Image Resizing Question

Hello NACHI-ites,

I’ve got a dilemma. I could have posted this is report writing, but I chose this forum. Also, I apologize in advance for being wordy. I want to describe my problem as acurately as possible.

I use MSWord to write my reports (please don’t throw rocks at me I’m sensitive) :wink: and I always include photos and then reformat them to the size I wish. They come out very clear and crisp, just as does the original; however, I have to resize each separately and this takes quite a bit of time.

On another forum, someone mentioned the ability to resize photos in a batch. So…I’ve been downloading and trying several different programs. The problem in each of the resizing programs is that after the photos are resized, they are not very clear at all.

Obviously resizing images that remain clear can be done because I’m doing it in Word. Does anyone have any advice on this? I haven’t a clue who to ask about this, but I knew that the message board readers/writers were a diverse bunch.

And yes, I am considering some of the report writing software programs out there, but you know as well as I, that one must have substantial training on these programs in order to write reports quickly and use the software to its fullest.

Thank you so very much (in advance),
Bruce

I use XP power toys “resizer” with good results. It’s a free add on that can batch resize photos. I resize to 640 x 480 and drop them into frames in my document. I print my photos 2 to a row on a report page.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Assuming you are using Windows XP you can find it here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Mike, anything available for Antiques like me with 2000 Professional?

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hey Marcel,

the best choice for luddites like you is infranview, you can use it to edit single images or batch resize whole files of images. I use it to suck images straight from my camera and resize them into a working folder for my reports.

www.infranview.com

Regards

Gerry

Ditto irfanview is great and free.

Oh yeah and it’s free. :mrgreen:

I forgot the best bit :wink:

thanks Todd

Gerry

Bruce,
Since you are already using Word----you can resize them right in Outlook. Just highlight all of the pictures you want to downsize and then you should be able to find an option to “email pictures” where you will get a box that pops up asking if you want to make the images smaller (with choices as to size). Then (instead of actually sending them anywhere) you right-click the reduced pictures and choose “save attachments” and put them in the file you want them in-----works pretty easy when you get use to it and you don’t have to download any fancy programs. If you want more detailed instructions—email me privately.

Charles-Thanks for the Outlook info. I’ll try it out and see what happens.

Michael-What you’re saying brings up something interesting…

I actually shoot the photos in 640x480 and when I go to import them, they are so large only one will fit on a page in Word. I then resize them to 168x126 (my preference). I can fit three on a row at that size.

How is it that you can put two 640’s on the same row? Apparently, I need to take a class in imaging because I don’t understand that at all.

Anyone got an idea on the “blurry” factor I mentioned above?

Thanks for all of the advice. :wink:
Bruce

I did try this and the options provided were 640x480 as the smallest. I actually shoot the pic at this size, so it made no change.

I’m back to Square One.

Thanks for the help.
Bruce

Bruce, I think that if you resize them any smaller than that they will likely not “present” very well. 640x480 is only 50kb-----not very big. Why do you need them smaller?

Bruce,
You should have way more room than that on your Word page. Maybe you can email an example of your work to someone, and they can help you figure out what is going on.
I believe if you divide the screen into pixels, you should be able to fit one 1200x1400 or so (guessing on the numbers), and two 640x480’s, four 320x240’s (something like that).

That’s all I got.

Next.

Simple as can be. Open your picture. Right click on the picture and “copy”.

Open your blank word page. Right click, paste. The picture will appear and probably take up the full page.

Put your mouse over the picture, left click, and small boxes will appear in each corner as well as the half way points. Put your cursor on the lower right box, hold down the left button and drag diagonally towards the upper left box. The picture will resize. Stop where you want it. If you want to keep the proportion, always use the corner boxes. As an added item. Test with a picture of yourself. Use one of the side boxes and bring it towards the middle. Voila…you suddenly look slimmer.(ATTENTION PAUL ABERNATHY) Or move it out if you want to gain weight.

Where do you put your captions or explanations for the pictures?

I use the size 168x126 and it seems to work perfectly. Pictures are clear and sharp. I take them at 640x480 but resize.

Dunno…

Actually that is what I’m doing now. I want to do a batch resize.

Maybe I should do that.

The picture takes up nearly a whole page and though I take it at 640x480, MSWord actually reduces it by about 17% (I don’t remember the pixels) when I import the pic. I then format the picture to 168x126. This seems best for my situation. For our Texas standard form, I can get 2 pictures of this size under the comment area without going under the checkbox list.

I dunno, mebee I gottabug.

Bruce, have you tried either of the two solutions mentioned above? Microsoft PowerToys Resizer or Irfanview? Both are simple, easy to use and do the batch resizing you are asking for.

Thanks Gerry and you to Todd, and could someone tell me what the hell a luddite is? ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :wink:
</IMG></IMG>

Perhaps the most famous uprising against technology was the Luddite movement of England. According to Rybczynski (1983), the Luddites, named after King Ludd, or Ned Ludd, organized against technological advances in the textile industry in the Regency area of England from 1811-1816. History shows rejection of not just technology, but rejection of technology which was seen as threatening to their way of life and livelihood. As a precursor to modern day labor unions, one author called it, “collective bargaining by riot” (p. 41). It ended when the English Parliament dispatched 12,000 soldiers and the leaders of the movement were either executed or deported to Australia (p. 41). A similar but separate uprising in 1830 led to the destruction of threshing machines by farm workers in the English countryside.

Michael, that is funny I have to remember that one.

This is what I was taught many moons ago, the Luddites named after Mr Ludd were employed in the textile mills in the North of England,they were very upset that increasing mechanisation was putting them out of work as fewer semi skilled workers were required to run the looms, they expressed their collective angst by sabotaging the said looms.

I believe that the saying “putting a spanner (wrench) in the works” also comes from this era.

Such is the price of progress.

Regards

Gerry