Opinions wanted - Friends New Build

Hey guys and gals, A friend asked me to come over to his new home he will be closing on to take a look around - nothing formal, thoughts on this? :shock:

Advise him to hire the very best inspector he can find , an inspector that is familiar with the latest code cycle (there are many significant revisions in the latest code). It will be the best money he spends during the home buying process. You may be able to gain a walk along opportunity for insight into this,… and I am quite sure… dozens if not scores or hundreds of other issues.

A view from farther out would help in understanding the full significance. However flashings are incomplete in this small view you have provided.

Mostly typical in Texas new home construction!

Certainly needs flashings there. Any wind driven rain will enter the attic space.

I agree if you as his friend miss something they might be disappointed with you for ever…

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilley https://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
Hey guys and gals, A friend asked me to come over to his new home he will be closing on to take a look around - nothing formal, thoughts on this? :shock:

not just absent flashing
also
absent underlayment
incomplete shingle(s)
& possible unpainted trims at the mitered ends (mirror possibly required)

Looks like a nice place for rodents to get in.

If they are going to install aluminum and/or vinyl soffit and fascia it will hide it if done properly.

Every time I inspect a new construction home, I find a whole lost if issues.

Same thing in Florida… probably nationwide with the shortage of skilled tradesmen and scourge of big builders cutting every corner they can.

I don’t do informal inspections.

Hi Brandon, there is new construction going up everywhere in our area. Some are 2 months from dirt to move in. Whats worse is they are sold before they even start. With the workforce spread thin & the fast construction, the standards have certainly dropped. The 4 most common issues I am finding lately:

Construction debris or rolled up cardboard meant to prevent debris left in the shower drains. (Many of these drains are in upstairs shower stalls. Check these before turning on the water.)

No starter strip of any kind on the shingles. (Easy to find as the leading edge just flaps exposing the underlayment.)

Drip edge flashing installed over underlayment. (Make it a habit to take a peak every time you go up the ladder to check the roof.)

Gutters installed on top of drip edge instead of underneath it. (Same as above)

While there most certainly are more significant issues found at each new home, for some reason, these 4 issues keep coming up at the majority of homes. All builders.

I really appreciate everyones feedback, thank you guys !!!