What new inspection books would you like to see?

We currently publish these inspection books but are hiring researchers to develop more.

Any suggestions?

The last time I asked this someone suggested Pool & Spa Inspection, which ended up being one of our most popular books.

We have a commercial roofing one coming out along with a companion DVD.

How about Foreclosure and short sale inspections with how they effect us and our jobs.
Tips on what to expect and what to tell clients/agents.

Also include FHA/HUD discussion.

Should we adjust marketing ? Should we go back after utilities are turned back on? Do banks have obligations to get the utilities on?
What advice do you give clients on these properties? Is anything different?
That type of thing.:slight_smile:

Modern times /mean modern issues.

How about a book that explains to customers that inspectors do not have x-ray vision, crystal balls, complete and expert knowledge on every system in every building? It should come with crayons, and maybe a few coloring exercises so I can be left alone during the inspection.

Inspecting sealed envelopes/attics with Spray Foam Insulation. It’s becoming rather popular here so would come in handy.

Inspecting Log Cabins/Structures

First half of your request: Grow Your Business with Custom Home Maintenance Books - InterNACHI®
Second half of your request: Free Coloring & Activity Book to give to children who attend the inspection. - InterNACHI®

I second Jeffery’s request for log cabin/house inspections

OK, we’ll work on it.

We do have a free, online Log Home Inspection course.](Log Home Inspection Course - InterNACHI®)

Yes, you (we) do, but I like the books as a quick reference resource. :smiley:

And with that in mind…

Potable water testing (private and public water sources),
Septic systems,
Scoping Lateral Sewer Lines,
**EMF **surveys/testing, (yes, I am very serious, I’ve had medical Dr’s call me for testing patients homes, and cannot find any significant info of use to a home inspector)!

Write Joe Farsetta for his very comprehensive CD on log home inspections.

I appreciate your reply James, but this is about books. Perhaps Joe could convert his cd to a book, or turn it over to Nick to convert.

When I interview my potential clients about the home to be inspected, I am mining for any unusual tidbits about the home. If the home has a feature I am not well versed on, I bring along any reference material I may need during the inspection. Basically a “field guide” of sorts. I no longer use my laptop in the field, so a cd is useless to me in the field. And lets face it, I can usually find the info in a book a heck of a lot faster than many training cd’s I’ve seen.

manufactured homes

But if you had a good smart phone you could get the info even faster.

Tell you what Bob. When you keep and use the same phone for more than 6 months, I’ll consider upgrading! :stuck_out_tongue:

Until then, you are my guinea pig. You can spend all the $$$ doing the testing for me. Let me know when you find one you’re happy with. :mrgreen:

Besides, how would I get the info faster when I can hardly find any info at all on some issues… ie… EMF?

And on the subject of EMF, determining which meter is appropriate, is similar to choosing an IR camera. See this page for a taste of some info that would help… Meter FAQs – Less EMF

I keep my phones for a year and like upgrading as the difference in upgrades is amazing in a short time and
saying we will do it the next day usually means never doing it.

You can get answers on most any subject in the field if you need it with a phone while a laptop or tablet is a pain to drag around.All about speed and convenience.

EMF…http://www.lipower.org/residential/safety/emf.html

How about a marketing book.

Chapter 1 seo
Chapter 2 MIC
Chapter 3 Sales

Kinda like guerilla marketing for home inspectors…

We have a ton of info and it’s not organized and I like a paper reference I can look at. I can honestly say every time I search for a code I learn about 5 additional things…

a true, slow paced, hands on type, electrical service and panel inspection. start at the mast head and go thru the subpanel. show what is right and not just what could be wrong. actually, a dvd would be a great companion. I appreciate the training which is already available but this could be explored more.

“Message Board Ettiquett”

Could include info such as: When you post a question about something you have never seen, or “what is this”, pictures are generally very helpful!

Or: Use the “search” feature ‘first’ for all the basic, everyday type questions, such as: “what is a TPRV”, as we’ve already answered those questions a thousand times already.

And: When you first sign-up to use the MB, enter your location. I would love nothing more than to help you with questions about the cooling on your home, but, I am in Minnesota, and I haven’t seen a “swamp cooler” since I left So. California in the 80’s. (Note: this should be a required field upon sign-up anyway).

Geodesic Domes - I have inspected several - Structure basically is the concern, everything else is inspected as a regular home electrical, plumbing, HVAC Etc.