Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors Discuss whatever you wish in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 3/19/13, 2:32 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: Nathan & Dominic: Does HON reveal or sell our client's information to alarm sales

Quote:
Simply entering clients data into a report does not automatically transfer the report or any data within the report to Dom or anybody else "unless" I connect to the internet manually.
Thanks Bill. Good to know.
Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/19/13, 2:34 PM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to dmaricic Send a message via AIM to dmaricic Send a message via MSN to dmaricic Send a message via Yahoo to dmaricic
Default Re: Nathan & Dominic: Does HON reveal or sell our client's information to alarm sales

Yup, I understand. Hopefully your mind is at ease now. Remember, this is a lot more than a newsletter, this is a giant free tech support for home owners service. The newsletter, articles on home maintenance, house warming party invites, etc, etc are all part of this HUGE system. There's a lot more to come too.

2008 InterNACHI Member and Innovator of the Year
HOME INSPECTOR PRO HOME INSPECTION SOFTWARE

InterNACHI Members SAVE $150

Easy to use, customizable Home Inspector Software that runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad!

You can now import HomeGauge, 3D, PalmTech & InspectVue Narratives.

InterNACHI members receive 3 months of FREE home inspector website hosting

Insert Video, Interactive Glossary and Sketches Into your Report!!

Old 3/19/13, 2:39 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Yup, I understand. Hopefully your mind is at ease now. Remember, this is a lot more than a newsletter, this is a giant free tech support for home owners service. The newsletter, articles on home maintenance, house warming party invites, etc, etc are all part of this HUGE system. There's a lot more to come too.
I agree, it is a very enticing offer. Too bad it isn't available from a company I know and trust such as HIP.
Old 3/19/13, 2:40 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Risk management. We are already in talks with insurance companies to give breaks on premiums to members who use COA Support and HON.
This sounds vaugely familiar....

I smell a rat...
Old 3/19/13, 2:42 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Send a message via ICQ to jkeilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
It started out as a free newsletter for inspectors to give to their clients. Awesome. Not an original product, but I like it.

But now we discover that all the largest (not just one) reporting software companies in our industry are integrating our client's data to a for-profit company that uses our clients' data to sell pay-per-click ads to repair contractors within that newsletter. It's not over the line, but it is right on the edge IMHO.
I agree Nick, I would rather NACHI get our newsletter done and generate advertising money the same way BUT the twist is, NAVHI takes a portion of the profits and does something all the contributing members get a piece of. Things like a dividend check? or a donation to charities...there are a zillion things we could do with the money generated rather than let a bunch of vendors get rich off of our clients data ?

Jim

"We Respect Our Clients Right To Privacy"

Jim Keilson Certified Master Inspector

MarylandHomeInspectionServices.com

www.MarylandRadonTesting.org

Specializing in All Air Quality
Mold and Radon Gas Testing

State of Maryland License# 31141
Virginia License#3380 000468
InterNACHI ID: NACHI10101807
(IAC2). Certification # IAC2-02-0919
Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Old 3/19/13, 2:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dmaricic Send a message via AIM to dmaricic Send a message via MSN to dmaricic Send a message via Yahoo to dmaricic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeilson View Post
I agree Nick, I would rather NACHI get our newsletter done and generate advertising money the same way BUT the twist is, NAVHI takes a portion of the profits and does something all the contributing members get a piece of. Things like a dividend check? or a donation to charities...there are a zillion things we could do with the money generated rather than let a bunch of vendors get rich off of our clients data ?

Jim
Hmm, you're giving away a $199 membership to everyone one of your clients. You don't think that's going to have a HUGE impact on your business? Talk to Michelle Shishilla are one of the 1000 inspectors that started using it this month to see what kind of an impact it's already having for them.

Easy to use, customizable Home Inspector Software that runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad!

Old 3/19/13, 3:02 PM

Dom,

There are no free lunches.

But a question for the masses, and perhaps Dom or even Kevin O'Malley can answer this one DIRECTLY on this thread...

Why would one of your partners, who sold a multi-million dollar company to a multi-billion dollar company, be interested in providing a free newsletter to clients of home inspectors?
Old 3/19/13, 3:22 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jkeilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthornberry View Post
Get rich? Only around 10% of my revenue comes from the Inspection Industry...the other 90% from Warranty Sales through the real estate agents. I don't think anyone is "getting rich" off inspectors...there's great vendors that do really well and deserve it, but don't get into a very small mindset of "I don't want anybody else to make money..."

Sometimes for-profits can do things very efficiently and better than you could do on your own. I could build an email marketing program like iContact, but it wouldn't be as good and I'd invest a lot more than their fees. When you look at the "take" off an individual inspection company even from a gross perspective, you'd establish that there's enormous value delivered to inspectors on a dollar per dollar basis from all sorts of vendors in the industry and from InterNACHI and all of their associated ventures as well.

Do yourselves a favor and go to a conference. Go to the vendor hall where vendors paid $1000 for a booth plus the expenses of materials and getting there. See how serious they are about your business...there won't be many that disappoint you.

