Many older home inspectors are retiring.

I’ve been receiving many emails from older home inspectors who are retiring this month or by the end of the year. They’ve had long careers but aren’t interested in inspecting through another winter. They are much like the baby boomers… guys who started with InterNACHI in their 50’s ten years ago and are now hanging up their flashlights.

I see myself like Charlie …going till I drop or find something else.
No retirement funds and no options that I am aware of.

What i would not give to retire with dignity like I thought I would have 5 years ago :frowning:

I guess life just likes to f u c k with ya sometimes :frowning:

Tell them to post their tools in the classifieds :slight_smile:

Worked great for us Now retired 3 years . Sold the company .
Still have full health . Still very active many hobbies.
. Enjoying every day .
Still give help where we can.

All the best Char and Roy

Roy if you dont mind me asking what did you get when you sold your company?

Dignity? You? No comment. …:mrgreen:

I would already have been retired but besides enjoying what I do I provide many doctors with new cars. My wife has had two rounds of cancer one with a bone marrow transplant and the latest breast cancer with a total over 1/2 million dollar price tag that the insurance does not cover all of it. She passed her cancer over to me;-) and now I am being treated with raditation for prostrate cancer 5 days a week. Ask me why I still work and I will tell you it was a stupid question.

I have no time for the whiners one must do what is required for as long as you can do it.

If I broke my heel I would crawl on my hands and knees to my next inspection. That is what life has taught me I just play the hands that are dealt me :wink:

Thats all you can do.
Life is being a Salmon swimming upstream and soon as you stop fighting it’s over.

Charlie …

Remember that old Marine Corps saying.

If you can’t beat 'em, shoot 'em.

Ever since my heart bypass, I kept noting I was getting out of breath more often and easier. VA doctor’s told me was due to bypass and would improve … it didn’t. Went to cardiac rehab last winter and early spring … no improvement.

Kept having people ask if I was ok because I was breathing hard with very little exertion. Also kept coughing with constant sinus drainage. Antibiotics and steroids were not helping. Sleeping 8-10 hrs a night and waking up worn out. Went to an allergist / OK there. Then went to pulmonary docs last month and they tell me its COPD with my lungs working at about 52% … Don’t smoke, but did maybe 20 years ago ???/

Like you said, after almost $200k in bills on heart bypass, and losing a whole summer (4 months off work) and a slow real estate market … Quitting is not an option.

Like Nick said, I’m getting ready to start selling tools, meters, etc much of which is almost new (had bought for new inspector but he flopped almost immediately) … It is what it is.

4 more years but at a reduced number of inspections per week.

I pray throughout the day for you guys. I thank the good Lord daily for what Nick Gromicko and InterNACHI, has done for me. By the way Nick: Thank you, for looking out for me recently and responding to my email.

It’s good to see inspectors like: Bob Elliott, Michael Meeker, Roy Cooke, David Hays, and Juan Jimenez, doing okay.

Charley, I am sorry to hear about your and your wife’s cancer. I will pray harder to the Lord for you both. I meant no disrespect earlier this month about the color pink. I will proudly wear the pink breast cancer awareness, from here on out.

Dan Bowers, I have respected you, Gary Farnsworth, Larry Kage, and many others from day one. I will also take some extra time and pray for each of you. None of you know me personally, but I care for each of you deeply.

I constantly learn from each of you. Heck, I have said many prayers for inspectors like: Jeffrey Jonas, James Keilson, Joe Farsetta, and even the newer inspectors. I pray for your health, safety, knowledge and understanding, your thoroughness, and your professionalism. I pray for your families, your clients, and your finances to all go according to God’s will.

When I first entered the home inspection profession, way back in 1996- I was a lot like Juan Jimenez. I respect Juan. I have had setbacks like a nasty divorce and custody battles lasting over a decade, that drained me dry. I’ve had people try to run me over, shoot at me, and get me locked up.

