Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors

Notices

Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors Discuss whatever you wish in this forum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3/19/13, 11:29 AM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to dmaricic Send a message via AIM to dmaricic Send a message via MSN to dmaricic Send a message via Yahoo to dmaricic
Default Re: Nathan & Dominic: Does HON reveal or sell our client's information to alarm sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
I agree Billy. That is exactly what was inferred... that the info would be transmitted upon the click of the ad. Kevin (via Nick) did not state that the consumer needed to request further contact from the vendor. How could he have honestly missed making a disclosure like that?

This has always been one of the major issues I have with Nathan Thornberry... never a direct, straight, complete answer to any question asked of him.

I believe one of the reasons of Nicks concern, is RecallChek's affiliation with HIP, which is connected to HON. There is no clear distinction who all the players are, and how they are related to each other. Correct me if I am wrong, but HG and 3D (or whoever else was mentioned) do not have this relationship.
That's not true Jeffrey. 3D was integrated with RecallChek more that a year before HIP. I waited 2 years after Nathan asked me to integrated until I had so many users begging me to that I didn't have a choice any more. I wanted to make sure that RC was going to stay around before integrating. The only reason HomeGauge wasn't integrated (which they have now announced they will be) is that they are working on their own version of Nathans service and didn't want to connect with their competition. I don't know a software vendor that isn't integrated with RC. With over 4000 users, how could someone not be?

Every integration we have is about saving time. It's all optional and requires you to choose to push data so you do that have to retype it on every system.

2008 InterNACHI Member and Innovator of the Year
HOME INSPECTOR PRO HOME INSPECTION SOFTWARE

InterNACHI Members SAVE $150

Easy to use, customizable Home Inspector Software that runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad!

You can now import HomeGauge, 3D, PalmTech & InspectVue Narratives.

InterNACHI members receive 3 months of FREE home inspector website hosting

Insert Video, Interactive Glossary and Sketches Into your Report!!

Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/19/13, 11:41 AM
Active Poster

Default Re: Nathan & Dominic: Does HON reveal or sell our client's information to alarm sales

It started out as a free newsletter for inspectors to give to their clients. Awesome. Not an original product, but I like it.

But now we discover that all the largest (not just one) reporting software companies in our industry are integrating our client's data to a for-profit company that uses our clients' data to sell pay-per-click ads to repair contractors within that newsletter. It's not over the line, but it is right on the edge IMHO.
Old 3/19/13, 11:50 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Dom can be trusted.

Dom can also be overruled on what data is collected and what data can be made available.

Dom is a portion of a consortuim or partnership of some sort. He does not stand alone, as his work product is but a piece of the overall engine.

Dom can be trusted.

Dom holds the keys to the servers, physically and logically, but not perhaps legally.

As with all business arrangements, partnership agreements, and corporate structures, everyone gets a vote. Dom is likely but one vote.

Can anyone say for sure that the database is not totally indexed and seachable? Information beyond client name and address?
We have already seen a blurb about pool companies and targeted marketing. That translates into all sorts of data being collected.

The data is automatically collected regardless of whether the Client agrees. This is an absolute. The client agrees to get a newsletter. This is a seemingly innocent trade, thet the Client may not even recognize as a trade.

So, whether the Client is spammed or not is secondary to what the data can be used for. And, once they "opt in", I do not believe information they receive electronically can be considered as spam; they signed up.

Dom can be trusted. I mean this.

Dom can be over-ruled. When the pay per click thing fails to net enough recurring income to sustain the operation, what else does the operation have that is worth real money? The data collected. A simple vote can make that very data available for a price. The information can be sold. Imagine it being sold to a single entity...

Imagine the potential uses of this information. Beyond marketing. Beyond discounts and coupons. Perhaps a searchable, ever growing database of home information. Accessible, for a fee, to everyone from insurance companies, to alarm salesman, to banks.

All information provided through the software used by the collection clerks (e.g.: the inspectors).

Brilliant. Automatic. Insidious.

Anyone ever wonder why competitors in a shrinking market would team up and link their software compatability for the single purpose of collecting client data and inspection information ? (yep, I said it)

Cha ching! $$$

And not via pay-per-click. Every angel investor and successful businessman performs an analysis of where to best invest time and money. Aside from capitalization and depreciation, a Return on Investment is paramount.

