Man falls from roof and dies

Former Green Bay receiver Max McGee dies in fall from roof

td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }By STEVE KARNOWSKI, Associated Press Writer
October 21, 2007
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20071021/thumb.4c7cb567a06044abb5005bbdec075ba2.obit_mcgee_ny107.jpg
AP - Oct 21, 1:53 am EDT
More Photos
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – Max McGee, the unexpected hero of the first Super Bowl and a long-time challenge for Hall of Fame coach Vince Lombardi, died Saturday after falling from the roof of his home, police confirmed. He was 75.
Police were called to the former Green Bay receiver’s Deephaven home around 5:20 p.m., Sgt. Chris Whiteside said. Efforts to resuscitate McGee were unsuccessful. McGee was blowing leaves off the roof when he fell, according to news reports. A phone message left at a number listed for an M. McGee wasn’t immediately returned. “I just lost my best friend,” former teammate Paul Hornung told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “(His wife) Denise was away from the house. She’d warned him not to get up there. He shouldn’t have been up there. He knew better than that.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-obit-mcgee&prov=ap&type=lgns

So all you Home Inspectors out there inspecting roofs, Please be careful.
Ironiccally, I was doing just that this afternoon myself. But, I am not 75.

Marcel :slight_smile:

Probably hyperventilated and got dizzy.

Roofs are nothing to fool around with. Several years ago I had an Uncle fall from a single story roof trying to get a toy off the roof, unfortunately the fall killed him.

People out there take it for granted and walk on a roof like it’s their domain. The roof is probably the most dangerous part of an inspection, treat it that way.

A sad day for us packer fans

We had a Inspector here in Chicago 4- years ago fall off a garage roof, hit his head on the bumper of the parked car and died. A roof is a dangerous place.

It’s sad that this man died…but what the hell is 75 year old doing on the roof?

We in Wisconsin are in mourning for Max. He was a great football player. He was also the color man on the radio for 19 years for the Greenbay Packers radio network. He will be missed by all. We will be flying our Packer flags at half staff for the rest of the season for him.

Man was great and drove vince nuts! Caught the first Packer superbowl touchdown!!!

Curt

Mario, we might want to ask this to one of our friend that we both know.

And to this, I think we need to stress to all Members, Please be careful out there.

Marcel :slight_smile:

What age do you feel a person should stop doing things that they enjoy .
I had a friend of mine spill a galon of pain over his wife She was painting the deck and he was painting the sofit She was just under eighty and he was over eighty.
I am a couple of years short of seventy Five and cut my finger off last May.
Should I quit doing things NO F in way .
As Paul H said one finger in 70 + years I guess you gat about 560 more years to go.
I am in Better shape then many fifty year old peole I do inspections for.
If I like this other person who fell from the roof fall and die so be it I live my life the way I feel I should . We have had Home Inspectors fall at 40 Why not use your words (" but what the hell is ( 40++= ??) year old doing on the roof?
[/quote]
").
I could use the same thing with you lets say you slipped and hit your head when you where in the water two weeks ago ( What the hell is a ?? year old doing in the water in October.)
You do what you feel you can do and it ends, You as the song says
( I did it my way )
I Walked the roof this morning twice once when I got there and again to show the Student Home inspector some things.
I got into an attic 9 5/8 inch by 21 1/2
Client said I have had three other Home Inspections and none where near as good as yours .
Do you want to deprive people of the inspection they deserve .
Do you want to deprive me of doing what I enjoy
Do you want to deprive a new Home inspector of good instruction.
I rest my case .
… Cookie

You never know, that may not have been an accident. haha :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Age is only a number. If you’re fit enough to do “it”, and “it” means anything you want, then be my guest. I look up to older folks that can get out and enjoy life. Hell, you don’t want to sit in a chair and rot away, make the best of it.

Good for you Roy !! :smiley:

I have always admired people in the elder years to show me what capacities they are in by doing what they love most, and to me that is beautiful thing.

I am one that will be building in the the age of a 80 years old if I live that long.

The thought to remember is that not all people are a like and some are better with age.

Getting older my self, I am beginning to realize that my mind says it is not a problem to run this Jack Hammer and climb up a steel column and go make the connections. Did it all the time when I was in my younger years.

But you know what, when you least expect it, your mind will tell your body parts a command and in a point in time, it might not respond.

That is the one to watch out for.

