Who needs gun control???

When you have ammunition control!!!

http://images.businessweek.com/gen/logos/bw/bw_255x54.gif
Unstructured Finance: BusinessWeek’s Wall Street News Blog
Current Issue

<DIV id=columnLayout>The Associated Press March 29, 2009, 3:00PM ET
Fear of new regs drives gun, ammo shortage

By BEN NEARYhttp://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif

CHEYENNE, Wyo. Concern that the Obama administration could impose a new ban on some semiautomatic weapons is driving worried gun owners to stockpile ammunition and cartridge reloading components at such a rate that manufacturers can’t meet demand.
Attorney General Eric Holder last month suggested that the Obama Administration favors reinstituting a U.S. ban on the sale of assault weapons. President Bill Clinton first signed such a ban into law in 1994, generally blocking some military-style guns with magazines that hold many cartridges. President George Bush had allowed the ban to expire.
“We have heard from all across the country that there is a tremendous shortage of ammunition,” said Lawrence Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. “We’ve heard this from the manufacturers, that their customers are calling them trying to get supplies for inventory, and that the manufacturers are going full-bore, pardon the pun.”
The Newtown, Conn.-based foundation is a trade organization representing firearms and ammunition manufacturers as well as retail gun shops.
“Semiautomatic rifles are selling at an incredibly brisk pace,” said Keane, adding that many manufacturers of semiautomatic rifles and pistols are already so backordered that this year’s entire production is already spoken for.
He said the current ammunition shortage followed the increase in gun sales. While the current shortage includes cartridges for popular semiautomatic rifles and pistols that were covered by the Clinton-era weapons ban, it also extends to other common varieties including common revolver cartridges and .22 rimfire cartridges used for hunting or target shooting.
In Wyoming, the run on bullets and reloading components reached such a frenzy that Cheyenne retailer Frontier Arms recently began rationing sales, said Becky Holtz, co-owner of the shop. Holtz said she’s also been selling semiautomatic rifles as fast as she can put them on the shelves.
“You know there’s something wrong when I’ve got little old ladies coming in buying 5,000 rounds of .22 shells,” Holtz said.
Jere Jordan is general manager Midsouth Shooters Supply in Clarksville, Tenn. – one of a handful of firms in the country that specializes in mail-order sales of ammunition and reloading components and equipment.
In common with similar supply houses, Midsouth has run out of most ammunition in the calibers commonly used in semiautomatic pistols and popular military rifles. It’s also backordered on many other types of cartridges.
“After the election, where you have a change of parties to a more liberal side, I would say I guess the conservatives want to protect what they feel might be taken away from them, either through a tax, or an all-out ban,” Jordan said.
Midsouth and other similar dealers say they’re also sold out of most varieties of primers used by hobbyists to handload cartridges. Primers are the explosive caps that ignite gunpowder in rifle and pistol cartridges.
Jordan said his company is taking orders for bullets and primers, but isn’t sure when they’ll be filled.
“The wait? We’re not even guessing on the wait anymore,” Jordan said. “It’s exceeding 60 days.”
Keane, of the Shooting Sports Foundation, said there are no national statistics that directly track firearms sales. However, he noted that there’s been a sharp rise in the number of instant background checks that the FBI performs each time a person buys a gun at a gun store. Such checks are not required for personal sales, or for gun purchases at gun shows.
The FBI performed more than 4.2 million firearms background checks from November 2008 through this January, according to agency figures. That’s an increase of more than 31 percent above the 3.2 million checks the agency performed from November 2007 through January 2008.
Keane said concerns other than the prospect of new federal regulations are also driving gun and ammunition sales. Those include the faltering economy and the potential side-effect of an increase in crime, he said.
“There’s a concern about what’s happening to the stock market, what’s happening with unemployment, what’s happening with the tremendous increase in government spending, whether there will be hyperinflation,” Keane said.

<DIV id=column2>
copyright 2000-2009 by The McGraw-Hill Companies Inc. All rights reserved.

http://images.businessweek.com/gen/mh_logo_300x22.gif

My client last Friday just got his licence to carry. He told me his class was filled wall to wall! Need other short term employment? Become a trainer!

I am no expert, but from what I have been hearing from a lot of hunters in my area, and gun collectors, they won’t go the taking your guns away route. It is nearly impossible. They will just beat you down as far as price for ammo goes. That will work fine until guys start doing their own reloads and have NO IDEA what they are doing. Then we will have people being killed by black market ammo blowing up in their hands and faces. Great, hey?