I have had a tree fall on me (taking me out for a year) a hernia that will require surgery, and my certain family members trying to destroy me from within. I have almost gave up hope. I’m in one of the worst situations imaginable to a man right now. I will not go into detail but Nick Gromicko himself has gave me hope and I can’t say thanks enough. I am a very proud member of InterNACHI.

I will go for now. I’m going to pray for my InterNACHI family. When the day comes that our Lord calls me for my judgment: I pray that he will forgive me of my sins. I pray that he will let me be with my grandparents, and my friends and family again.

I’m going to thank the Lord for each of you and for giving me some of the best years of my life, being a home inspector. I wasn’t born a home inspector, but I will die being one.

Thanks again Nick and InterNACHI for everything that you’ve done for me.

I pray throughout the day for you guys. I thank the good Lord daily for what Nick Gromicko and InterNACHI, has done for me. By the way Nick: Thank you, for looking out for me recently and responding to my email.

It’s good to see inspectors like: Bob Elliott, Michael Meeker, Roy Cooke, David Hays, and Juan Jimenez, doing okay.

Charley, I am sorry to hear about your and your wife’s cancer. I will pray harder to the Lord for you both. I meant no disrespect earlier this month about the color pink. I will proudly wear the pink breast cancer awareness, from here on out.

Dan Bowers, I have respected you, Gary Farnsworth, Larry Kage, and many others from day one. I will also take some extra time and pray for each of you. None of you know me personally, but I care for each of you deeply.

I constantly learn from each of you. Heck, I have said many prayers for inspectors like: Jeffrey Jonas, James Keilson, Joe Farsetta, and even the newer inspectors. I pray for your health, safety, knowledge and understanding, your thoroughness, and your professionalism. I pray for your families, your clients, and your finances to all go according to God’s will.

When I first entered the home inspection profession, way back in 1996- I was a lot like Juan Jimenez. I respect Juan. I have had setbacks like a nasty divorce and custody battles lasting over a decade, that drained me dry. I’ve had people try to run me over, shoot at me, and get me locked up.

I have had a tree fall on me (taking me out for a year) a hernia that will require surgery, and my certain family members trying to destroy me from within. I have almost gave up hope. I’m in one of the worst situations imaginable to a man right now. I will not go into detail but Nick Gromicko himself has gave me hope and I can’t say thanks enough. I am a very proud member of InterNACHI.

I will go for now. I’m going to pray for my InterNACHI family. When the day comes that our Lord calls me for my judgment: I pray that he will forgive me of my sins. I pray that he will let me be with my grandparents, and my friends and family again.

I’m going to thank the Lord for each of you and for giving me some of the best years of my life, being a home inspector. I wasn’t born a home inspector, but I will die being one.

Thanks again Nick and InterNACHI for everything that you’ve done for me.

I am 63, and feel like my 30’s. My 11 year-old grandson and I ride bikes often, play basketball, and play video games. I take a physical and EKG every year. I am very lucky. Most everyone lived in my family on both sides into their 90’s.

Have someone to keep up with. It keeps you young.

For those of you who are retiring, check with a good financial advisor. There are hidden tax advantages if you owned a business for over 10 years, and you can collect full SS and still work a certain percentage, and get tax write-offs for 401K withdrawals. Me, the RV/coach is waiting…

After reading the posts, all my trivial pains & complaints went away.
At 64, I am blessed to be healthy & active.
I guess I take it for granted & should be more thoughtful of anyone’s age & medical conditions.
These messages help me put all in prospective.

God bless you guys ~ all the best!

Old age really does suck. Performing home inspections was a rewarding experience and I miss the challenges.
I was forced into retirement as a result of open heart bypass surgery. Recovery was too slow and when recovery was complete, age and stamina issues suggested I give it a miss.
Retirement was not part of my plan.
Cheers…DV

Yes, warmest regards…

Love the candid truth. :slight_smile: well said.

And sometimes, even if you keep swimming, you are eaten by a bear!