Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors Discuss whatever you wish in this forum.

Need a home inspection in Kansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/8/18, 10:51 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Maximizing Perceived Value.

Sounds good on paper but I have to operate my business on ROI

1. Thermal Imaging

2. Supply air duct camera scans

3. Sewer line Scans

http://www.oklahomathermalinfraredimaging.com/
http://www.freedomexpressinspections.com/
Master HVAC Mechanic Retired
Level III Thermographer # 8486 Infraspection Institute
CMI Certified Master Inspector
Residential/Commercial Inspections
Moisture Intrusion Expert Witness
55 years in the Trades
Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 12/8/18, 11:04 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Starts off good...
Quote:
One way to increase your profits is to provide services or items that increase the perceived value of your services – so that you can ultimately command higher fees ­– for more than it costs you to do or provide those services or items. This is measured by the perceived value-to-actual cost ratio...
...but perhaps you need to preach the issue regarding Home Inspection pricing FIRST!!!
I would bet a high percentage of new (and established) inspectors have NO clue what the true cost of operating their business is, thus base their FEE on what the local competition charges (who is even more ignorant in many cases), NOT their own unique needs.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

"We Respect Our Clients Right to Privacy"

Old 12/8/18, 11:41 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
Starts off good...
...but perhaps you need to preach the issue regarding Home Inspection pricing FIRST!!!
I would bet a high percentage of new (and established) inspectors have NO clue what the true cost of operating their business is, thus base their FEE on what the local competition charges (who is even more ignorant in many cases), NOT their own unique needs.
While I agree that many, and perhaps most, inspectors do not understand how to analyze costs versus income when setting prices, I don't see what their unique needs have to do with pricing. I may decide I "need" $450 to inspect a 3000 square foot home, but if there is a majority of inspectors who can convince the general public that they can do as good a job for $350, I will find myself with a lot of spare time on my hands.

When this time of year rolls around, I can tell the other inspectors are getting desperate because I win fewer inspections per opportunity. I have decided to stand firm and let this pass, and use my spare time taking care of marketing chores that I don't have time to attend to during the rest of the year.

Bottom line, it is not the inspector, but the general public, that sets prices. The inspector who forgets this basic fact of economics creates a challenge for his/her self that is very difficult to overcome.

William Bruce Ogletree
Ogletree Inspection Services

214-287-4630
www.ogletreehi.com
ogletreehi@gmail.com