there was Robert McArtor–he obviously has an axe to grind.

But there are guys like him everywhere–even on this message board (believe it or not!)

So far we have 19 posted comments from Realtors and Inspectors at the
Activerain site, within the last few hours. It could get interesting here
in a few minutes.

The number one-multi inspector firm in St. Louis is owned by a real estate agent who hires ASHI candidates to run 3 to 4 inspections per day exactly as I described. A member of my chapter who worked there was “counselled” for his lengthy (2 1/2 hour) inspections and was told he would have to pick up the pace if he wanted to continue with that company. They use a five page checklist report and take no photos and work strictly from referrals from agents.

Really?..sad…no doubt it would be interesting to share that information with a group of realtors and see what their response is.

John where on active rain is this being discussed?

It would be interesting to track the legal consequences of these insp.

You can go here to read the discussion at:
http://activerain.com/blogsview/5955…ller-Inspector

To join Activerain go here: Activerain.com

It’s starting to heat up a little now.
34 responses and the crowd is gathering.

42 responses, now.

I was going to say afew thing to a few people there, but you and Jimmy Breazeale are doing quite well. Keep it up.

I think Realtors are learning a great deal about the inspection industry from your posts.

And I’m getting a whole new perspective on Realtors. Sort of.

Thanks,

It seems many Realtors do not have a clue about the SOP that most inspectors go by and therefore are sometimes upset by the things we report.

Didn’t want to say it on Active Rain…but the thought crossed my mind about OUR adherance to SOP/COE, and AGENTS adherance to theirs. When I hear agents say “I use so-and-so”, then technically that agent is violating his/her own code of ethics by pushing a particular inspector. In my state, they are SUPPOSED to provide a short list, IF the client asks them to. While I appreciate being “used” by honest agents who are looking out for their clients, I always inform them that they technically can get into trouble. Of course, as Bushart says, sometimes certain inspectors (or group thereof) get “used” a lot for the wrong reasons. We all know that. But isn’t it fun when one of their clients insist on making their own decision, and call one of us instead?:mrgreen:

Thanks John, for this eye opener! It has shown me just how important our SOP really is. We should never let anybody dictate to us what our job is or how we should do it. Gerald Wilcox