Pass Fail Ratio for NHIE

I’m curious what the pass fail percentage is for the NHIE? I just took it today in Illinois and failed. Back to the drawing board had a 113 out of a 140 Raw Score.

Based on the posts here of those that have taken it in the last year, it would seem that 0 (yes, zero) out off 100 pass it the first time. Increduously, that number also seems to apply for second time testers! #-o

Scott, I’m just curious as to what your experience is? How many years in construction, home building, inspecting etc…

The NHIE is a scam. Forwarding to Mark Cohen who is preparing to take legal action against them.

A friend of mine took it here in MD this year and scored over 700 out 800 on the first try.

1 Like

Thomas Witt I’ve been in commercial construction for about 20 years… residential remodeling door installs, drywall, painting, plumbing water heater installs etc. for years. I have been thru a lot of practice questions on here and have done well. I wonder if the NHIE study guide is something I should purchase?..my field training / inspector thought I’d make a good inspector…(shrug). I’m an older guy with alot of residential hands on experience. I wonder too if states control the numbers of inspectors via the NHIE depending on if needed or not? …my guess is probably

UGH!

Take that comment I made and place it into perspective. My guesstimation is that as little as 5 years ago, that number would have been 50% pass first time, 75% second time. So, why the difference? You tell me. :blank:

Nick,

I emailed you about not being able to find my official transcript this morning for the NHIE. They let me take it anyway and never checked my paperwork. The test had swimming pool and lawn sprinkler question i didn’t study for.

Yep, it’s a scam. Sprinkler systems and swimming pools aren’t included in any association’s or state’s home inspection SOP.

Controlling the numbers and not to mention Illinois is broke and can’t pay it’s bills.

IMO, the quality of the testers is continually declining. More and more persons without a construction background are being sold a bill of goods with promises of easy money. They have little knowledge of what they don’t know, so they fail easily. Even those with some knowledge are ill prepared. InterNachi is also not preparing those to take the exam as they are fixated on “SOP”. The reality is, pools and sprinklers are a fact of homeownership in many areas. You better know them, as you don’t know what the next home you inspect will be equipped with, and the clients will expect you to be capable of inspecting them!

Nick I read somewhere else on here you were moving forward on a lawsuit has it been filed yet?

The courses are many, online, approved, robust, and free: www.nachi.org/education.htm We can’t force inspectors to take them.

This is true!.. Ive been all over this site and studied hard. Will have to study harder and go on more ride alongs I guess.

My guess is, based on comments on this MB over the last two years, is many new inspectors are going “through the back door” using InterNACHI as a much cheaper way to get there license and Nachi courses aren’t geared towards passing the NHIE, at least in Illinois.

By cheaper I mean is all they have to do is join InterNACHI and take the free online courses, no live classroom hours, etc. There use to be a minimum 10 hour live classroom requirement in Illinois. Now they can bypass that by shadowing a licensed inspector at five inspections.

I have nothing against Nachi’s courses, though I took my 60 hour pre-licensing courses from a different approved educator and had no problem passing the NHIE. Then I joined Nachi and the courses were presented in a much different way.

1 Like

Yep. Our courses teach you how to inspect, not how to pass the bogus NHIE.

I agree. It’s been a known fact that the majority of pre-licensing education provider’s courses are designed to help you pass the NHIE, not to prepare you to actually inspect a home. After I got my state license I joined Nachi and took several courses and visited this MB for quite a while before I started inspecting homes. Even though I had twenty plus years experience in the building and remodeling trade.

Yep. I now see it clearly. We have inspectors who just graduated some other home inspection school who then visit the House of Horrors… and they freeze. They don’t know what to do.

Scott,

Don’t know if any other licensed State keeps statistics but Texas uses the NHIE (with regional modifications/additions) and has for at least the last year or so. If you go to the TREC WEB site on this page they have the monthly staff reports http://www.trec.texas.gov/newsandpublic/publications/StaffReports.asp . On the report are monthly Pass/Fail rates for the Texas examination. Can’t say that these rates are indicative of the NHIE because if you go back before use of the NHIE the Pass/Fail rates really have not changed that much at all.

Another thing to note with regards to the Texas Pass/Fail rate is that Texas does have extensive training requirements. A few years ago Texas also reduced the passing score from an already low of 75% to a lower 70% and the Pass/Fail rate really was not affected that much by it.

All of this combined makes it appear that possibly it is not entirely the NHIE that is causing the failure rate issue? Some are good at taking tests and have no real clue about the information they are being tested on. Some people are not very good test takers and know a heck of a lot about what they are being tested on but run into issues with poorly worded questions whether they were done purposely that way or not.