How Long Should an Inspection Take?

Can someone let me know how long the average home inspection takes? I know there are major differences in style, location, age and size of homes.

Example - 20 to35 years old, about 1800 sq. ft.
Example - 50 to 75 years old, about 1800 sq. ft.
Example - 100+ years old, about 1800 sq. ft

Any input on different size of houses and age would be great.

Thank you.
Lisa

It will take as long as it takes. Not trying to be a smart a_s.

The above homes would be anywhere from 3 to 5 hours. It all depends on the condition and how many questions the buyer has if they are on sight.

Thanks David,

I know that was bit of a loaded question. Customers, condition and size change everything. I guess maybe the question was…

**How long does an “average” home inspection take? **

Mine generally are 3.5 hours. Didn’t know if that was more or less then it should take.

Is the stated sq/ft HABITABLE or TOTAL?
In my world of UNFINISHED BASEMENTS… An 1,800 sq/ft HABITABLE could and often takes twice as long as 1,800 sq/ft TOTAL.

2- 3 hours

Agree with above posts (Dave, Jeff & Paul).
And when a realtor try’s to hurry me I would just slow down. Nobody tells me to hurry up when they are not paying the bill.

If it’s taken you 3.5 than your okay as long as your not missing anything.
My motto is slow is fast and fast is slow. When you get more experienced you’ll be faster but not by that much.

1 Like

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

I’m sorry, did you just say you agree with me?

Who are you? What have you done with Kenn? :p:p

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Roughly one hour per 1000 sq ft for houses in good condition.

Kenn was just reading the Paul Abernathy thread, and obviously got you confused! :twisted:

On average, you should be able to do two full home inspections a day along with any ancillary inspections ordered. That includes travel time to and from the inspections and report generation. Unless you are horrible at upselling ancillary inspections (mold, radon, etc)… you should be able to bring home $1K/day (again, on average). If light permits or if they are smaller, newer homes, you can work a long day and squeeze in three full home inspections and ancillary inspections.

In my market (dense urban) 3 a day can be done but it’s tiring.
I do many small homes for the most part. 1 1/2 hours is average for a 1200 sq. ft. row home. And about 30 mins report writing time.

Regarding “upselling ancillary inspections”, we don’t have very high radon levels here so I advise the client and let them make their decision.

I don’t encounter much mold. Most of the homes I see are in quite good condition.

I don’t upsell ancillaries just for the sake of a buck.

I can do well doing a mix of draw inspections and home inspections. Throw in a couple of Homestyle or 203K write ups and I am able to work a 4- maybe 5 day week. 3 day weekends are my style.
The trick for me was finding a way to make a good income without working over 4 days a week.
3 inspections in a day will not happen with me.

If I was 30 years old I’d try to do 4 a day because I was a worker. Loved it at the time but content where I am now.

When setting aside time to complete the inspection and schedule out the day.

1.5 hours base inspection time.
Add 1/2 hour for every 500 sqft after the initial 1000 sqft.

1000 sqft 1.5 hours.
1500 sqft 2 hours
2000 sqft 2.5 hours

5 hrs and no one has shot You yet? incredible…

2 1/2 - 3 hrs on average. Depends mainly on the age of the home, and how easy access there is to the crawlspace and attic.

Ya, that’s a little long! Usually do a Home, Septic and WETT inspection around the 4 - 4 1/2 hr mark. At about the 2 hour time period, the REA’s are freaking out, and they want to start helping to get it done quicker. I always bring an extra shovel for them! :mrgreen:

John that looks about the same as I do here in Manitoba.

For the above 2.5 to maybe 3.5 if the 100 year old has a crawl space. Writing majority of report on site using mobile.