Full membership status

Do not have 100 paid Inspection status as of yet., does that mean that I do not warrant a full Membership Status?
Just curious.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

hhmmm ???

Mic

You are correct. It takes 100 inspections to be a full member.

And you must send the numbers or dates of the inspections to John and he will ask for copies of a certain amount to see if you are writing your reports correctly
I have a feeling there are a lot of members who have not sent theirs in .
Yes I have . Roy Cooke… My wife too
CMI… RHI…CHI…

I say grant Marcel a pass based on his knowledge of home construction. :smiley:

Marcel is one of my favorite HIs but I wonder where do you draw the line on who gets in under the rules and who does not .
If we have rules should they be bent and ignored for some and not others .
I think this deserves a lot of discusion .
I am a strong supporter of rules .
They are meant to be followed by all .
If they are wrong then they should be changed .
Most do not even know that there is a full membership Did you before these posts.
Roy Cooke
</IMG>

Roy, you thought I was serious?

Unfortunately for me, I don’t expect rules to be changed. I like to abide by set rules also. I expect at my rate, it will take another few years to be Full. ha. ha.
I was just curious and leads me to ask now of what the difference is between the two memberships.

Thanks

Marcel:) :slight_smile:

http://nachi.org/membership.htm

****Requirements for full membership: ****

1. You must have performed or participated in more than 100 home inspections.

The 100 Inspection requirement has been there since Day 1 of this Organization.

There is a distinction that is required by PA law. PA law requires inspectors to belong to a “national organization”. Part of the definition of “national org” as defined by PA law is one in which full members must complete 100 paid inspections to achieve “full membership”.

I am not certain, but since nick and nachi started in PA, I would guess that this law has something to do with the requirement.

Joe,

The 100 Inspection requirement for Full Membership predates the passage of the PA Certification Law.

Like I said, I did not know for certain.

It is just a fortunate coincidence then, but a critical one to maintain for PA nachi members.

Did it also predate the proposed bills that surely circulated in teh years/months prior to passage? Or was that part of the thinking?

The NACHI Magazine (which predates the Internet presence of NACHI) suggests similar Membership requirements going back to May 1999.

No coincidence at all.

The 100 Inspection requirement for Full Membership is an International requirement of NACHI. It is not exclusive to PA NACHI Members

It is not a Pennsylvania phenomena or conspiracy as you suggest.

Joe - I think you are misreading it. I am not suggesting a conspiracy of any kind. It is important to maintain the 100 inspection requirement for PA members’ sake, was the point - nachi can’t simply decide to eliminate the tiers of membership because then they would no longer be a national org by PA law.

It was intended more as an explanation for those not familiar with PA who may wonder why such a line in the sand exists, or question the merit or value of it.

I had always assumed that with nachi’s PA roots, it was intentional. It sounds like, from the info you provide, that nachi established this criteria in advance of learning of discussions or possible passage of PA law and so the fact that the PA law and nachi requirements are the same is a happy (and fortunate) coincidence for PA nachi members.

I guess, I have to reiterate my question, ( what is the difference between full membership and not full, (100 Home Inspections).?

Well now, if that is all that is required, all I would have to do is supply someone with a few that I have done.

What if I were to count the years I were a Civil Engineering Technical Inspector for General Services Administration in 1985, that was a while back. You would think if it is good enough for the Government, it would suffice NACHI requirements.
What if I have been building Commercial Projects of values of $5- 15 million dollars.? Do you think inspecting a little house would damper my knowledge?
The Company I have worked for 36 years, depends on my competence and Inspection of our own work, and that is why we never have third party inspectors to deal with. They would not know what to look for anyways. And that is the truth. I have worked with Clerk of the Works as they are called, and bury them in their tracks. They don’t have a clue.

Now we are back on the mandated 100 Home Inspections. Well, who came up with that idea?

You allow them to become Certified Home Inspectors and let them loose until they have done 100 wrong cases of Home Inspections? (not all mind you) That does not sound right.
Would it not be prudent to ask for the first ten Inspection Reports or a fraction there/of? So the poor guy or girl knows whether or not they are on the right track.?

100 Home Inspections times 10,000 members = 1,000,000 Home Inspections done before someone tells them they are going about it the wrong way, or their reports are written in a manner to have them open to litigation.

No one has requested my report that I have cultured to a narrative original, and believe me, it is written and formated to CMA. It gets altered as I go due to the variable in the field.

So for those that seem that 100 Inspections will provide you with the expertise of the trade, and be recognized as a Full Member, good luck.

In the meantime, we will follow the mandated rules. ha. ha. I guess I will be 70 years old before I get to the CMI. ha. ha.
With over 40 years of Building already, what’s another 30, ha. ha.

Been venting long enough, and thank you all. Just had to point out some views from other than what some read.

</IMG></IMG>

100 inspections is a start , you then need to take the numbers from 100 inspections send John Bowman these numbers he then send you back I forget the amount 10 I think, and you then send in those 10 or copies of them to confirm you have been doing you inspections correctly
I expect I will be corrected if I am wrong .
Roy Cooke
</IMG></IMG>

Roy; Thanks as usual.

I agree with Marcel and have posted about this subject before.
Most professional organization recognize lateral expertise or experience in a give field as a life long accomplishment. Here’s my scenario, 22 years as a contractor, mostley remodeling, addition and commercial work where almost every job had electrical, heating or plumbing upgrades. These all have to be figured into the budget when the proposal is presented, then the contract is awarded based on current knowledge, price and ability. I completed over 300 home inspections working as a sub contractors in the early 90s for the Building Inspector of America, national trained by them to ASHI’s standards. Now I am back in the home inspection field with my own business and it appears my past has no accreditation with the professional organisation I joined, as I said, most professions recognize experience why not NACHI?

The easy answer is that your past experience does not involve fee paid home inspections that were performed to a set of written standards.