Pool Bonding

I just completed the Pool and Spa inspection course provided by InterNACHI. My question is…Is it easy to determine if an in-ground pool is properly bonded? If so what would be the technique to determine that? The course seemed a little vague on that point to me. THANK YOU!

Tim Buckley

The bonding wire, connecting all of the equipment (related to circulation, heating and chlorination, etc.) will be visible, and should disappear into the concrete deck. Usually it will follow one of the supply/return lines into the deck.

Thank you!! I saw the green wire connected to all components around a friends pool recently. Wasn’t sure if that was the bonding wire or not.

From the field, I can state that the bonding wire should be visible. It’s often obscured, and you may or may not see the bond connection.

Dom.

If there is a metal door within “X” amount of distance should it not also be bonded ?

If the bonding conductor is not visible, it probably doesn’t exist. All of the connection points on the equipment are accessible. You should also check each connection point to ensure the connections are tight.

Any fixed metal components within 5 feet of the pools edge - door frames, window frames, fences, gates, etc.

5 foot! That always eluded me.
Jeff You are the man !
You are a great contributor to this MB and I alway learn from you.
So ! when you do a pool inspection what is your flow in doing one.
How do you do it in other words.
I haven’t had many of these and want to learn.
Keep is simple …KISS

My inspection begins with a full visual check of the pool and all of its components while all equipment is off. If it’s running when I arrive, I turn it all off before I begin.

After this initial inspection, I turn on every mechanical and electrical component that the system has. I always tug on bonding connections and LFMC connections as these are the most common areas of defects that I find. I toggle all equipment on and off several times during the inspection, checking for leaks and proper function.

There’s much more that goes into a pool-systems inspection, but I guess that’s what you would call my “flow.”