The Importance of Marketing

A funny thing happened in the office today.

A local member for whom I designed a logo last week came in to pay us a visit, and shared a story with me. During the logo design process, the member shared with me that he had gotten some business cards made previously using an online service. The logo used on those cards was one that he wanted to keep, or to keep it looking similar when we designed and printed his cards.

I noticed right away that I had seen that logo online a billion times. I told him that it’s unwise to use that logo because an inspector wants their company to stand out, and also to avoid copyright infringement.

When the member came in earlier, he told me that on his VERY FIRST job, he and another inspector exchanged business cards. Take a peek at the attached image to see how they compare. Which company would you hire?

Stand out from your competition, and let us take care of your marketing with FREE design work!

InterNACHI Marketing

Marketing contact: jessica@internachi.org

home_inspector_marketing.jpg

That’s why you should not use template logos from online print companies

Locally i know of three small cleaning services that all have identical business cards.

Picture is too small and blurry.

The first (top) blurry one. Neither one is more than ok.

Blurry or no, the point is the cards are practically indistinguishable and obviously of the same design.

While I agree that it is important that one’s marketing materials have a signature quality, even more important is that one’s services stand out. That’s hard to do in this business.

BTW, I know my logo hits every cliche in the book, but the great unwashed seem to like it regardless.

I think CK intentionally blurred the text, but our entire staff gathered around to see the two cards. Amazing that two inspectors in the same area had nearly identical business cards and absolutely identical stock logos. Watch this…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdiLuqmjIO4)

Indeed. Service is what people remember, not a logo.

So much of this business is work of month, referral, and reputation.

And yes, for most people hiring a home inspector (including agents), they don’t see the same logos over and over again because they’re not looking at home inspectors every day.

Though having a generic card certainly doesn’t do anyone any good.

I switched to Generic cards last year for my 203K business and for commercial inspections. No logo. I like the clean look and the back of the card is blank in case you want to write something down. Way to go in my opinion.

I use a two sided business card as I advertise my inspections on one side and my thermal on the other side, works great for me. (Nachi designed)

To change the subject I lost one of my magnetic door signs ( I drive fast) the company that made them went out of business. I sent a pic of my sign to a company in Tx and asked could they duplicate it, their answer was immediately YES but before they started they wanted to re design the original. I said NO.

So what is wrong with my door sign or were they just working me for more money.

Generic cards implies cheap plain Jane second rate beginners. Never did like generic anything. I leave cards every where and I want them to shine like a

Diamond in a goats Butt;-):wink:

[quote=“gromicko, post:6, topic:124788”]

I think CK intentionally blurred the text, but our entire staff gathered around to see the two cards. Amazing that two inspectors in the same area had nearly identical business cards and absolutely identical stock logos. Watch this…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

That’s cool, do they all start out with a sketch? love to have a copy of the sketch :lol:

very nice

A couple of years ago I needed lawn service for some properties that I was overseeing, I had contacted a guy off of a card that I received and we spoke for a while.

I lost his card and did not have his number when It came time to start the lawn service.
I was at the bank and noticed his card in a display so I grabbed it and gave him a call.
It was a completely different guy and company, both had identical cards for the same service.
I later found the first guys number and hired him.

Everything we put out in public markets and speaks for who you are and what you do.
Quality service is vital and will get you added referrals and work. Brand identification is also important to not be a copy or blend into competitors marketing.