Dom states that a "ton of money" has been invested in this. Where does anyone actually believe the true ROI is?

Dom can be trusted. Dom is not truly in control. He may be the keeper of the servers, but not the owner of the information.

Remember that.

Last edited by jfarsetta; 3/19/13 at 11:56 AM..
Old 3/19/13, 11:51 AM
Active Poster

Dom explains:
Quote:
Every integration we have is about saving time. It's all optional and requires you to choose to push data so you do that have to retype it on every system.
Dom, so you are enticing home inspectors with time savings and free client newsletters and apps to "push" their client's confidential data to a for-profit company that uses that data to sell pay-per-click advertising to repair contractors and alarm system salesmen. Have I summarized the program fairly or am I being a total ____? You can be blunt with me.
Old 3/19/13, 11:54 AM
Active Poster

If anyone is overly protective of their client's data, they can switch to 3D software. Oh wait, no they can't.

Well then, if anyone is overly protective of their client's data, they can switch to HomeGauge software. Oh wait, no they can't.
Old 3/19/13, 11:54 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Standardization will kill this profession as we know it. I will never use a software product which collects and distributes customer data to dubious sales people. My customers expect me to protect their personal information, the Code of Ethics demands it.

Quote:
The InterNACHI member shall not communicate any information about an inspection to anyone except the client without the prior written consent of the client, except where it may affect the safety of others or violates a law or statute.
Death (painful) to data collectors everywhere.

Yes, I'd personally choose a CMI every time over every other inspector. ~ Nick Gromicko, InterNACHI Founder

Certified Master Inspector - 2010
Florida Licensed Home Inspector - HI176
Florida Licensed Mold Assessor - MRSA208

Square-One Inspection "Assurance begins here"

Last edited by jburkeson1; 3/19/13 at 11:58 AM..
Old 3/19/13, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarsetta View Post
Dom can be trusted.

Dom can also be overruled on what data is collected and what data can be made available.

Dom is a portion of a consortuim or partnership of some sort. He does not stand alone, as his work product is but a piece of the overall engine.

Dom can be trusted.

Dom holds the keys to the servers, physically and logically, but not perhaps legally.

As with all business arrangements, partnership agreements, and corporate structures, everyone gets a vote. Dom is likely but one vote.

Can anyone say for sure that the database is not totally indexed and seachable? Information beyond client name and address?
We have already seen a blurb about pool companies and targeted marketing. That translates into all sorts of data being collected.

The data is automatically collected regardless of whether the Client agrees. This is an absolute. The client agrees to get a newsletter. This is a seemingly innocent trade, thet the Client may not even recognize as a trade.

So, whether the Client is spammed or not is secondary to what the data can be used for. And, once they "opt in", I do not believe information they receive electronically can be considered as spam; they signed up.

Dom can be trusted. I mean this.

Dom can be over-ruled. When the pay per click thing fails to net enough recurring income to sustain the operation, what else does the operation have that is worth real money? The data collected. A simple vote can make that very data available for a price. The information can be sold. Imagine it being sold to a single entity...

Imagine the potential uses of this information. Beyond marketing. Beyond discounts and coupons. Perhaps a searchable, ever growing database of home information. Accessible, for a fee, to everyone from insurance companies, to alarm salesman, to banks.

All information provided through the software used by the collection clerks (e.g.: the inspectors).

Brilliant. Automatic. Insidious.

Anyone ever wonder why competitors in a shrinking market would team up and link their software compatability for the single purpose of collecting client data and inspection information ? (yep, I said it)

Cha ching! $$$

And not via pay-per-click. Every angel investor and successful businessman performs an analysis of where to best invest time and money. Aside from capitalization and depreciation, a Return on Investment is paramount.

Dom states that a "ton of money" has been invested in this. Where does anyone actually believe the true ROI is?

Dom can be trusted. Dom is not truly in control. He may be the keeper of the servers, but not the owner of the information.

Remember that.
So are you simply being Nicks trained and loyal attack dog here or are you a concerned HIP user ?

What do you use again ?

What is your interest here again ?

lol....bored ?
Old 3/19/13, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
are using our client's data (which we are forced to give them in order to generate our inspection reports).
And yet another OUT AND OUT LIE. Plain and simple. You still don't know what you are talking about so why LIE ?