But for the most part, I am the same way as far as walking the roofs, I enjoy it and love it, but the killer is when the body does not obey the commands of the above. That is the danger and everyone whether they are 20 or 80 should remember that.

It is one thing to say you are only as old as you think, but that is the mind telling you that and not the body.

I think I stress out my opinion on this one.

Due to previous injuries, 30 years later when my mind tells my body to do something, it does not react anymore on certain activities that were takened for granted at one point. It catches up, and gives no warning.

So to all out there in the elder years, which includes me, Please be careful.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Hello All,
My father was one of the best roofing contractors in Virginia. He was always booked 6 months ahead. He was 79 years old and was in the middle of a job in downtown Newport News that was a 4 story building. He had ladders “strung” to get up on top of the building. No access from inside. He could run circles around most guys half his age. Age is a number…different people age differently. He died. Brain aneurysm!
One other thing. Roofs are extremely dangerous. Ever trip walking along a flat surface. One trip up high and that’s it. Next min your on the ground. We have a lot of metal roofs up here in the mountains. Last year by June we had over 14 people slip off of them and get hurt. Why? It was hot and they were sweating. One drop and it is like ice. Just a warning. If you are on a metal roof be sure it is extremely dry. If it even looks like rain don’t get on it because if it starts to sprinkle you will come down fast! Nothing to play with.
Roofers Daughter
Dana;)

Cookie, this is for you . . . **
George Carlin’s Views on Aging

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we’re kids? If you’re less than 10 years old, you’re so excited about aging that you think in fractions.
“How old are you?” “I’m four and a half!” You’re never thirty-six and a half. You’re four and a half, going on five! That’s the key.
You get into your teens, now they can’t hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead.
“How old are you?” “I’m gonna be 16!” You could be 13, but hey, you’re gonna be 16! And then the greatest day of your life . . . you become 21! .
Even the words sound like a ceremony . . . YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!
But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk! He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There’s no fun now, you’re Just a sour-dumpling. What’s wrong? What’s changed?
You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you’re PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the brakes, it’s all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50 and your dreams are gone.
But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn’t think you would!
So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60.
You’ve built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it’s a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday!
You get into your 80s and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime. And it doesn’t end there. Into the 90s, you start going backwards; “I Was JUST 92.”
Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. “I’m 100 and a half!”
May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!
HOW TO STAY YOUNG

1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctors worry about them. That is why you pay "them "
  2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.
  3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. “An idle mind is the devil’s workshop.” And the devil’s name is Alzheimer’s.
  4. Enjoy the simple things.
  5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.
  6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.
  7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it’s family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.
  8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
  9. Don’t take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county; to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.
  10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.
    AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

. . . keep up the good work, I love what I do and look forward to working as long and as hard as I can.

Roy

Wow!!

I wasn’t trying to piss you off brother. $hit I’m 49 and I stopped walking on roofs 5 years ago I know my limitations. We all think we still have what it takes to do things we did when we were younger but the reality is we DON’T.

If I do reach the ripe old age of 75 I can tell you I would not be climbing roofs.

BTW Roy you are the exception! You do not look a day over 50 and you move like a 25 year old!!

I agree with that one Mario.

Marcel:) :smiley:

Roy

I have to tell you this.

I used to hunt up until 10 years ago. I remember going in the bush at the first crack of light and hunt all day. I probably walked on average 10-15 miles/day. I know I can’t do it today.
With work it’s the same. I’m allways off with timing. Jobs that took 1hr now take 4 hrs. Jobs that took 1 day now take 2 or more. You get the idea.

That’s MY reality Roy. I’m still in denial but I’m working on it!!:smiley:
</IMG>

Marcel

I had the pleasure of having Roy and Char at my cottage recently and I have to tell you Roy has more energy than I do!! I love him like a brother and I have to be honest I hope I’m as fit as Roy is when [if] I’m his age!!

</IMG></IMG>

Tick me off ,not in the least .
Mario I think you and your wife are the greatest.
Does the mean we always have to agree certainly not.
I also enjoy a good disagreement and never do I hold a grudge for more then thirty seconds.
Thanks for plug on my age .
But as I said I live for now and when I feel I have reached the stop now I will do it .
Fortunately Char and I have always been active and able to make instant decisions.
Example last Night she said no work tomorrow lets go to the USA so off we go the see and spend some money in the Good old USA .
. TTYL Mario… Roy

Roy

Enjoy your trip to the States my friend!! I love it when our Canadian dollar is at par!!