Insulation above garage?

I see this very often-- Attached garage with no insulation in attic above garage. I can not find any code on this subject. In the attached photos the area furthest away with insulation is above kitchen. The area without is garage. This just does not make sense to me, how cold will that kitchen be in January? I always recommended adding insulation in situations like this. But I can not believe this is to code.

024.jpg025.jpg

What’s the problem? The garage is not conditioned, neither is the attic. The insulation over the kitchen is to help keep conditioned air in the kitchen, and unconditioned air out of the kitchen. It doesn’t matter for the garage.

Typical new construction. Unless the buyer pays extra for an insulated garage, it isn’t insulated. Code states that “insulation shall be installed around all habitable areas.” Therefore the garage doesn’t require insulation. The kitchen should have insulation, which it does and the rear wall of the garage should also be insulated.

What’s worse is when a bathroom is installed on top of a garage, then the bathroom tile floor gets cold in the winter. It’s a common complaint from owners.

Be careful when inspecting areas adjacent to the garage, such as a laundry room. They often get no insulation either. Common defect.

I agree.

The unconditioned garage air may get into the attic, but where does it go from there? Insulation over conditioned spaces should keep it out. :mrgreen:

I understand what you are saying. But its nice to see insulation over garage when it is adjacent to a living space. I guess this is a good example of Code is Minimum.

I don’t see where adding insulation over the garage would have any affect on the temperature in the kitchen. The insulation is to separate conditioned spaces from unconditioned spaces. The garage and attic are both unconditioned, there is no reason to insulate between them unless you intend to condition the garage space itself.

Most people in this area use that area over the garage to store the blow up Santy Claus and other items that can withstand the high summers temps. Having insulation over an unheated / cooled garage is like putting a gold ring in a hog’s snout. Might look good but complete waste of time and money and accomplishes nothing.

Why?

What is it that the insulation over an unconditioned space will accomplish?

Good point Joe. I often find that too, either a laundry room or breakfast area.

The garage is outside of the house’s thermal boundry. As long as the home’s walls that it shares with the garage are insulated that is fine. As long as the ceiling above the living area is insulated that is fine. If you have a knee wall in the attic that should be insulated with an air barrier. There is no need and no benefit from insulating an unconditioned space.

[quote=“rbusch, post:1, topic:42397”]

I see this very often-- Attached garage with no insulation in attic above garage. I can not find any code on this subject. In the attached photos the area furthest away with insulation is above kitchen. The area without is garage. This just does not make sense to me, how cold will that kitchen be in January? I always recommended adding insulation in situations like this. But I can not believe this is to code.
[

Really don’t see how this effects kitchen unless there a thermal bridge to the kitchen.

I agree that insulating above the garage would have been a good idea and not all that costly when the place was built. Around here it’s one of those ultimate luxuries to have an insulated garage with a bit of heat to get the snow off the cars. But not a requirement that I know of.](“http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32033&stc=1&d=1253724418”)

Depending on your area, insulating a garage which is not conditioned is unwise.
It does nothing more than trap heat in the summer and cold during the winter.

Also, why are you looking at code anyway?.. part of the problem HI’s have are trying to be BI (building inspectors) which they are not.

regards

Jeff

AMEN!

Good point Jeff, rule of thumb in Florida, no duct required, no insulation required. Only living area under air requires insulation.

I am just making a generalization so please dont take my comments personal or that my comment is directly related to this question…it is NOT…with that said; too many HI’s are delving into areas for which they are 1) not paid to delve into, 2.) have no training (formal or otherwise) to give an opinion other than being an alarmist, and 3.) because of 1&2 create an environment to justify why REA’s (real estate agents) want to regulate us…basically they (REA’s) figure we don’t have common sense and therefore are trying to regulate same for which I understand their position in many cases.

As HI’s we are to report the condition of the home and simply note any thing that is a safety issue or adversely affects the habitability of the home…when HI’s start talking about code, and calling out things for which is ludricris…it does nothing but show that our field is spotted with so called professionals who don’t know what the heck they are doing.

I absolutely cringe as some of the questions and statements I see from time to time…of which I understand that very few HI’s actually ever have any construction experience within the disciplines for which they inspect but at the same time it often take less than 10 minutes to do a google search on a topic and simply do one’s own research which does a world of good in that one actually becomes more knowledgeable, creating a true learning environment vesus just typing a question an waiting for a quick response which may or may not even be accurate.

Anyway…again, nothing personal…just making a general statement.

(obviously I don’t subscribe to the adage there there is no question that is stupid…actually there are plenty of questions that are stupid if one is trying to pass themselves off as a professional)

And another Amen!