Must be engineer

Customer is trying to use me for a final walk through inspection. Problem is, the builder has told her that only a structural engineer is qualified to inspect the house.

First time I heard that one. Usually they just try to request some oddball sort of insurance. Sound familiar to anyone?

It is common, in this market area, to find Builders requesting information with regard to Certification, E&O, General Liability, Workmans Compensation, etc…

Provide the Information requested to the Builder…

Provide the contracted Inspection related information to the Client…

Win-Win for all parties.

The Builder probably knows a good Engineer also I bet…](*,)

He already told my potential client that he knows an engineer that would be glad to inspect for about $1000.

:smiley: …See…:smiley:

Okay, so how is a structual engineer qualified to inspect anything other than structual components of the home? Is he qualified, by training and experience, to inspect the plumbing, HVAC and electrical systems? If he has no training in these areas, he is in violation of engineering ethics, and standard PE practices, by practicing outside the scope of his expertise. First, you know its a scam to drive business to his buddy. Secondly, its restraint of free trade. He can’t dictate who the purchaser uses for their inspection. Third, if you really want to screw their game, find out the engineer’s name and email a simple question of his qualifications to perform HI to AZ’s licensing board for engineers. He may find his PE license very quickly under review for possible suspension or revokation.

Geez, builders are getting worse than the used house salesmen!

In Illinois, the HI licensing law clearly states that anyone inspection 2 or more systems (i.e. structure and roofing) MUST be a state licensed HI. SEs can inspect structure, sparkys can inspect electrical, but for one person to inspect the both, they must be a licensed HI.

I have seen inspections were architects try to do home inspections. I, quietly) explain that they are violating state law by doing this.

I guess licensing does solve some things. :mrgreen:

Most of the engineers I know here are rocket scientists. They could put a man on the moon but very few could drive a nail.

My youngest brother is a licensed structural engineer. He designs nuclear containment buildings for the government. Very demanding.

Ask the guy to evaluate a back porch on a 3 flat and he hasn’t a clue. Quote from him. “They teach us to designs billion dollar bridges and very demanding structures. Give me a brick veneer frame house, I would not have a clue on where to begin. They just don’t teach us that.”

I have taken him on a few ‘ride alongs’ and had him help me write a structure course. He told me that he learned way more than he helped.

Residential is a whole different animal.

Why not refer your client to the state department responsible for home inspection licensing and oversight. That should satisfy your client.

Heard that one from a builder I used to compete with. His reasons were that most people wont pay the cost for an engineer, therefor, the work isn’t inspected. He felt it was a good business practice. Probably why he is out of business today.
We have an engineer near me, damn good one and VERY ethical. When he gets a call from someone that has been told by a builder it requires a structural, he gives a price, and then offers to send them a list of HI’s qualified to do the inspection. If they find a problem, they usually alert the client and suggest she call him back.