Party's Over Time for some to go ?

Just read Sunday’s real estate section in a Chicago newspaper; in particular a column by Mary Umberger. According to the article The Minnesota Association of Realtors has suggested its time for many of its members to go. The logic being, times are tougher, business are getting leaner and the wannabes could be ruining it for the rest of us. " Its time for a career adjustment for many of them"

With the cooling market there are far to many agents chasing to few leads. With fewer then 50% of the 24,000 agents having 2 or less transactions a year according to the article. Suggestions to reduce the number involved tougher testing standards, more education, the requirement of an apprenticeship program until an agent has a certain amount of experience. The new standards would only apply to new agents but is considered a good start.

The same can be said about the inspection business but I’m curious how you feel about this if applied to the HI business.

Darwin’s theory applies to realtors, title company account executives, loan salesmen, appraisers, and home inspectors. The strong will survive and the weak will disappear.

Here in Northern California, I see less and less new home inspectors even though we have both a ITA and AHIT schools in the area. The marketplace can only support so many inspectors. In the last 2 or 3 months, I know of at least two home inspectors who have quit after spending 2+ years trying to make a go of it. The established home inspectors are also seeing fewer inspections too.

This all makes for an interesting situation at the weekly realtors meetings. Before, there would be 1 or 2 home inspectors doing their marketing. Now, I see 4 or 5. Everyone is looking for work.

If things don’t get better in 2007, I’ll probably have to think hard about staying in this business.