The military has already been ordered to shred all of thier used ammo brass for scrap metal, instead of supplying companies like Georgia Arms, who clean and reload the cases for sale to the public. Ga. Arms said this may cause them to go bankrupt, it has already caused a shortage on 223 and 308 caliber Ammo. Guns are no good without Bullets and Patriots cannot defend themselves with Arms. But who cares, this is just a fringe issue, lets just worry about our billfolds and reputations with Europe! P.S. A smart man should just buy guns with a 7.62 MM, so they can buy ammo from the Communist or Muslims, they will be the only ones with guns and ammo.

New information Ken.

DOD Reverses Shredding of Spent Ammunition Policy](http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20090320/DC5/903200351)

The shooting sports and gun industries applauded U.S. Sens. Max Baucus and Jon Tester, both Montana Democrats, and Rep. Denny Rehberg, R-Mont., Thursday after their quick response to a Department of Defense order that spent brass cartridges be shredded for scrap.

The DoD ordered that the brass be destroyed rather than reloaded and sold to civilians and law enforcement, as part of a rule to keep sensitive military hardware from liquidators and, potentially, the nation’s enemies.

**The rewritten rule exempts spent ammo, meaning the casings can be resold instead of crushed for scrap.

**Jim Shepherd, publisher of the Outdoor Wire and the Tactical Wire — daily Web sheets — called the move by DoD “the set piece battle over gun ownership.”

“Our thanks go out to Sen. Tester and Sen. Baucus, and their staff, for getting on this problem promptly and making the reversal happen,” Gary Marbut said on his Montana Shooting Sports Association Web site.

I usually buy my ammo from Walmart but have been unable to because their always out of stock, .380. Plenty of shot gun shells though. $22.00 for a box of 100.

When I went to Arizona I stopped by Walmart and they have the same problem, just can’t keep 9MM and .380 in stock.

Now if I was going to defend myself or my home you can’t beat a 12 gauge pump with bird shot and that ammo is plentiful.

The article makes no mention of federal policies limiting supply. Rather, it attributes the lack of supply to a sharp increase of in sales. It looks like fear of government policy, rather than policy itself, is driving this shortage. But why I am I not surprised that the likes of Ken pretend that it is a DNC conspiracy? :roll:

Yeah, I am a real pretender, I made up the whole story, how do you like the way I reversed it with the Senators come to the rescue piece, you just quoted? Man I’m good…I’ve even got Peter R. M. Larson working for me now, but it sure is hard to fool you liberal no wingers Nick!

Kenn,

Do you have any evidence that the Obama administration was behind this** now reversed policy**?

Who are you calling a liberal? You were the one who clamored to vote for McSame, rather than for the only conservative running for president. You were the one quietly taking all of Bush Jr’s and the liberal-leaning moderate GOP congress’ liberal giveaways up the rectum. You are the one convinced that armaggeddon will occur any day now because your liberal-leaning GOP can’t whine its way back into power. Yep, I must be the liberal because I have the nerve not to sell out conservative values and because I do not let the hypocritical GOP sheep whining go unchecked. :roll:

Now Ken, do you care to provide some credible sources for your destruction of the ammunition supply conspiracy theory or will we continue to be subjected to your pontifications of how we will all burn in hell for not preventing an Obama / DNC takeover that your beloved party created the perfect storm for?

You’re picking on the wrong nut job Michael, I did not start this thread!

Really?

Are these your words?

Sources??? nah…I just made it up. :roll:

Who are you calling a nut job???

I merely started a thread about the shortage of ammunition.

Haven’t you heard?.. anyone who speaks of these fringe issues are automatically dubbed, nut jobs… or right wingers…or GOP sheep…or right wing nut job sore loosing gop sheep !
:wink:

Your a nut job if you don’t get your facts straight and pretend that there is some grand conspiracy behind everything.

You know what they say.

“If the shoe fits where it.”

This story turned out to be true but then later the facts changed when the rule was reversed.

But that didn’t stop some from claiming some great evil at work behind the scenes.

Yes, ammo is in short supply but not all types and increased demand is probably a large part of the reason for the shortages.

Mike,

The Obama administration has made it clear that at some point in time the so called assault weapons ban will be re enacted. do you know what calibers "assault weapons fire? it just so happens that it is the 308 and 223 round the military was ordered to destroy…coincidence or not?

So?

Does that mean 2+2=7 ?

Using your logic, the answer would be yes

Unlikely as it was a demonstration of your apparent logic.

Want to try again?

Do you have any proof of the our military being ordered by the Obama administration to do this ammunition destruction?