Stephen Stanczyk
Washington State Licensed Home Inspector # 221
President, Washington Association of Property Inspectors (WAPI)
(253) 241-0602 calls answered until 10pm

Pierce County -Thurston County - King County - Kitsap County
Old 3/19/13, 1:05 PM
Active Poster

Maybe I'm wrong Stephen. Let's ask Dominic. Dom, can I create a report on HIP software without entering my client's contact info? Now that you are an owner in a company that uses that info to sell pay-per-click ads to repair contractors... I'm kinda thinking I'd rather not let you have it. No offense. Anyway, can I still use your software without providing my client's contact info?
Old 3/19/13, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong Stephen. Let's ask Dominic. Dom, can I create a report on HIP software without entering my client's contact info?
You are not required to use Dom's online service offerings.

I use HIPro and do not upload any info to Dom's servers as I do not subscribe to his report storage, HON or cloud services.

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me

Old 3/19/13, 1:10 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
I use HIPro and do not upload any info to Dom's servers as I do not subscribe to his report storage, HON or cloud services.
O.K. Thank you. I don't do inspections, so I was under the wrong impression that HIP and HG and 3D users sent their client's reports through those companies some how. That's good news.
Old 3/19/13, 1:17 PM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to dmaricic Send a message via AIM to dmaricic Send a message via MSN to dmaricic Send a message via Yahoo to dmaricic

Quote:
O.K. Thank you. I don't do inspections, so I was under the wrong impression that HIP and HG and 3D users sent their client's reports through those companies some how. That's good news.
What Mike said is correct. The information does not need to go through HIP or 3D in any way. That mass majority of our users do their report on their computer, generate a PDF and email it to their clients. The data doesn't pass through HIP. They don't even need to be on the Internet at any point in time!

HG users usually do as the majority of their guys use their web based reports BUT they do have a direct to PDF option. The only software I know of where data must go to the company would be ReportHost and Horizon. I think there's one or two other cloud based programs but those are the main two. Of course that doesn't mean they're sharing information.

2008 InterNACHI Member and Innovator of the Year
HOME INSPECTOR PRO HOME INSPECTION SOFTWARE

InterNACHI Members SAVE $150

Easy to use, customizable Home Inspector Software that runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad!

You can now import HomeGauge, 3D, PalmTech & InspectVue Narratives.

InterNACHI members receive 3 months of FREE home inspector website hosting

Insert Video, Interactive Glossary and Sketches Into your Report!!

Old 3/19/13, 1:20 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaricic View Post
That's not true Jeffrey. 3D was integrated with RecallChek more that a year before HIP. I waited 2 years after Nathan asked me to integrated until I had so many users begging me to that I didn't have a choice any more. I wanted to make sure that RC was going to stay around before integrating. The only reason HomeGauge wasn't integrated (which they have now announced they will be) is that they are working on their own version of Nathans service and didn't want to connect with their competition. I don't know a software vendor that isn't integrated with RC. With over 4000 users, how could someone not be?

Dom, thanks for the "Correct me if I am wrong" reply as I do not follow the updates for Vendors that I do not subscribe to, and I do not wish to make knowingly false statements.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/19/13, 1:26 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Send a message via Yahoo to bboerner

Quote:
Nick I am a master HIP user. Been using it since I started harrassing you and others on this board over five years ago Mike is 100% correct. Dom has no idea what I put into his software unless I transmit the data myself. Simply entering clients data into a report does not automatically transfer the report or any data within the report to Dom or anybody else "unless" I connect to the internet manually.

STL Home Inspection Services
Residential / Radon / Sewer / Thermal /
Termite / Gas / Mold / Level 2 Chimney

Bill Boerner
Multi Inspector Firm
(314) 805-2137
office@stlhomeinspector.com
Stlhomeinspector.com
Serving: St. Louis and Surrounding
Old 3/19/13, 1:30 PM
Active Poster

Thanks Dom. You can understand why I'm nervous about our members about uploading their reports to a company who's owner also owns a company that uses the client data inside those reports to sell pay-per-click ads to repair contractors.

Nothing against you personally, but as you explained, you are a minority owner in HON. I don't even know two of your partners you named.
Closed Thread