Life in the Fifties

I can still remember the last 4 years of the fifties. What a life.

For the ones that can remember;

Enjoy, http://thefiftiesandsixties.com/growingupinthefifties.htm

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Very good and oh, do I remember :slight_smile:

I remember all of it!!

The author remembers milk being delivered…I remember delivering that milk!

Didn’t really care for any of the candy bars in the video…my favorites were "Rollos’ and “Necco Wafers”.

Poodle skirts???..I still have mine!

No, wait…it was my sister’s…no, that’s no right–I never had a sister. Oh yeah, it was Janie’s down the street–yeah, that’s whose skirt I still have. Heh, heh, heh…

And the red '57 Ch-evy…never had one, but always wanted one…

Glad it brought back some good memories Jae.

I admit to nothing, you here, nothing. :smiley:

thanks Marcel…jim

my house in Indiana had a milk door for deliveries

Milk and Bread delivery!

2x4" blocks on my bike peddles.
The picknick table to get on (now I need the table to get on my horse)!

The toy isle in Woolworth’s 5&10 (and Western Auto).

Dragin Main is now against the law, COP’s see you more than twice and your gone!

My neighbor still finds (and shares) Necco Wafers!

You Canadians will like this, first car; 1959 Studebaker Lark
Previously owned by my uncle, a NASA/Sikorsky Engineer.
I worked on it for a year before I got my licence.
COP pulled me over for doing 108mph, 1/4 mile from a stop sign!
Let me go because he didn’t think the car could do it. Something wrong with the Radar!
But I got grounded forever when he went and told my Dad!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtFEkfQrYaY

Best option the car had, reclining front bench seats!

Yep, got to agree on that one. ha. ha. :wink:

when i was just 3-4, i got my head stuck in the milk chute looking out to see if i could see the milk man coming…sure startled him to see me stuck in there…He rang the bell and woke my mother up and the two of them had a heck of a time getting me out of there…never did that again…jim:(
</IMG>

My first car…a 1938 Packard 210.

It took a day and a half to get all of that thing around the corner.

Back seat was as big as a bedro…whoops!..or something.

Two-tone – Battleship Gray and Gun Metal Gray…straight eight flathead–

stick shift with overdrive…25 miles per gallon…slow as the dickens, but I did beat a '48 Lincoln V-12!!

Love that Packard!!!

Unbelievable - flashbacks…wow!
I remember the milk man, and the cream on the very top of the bottle. Whole milk. I remember a laundry man would come by and pick up my dads shirts to be cleaned with lots of starch. He always had gum for the kids. My mother was always at home. She ironed sheets and t-shirts and watched “as the world turned” for 15 minutes at noon. We only had 3 tv channels, black and white. When we went out it was very difficult to get us back inside again. Cards on our bicycle spokes. 6 cent cokes, 16 ounce “Topp Cola” . We had one policeman that would sit on the same side road and stop us if he thought we were speeding. He would also threaten to tell our parents. Dad made us rake the yard and shuck corn from the farmers market. We didn’t have a lot …BUT were so happy. I feel privileged to have been raised in the 50’s. I wish I could have raised my own kids the same way…

[quote=charper]
Unbelievable - flashbacks…wow!
I remember the milk man, and the cream on the very top of the bottle. Whole milk. I remember a laundry man would come by and pick up my dads shirts to be cleaned with lots of starch. He always had gum for the kids. My mother was always at home. She ironed sheets and t-shirts and watched “as the world turned” for 15 minutes at noon. We only had 3 tv channels, black and white. When we went out it was very difficult to get us back inside again. Cards on our bicycle spokes. 6 cent cokes, 16 ounce “Topp Cola” . We had one policeman that would sit on the same side road and stop us if he thought we were speeding. He would also threaten to tell our parents. Dad made us rake the yard and shuck corn from the farmers market. We didn’t have a lot …**BUT were so happy. I feel privileged to have been raised in the 50’s. I wish I could have raised my own kids the same way…/**quote]

Amen, and Amen…

Get the picture!
1955 homes being built in a new subdivision.
All I really remember were the one yard dollys full of concrete being wheeled around on high wooden scaffolds.
The Italian crew singing song after song. They had that foundation footing and wall poured in no time.
Then the vino flowed and the food too.
Yep! Those were the days.
T.Neyedli
www.alphahomeinspectioins.ca

I got my first Baseball Glove, like the one shown, by saving S&H Green Stamps. Boy, was I proud to have that glove. Talk about “Burn Out”! To be on a baseball team you had to have a Glove, Baseball Cap, Team Shirt, Cutoff Shorts and no shoes. You could always run faster with “no” shoes.

Oh yeah I really remember that!!!