Skip my booth if you want to- though you won't likely run into me so feel free to grill Tim, Mike, Bill, or Cory with all of your questions. That's what we're there for!

I am not going to get into a secret past part of my life here, but rest assured I have been involved in the marketing,seminars, booths etc... scene as longer or longer than you. Per click marketting?..LOL, if you only new. Been there done that. Sold my 50% ownership off one of the largest web hosting companies in the world a few years back. Used to hang out, wine and dine with of the most powerful people in the adult entertainment world. I could tell you stories and show you pictures...hahaha ahh what a great period in my past life.

"We Respect Our Clients Right To Privacy"

Jim Keilson Certified Master Inspector

MarylandHomeInspectionServices.com

www.MarylandRadonTesting.org

Specializing in All Air Quality
Mold and Radon Gas Testing

State of Maryland License# 31141
Virginia License#3380 000468
InterNACHI ID: NACHI10101807
(IAC2). Certification # IAC2-02-0919
Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Old 3/19/13, 3:25 PM
Active Poster

I feel I've received straight answers. It was like pulling teeth at first though, and I'm not a dentist.

Basically, you give me something that you claim is worth $199 for me to give to my clients, but the only way my clients can access this thing is if I "push" my client's data to a for-profit company that uses my client's data to sell pay-per-click ads to repair contractors and alarm system salesmen. I get it now. I'm done here.
Old 3/19/13, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarsetta View Post
Dom,

There are no free lunches.

But a question for the masses, and perhaps Dom or even Kevin O'Malley can answer this one DIRECTLY on this thread...

Why would one of your partners, who sold a multi-million dollar company to a multi-billion dollar company, be interested in providing a free newsletter to clients of home inspectors?
Of course we're not working for free!!

Because companies like Lowes will pay us to be able to get that 10% off coupon in front of your clients.

So lets look at this clearly.

1. Companies like Lowes pays HON to show special deals to your clients. In return Lowes gets more clients.

2. HON gives inspectors the ability the give away a $199 membership which helps them secure more inspections over the cheaper inspector.

3. Home buyers get huge discounts on places like Lowes.

Does that make sense? As far as I see it, everyone wins.

Old 3/19/13, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
I feel I've received straight answers. It was like pulling teeth at first though, and I'm not a dentist.

Basically, you give me something that you claim is worth $199 for me to give to my clients, but the only way my clients can access this thing is if I "push" my client's data to a for-profit company that uses my client's data to sell pay-per-click ads to repair contractors and alarm system salesmen. I get it now. I'm done here.
Correct, thanks Nick!

Old 3/19/13, 3:35 PM
Community Guest

yes sounds good Dom, keep up the good work , going over to that link for a better look
Old 3/19/13, 3:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bboerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeilson View Post
I am not going to get into a secret past part of my life here, but rest assured I have been involved in the marketing,seminars, booths etc... scene as longer or longer than you. Per click marketting?..LOL, if you only new. Been there done that. Sold my 50% ownership off one of the largest web hosting companies in the world a few years back. Used to hang out, wine and dine with of the most powerful people in the adult entertainment world. I could tell you stories and show you pictures...hahaha ahh what a great period in my past life.
And you became a home inspector why?

STL Home Inspection Services
Residential / Radon / Sewer / Thermal /
Termite / Gas / Mold / Level 2 Chimney

Bill Boerner
Multi Inspector Firm
(314) 805-2137
office@stlhomeinspector.com
Stlhomeinspector.com
Serving: St. Louis and Surrounding
Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/19/13, 3:37 PM

Dom (not Nathan),

Thanks for the answer. But I am having a hard time recognizing a relatively small ROI for any investor which could be increased and accellerated exponentially simply by making the data available to others for a fee.

You do realize that the FTC is quite agressive in covert data gathering and marketiing based on it.

Having worked with angel investors, I am quite familiar with two critical components of investment: 1) ROI and 2) Exit Strategy.

Thusly, the cause for concern on these four (4) fronts...
Old 3/19/13, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarsetta View Post
Dom (not Nathan),

Thanks for the answer. But I am having a hard time recognizing a relatively small ROI for any investor which could be increased and accellerated exponentially simply by making the data available to others for a fee.

You do realize that the FTC is quite agressive in covert data gathering and marketiing based on it.

Having worked with angel investors, I am quite familiar with two critical components of investment: 1) ROI and 2) Exit Strategy.

Thusly, the cause for concern on these four (4) fronts...
Sure, I can help you here. There's a huge possible ROI here for companies. Right now companies like Lowes send out a coupon in the mail to new home buyers 30 days after escrow closes as the information is made public at that point. By giving us the deal to pass on to our members (your clients) they are able to show the discount to buyers 60 days before that point. So basically they now have 2 full months for a client to see their discount before their competition (Home Depot, ACE, etc) get a chance to contact them. The average home buyer spends around $5000 the first year at big box stores. So this is big for them.

On top of this we're creating a big directory that members can go onto to look through all the deals they get. Just like InterNACHI uses their weight to throw around and secure deals for members, we're doing the same thing. Then we use this money to pay the inspectors answering the questions made via the app and of course make profit ourselves.

Closed Thread