Found these...Whats my obligation if any?

Whats my obligation if any? Seller is in California and has moved out. House is staged.

They are the property of the homeowner. Are they a defect that affects the condition of the home? If you are concerned, advise the agent of their presence, and go about your day.

I would, probably, put the pictures in the report and keep inspecting.

Those 50 cals are maybe worth $20/round my sheriff friend told me. :shock:

You can’t go wrong if you make accurate observations and document any such (or other) conditions at an inspection.

You are not there to inspect personal belongings. Ignore them.

Your obligation is to leave them alone and do your inspection.

What, exactly, is your “concern?”

Who opened the box?

House is vacant, with live ammo stored. No concerns, I informed the agent that they were there. Just curious what others thought.

I get them in bulk for about $2.15 per round :wink:

Wow, big difference…:shock:

Yeah, but you get D-E-E-E-P discounts when purchasing 10,000+ rounds at a time! :wink:

jmo
i would have gotten the sellers phone #
contacted them while on site & negotiated a removal/disposal for a small fee so the closing could smoothly move forward
win, win, win for all involved
even if they stiffed me on the small fee ;~))
ya gotta think on your feet

If that is how the closet is staged, I would love to see the rest of the house!

So, the seller moved out and left all that ammo there? Weird.

If they had not yet moved out, I would say there would be no need to mention it. But since it looks as though it might have been abandoned, I think the safe thing to do would be to include a comment in Summary section: “Boxes of what appear to be live ammunition were noted in the (master bedroom?) closet. Buyer may wish to request removal of these items before closing.”

In a worst-case scenario, if the house burned after closing but before move-in, the insurance company might partially or fully deny the claim due to the presence of “large quantities of military grade ammunition”.

I would make it a point to inform the seller’s and buyer’s agents as to their presence as well via email or some other verifiable means.

That is exactly what I would have done.:slight_smile:

Huh? I certainly wouldn’t call that “large quantities.” I have more 5.56 ammo in my garage safe right now. Being a TX man, I would think you would too :smiley: And why would you refer to it as “military grade?”

“Military grade” would imply a lower quality ammo since most home-defense ammo and hunting ammo is high quality and/or match-ammo.

Most moving companies won’t pack, store or deliver ammo. It is the responsibility of the sellers agent to inform the sellers of the item(s) left in the residence.

Personally, I like Barry’s idea…

A few thousand rounds of 5.56 isn’t a large quantity. I’ll shoot over 1,000 handloads in a day prairie dog hunting. Moving companies won’t move it so owner has to make other arrangements. I can see from the photos that the ammo is not the only thing left in that closet. The house and everything in it still have an owner.

Keep your nose out of people’s personal property.

Comments about “large quanities” and “military grade” are duly noted, and thanks for your more expert perspectives on that. I was thinking that 50-caliber would be considered military grade, but I definitely bow to those with the true experience and knowledge in this area.

Curious. I’m used to hearing 50-caliber in association with machine guns and sniper rifles. What would be some of the non-military applications. Large game?

Not much hunting is done with a .50 BMG. The rifles are too heavy- A Barrett 99 single shot, bolt action is about 25 pounds. The round is very powerful and likely to cause excessive damage to meat. Not practical for hunting except in very unique circumstances.

The majority of owners use them for long range target shooting, 1000 to 2000 yards.

Very expensive to own and shoot regularly. However, if you ever get the opportunity to fire one, do it. You will never forget it.

Military grade small arms ammo is pretty restricted. Limited to non-expanding bullets, unlike civilian ammo and is no more powerful for a given cartridge. They do include armor piercing and phosphorous tracers which don’t really have practical non-combat applications IMO.

Firearms like the .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun) are used almost exclusively for target shooting. The round is very good for extreme long range shooting. I’d personally prefer a .338, but just because I personally have no interest in one doesn’t mean I disapprove of them.

Of that I have no doubt! :shock: