New, free Time Slot Estimator for use when scheduling inspections.

Some inspections go quickly. Others take many hours to perform. Occupied homes take more time than vacant homes. You need more time if your client is accompanying you on the inspection. Older homes take longer. Larger homes take longer. Each ancillary inspection takes additional time to perform. Travel time has to be factored in. InterNACHI’s free, online Time Slot Estimator can help you (or whoever answers your phone) to schedule your inspections at the right times with enough (but not too much) time in between.

Here’s how to use InterNACHI’s Time Slot Estimator:

First, set up the light gray “Your Standard Times” box by entering the additional minutes each field requires. You might have to adjust these over time to get them right.

Then, when each new inspection appointment comes in, fill out the white “Today’s Inspection” box and hit the “Calculate Time>>” button at the bottom.

The Time Slot Estimator will then tell you how much time you need to schedule for that inspection.

Over time, you can adjust the gray “Your Standard Times” box depending on whether you need more or less time to complete the inspection.

http://www.nachi.org/time-slot.htm

I could throw that out the window.
Did a 1896 4 flat in 3 hours and just walking in from a 3 hour 2007 townhouse near home.

Actually it seems the larger rental buildings usually go faster.
Tomorrow a ranch home small ]in the morning and another 4 flat in the afternoon by coincidence also 1896 and I bet the tiny ranch takes longer.

If you disagree with it, you don’t understand it. You can’t disagree with it… because you set it up (gray box) to be you. It’s you.

That’s the nice thing about the estimator. You set it up to work the way you want it to. If you think larger is faster (sounds wack to me, but hey), then don’t add additional minutes for square footage. It’s about averages. On average, most inspectors would say it takes longer to do an inspection (including travel) if:

• The house is larger. If you don’t think so, don’t put anything in the gray box for that.
  • The house is farther away. This is pretty much a law of physics. You might need more minutes/mile in L.A. than in Wyoming.
  • If the home is occupied. More stuff in the way.
  • If your client is attending the inspection. More explaining to do.
  • If the house is older.
  • If additional ancillary inspections have been ordered. Mold probably takes more time than radon, etc.

But you can setup the calculator (gray box) to think anyway you want it to. It can think just like you think… and therefore it will estimate the required time slot just as you would estimate it. It’s a particularly useful tool if someone other than you is making your schedule.

I would agree if someone else is making the schedule.

Chicago has more variables than any other location because we have more varied architecture,population,neighborhoods ,building techniques,remodels,and clients than any other place than no outsider could comprehend.

No cookie cutters here.

Not bad…time seemed off until I remembered it included travel time and it does not represent time to inspect but time to schedule.

everywhere has variables…I have homes from the 1600’s and brand new modern homes, skyscraper condos, 700sf bungalows, 5000 sf new construction, ocean front, and in the woods etc…its a good idea, not certain if I’ll play with it soon, but perhaps.

Many inspectors book 9AM and 1PM. This tool, once you set it up, will at very least help you recognize when you should book 9AM and 2PM or… 9AM and noon based on a variety of factors, size, age, occupied or not, client accompanying or not, additional ancillary inspections, and distance.

It’s particularly useful if you have office staff creating your schedule.

I’ll definitely give this a try.

Scheduling use to be simple when I’d only do two a day. Now that we are shooting for 3 or 4, we are realizing how complicated it can be to schedule these.

Hey Nick, This is a great tool, Keep up the great work. With out your commitment to the inspection world things would certainly be more difficult for me. Wether its this tool or the online agreement toll. As a new inspector InterNACHI has been crucial to my success.

I am a newby. Is this time to include creating the report, or only the inspection? Do most inspectors do the report onsite, or later at home/office?

I am thinking about bringing my laptop to do the report in my vehicle until I get more comfortable with the process. Then if I miss anything, I am still there in case I need to recheck or take a photo to get a thorough inspection completed. I realize that I may need to only do one inspection a day at first in case it takes longer than I expect.

The issue with time are the unknowns.

Will the client ask a million questions or not?

Are things installed in a straight forward manner (like 1 panel at exterior) or is it going to get complicated (multiple sub panels)?

I budget time based on my avg, then add a buffer just in case.

Yes, but this estimator gives you even more variables that really matter. For example, if you know the buyer isn’t coming to the inspection, you don’t have to worry about extra time to answer a million questions.

If you know the house is occupied, you have to add a little time for personal items being in the way.

If it’s very old, or very large, or very far away, you have to give yourself more time.

Once you set this up, it will do all that for you or whomever is booking your schedule.

I agree with Bob on that can you add stuff on the fly like if the person talks slow in another language you may want to add in almost as much 30 minutes depending on the vibe you get on the phone. Or whatever. I have not checked it out yet but it would also seem useful if you are adding ancillary services.

As of not I do not feel anyone could get as close to me even with this tool but I am the guy doing it I should be able to guess best.

Nick,

Thanks for another great way to maximize our time:)

Nice should be very helpful.