Proposed Change to NACHI COE

Times have changed…as have the needs of home inspectors who belong to national associations.

In keeping with these changes, it has been proposed to the Ethics Committee that a dramatic addition be made to our code of ethics. As would any major change such as this, there will be controversy and a barrage of heated opinions exchanged on all sides. That is anticipated and, honestly, that is the thought that prevails behind this post.

ASHI is an association on the decline…and is fighting to survive. Much of what it is doing is at the expense of other associations. The drive for ASHI leaders to empower themselves in their respective states through legislative efforts is one example.

The constant barrage of negative attacks made publicly against home inspectors who choose not to belong to their association…the intentional misleading of the public that only ASHI members are qualified home inspectors…along with recent changes they have been forced to make to lower their standards to fight off declining numbers ------ makes it ethically impossible for NACHI to engage itself with this unethical, misleading and dying association.

Accordingly, the Ethics Committee was asked by senior NACHI people to consider the following addition to NACHI’s code of ethics:

“NACHI members will not provide any financial support (by membership or participation in sponsored events) of any society, association, or other organization that does not publicly acknowledge the validity of NACHI certification, continuing education credits, or other publicly accepted and affirmed qualities and aspects of NACHI membership.”

Thoughts?

That sounds like more of a membership requirement than an ethical code.

The ethical code IS a membership requirement, Blaine.

Please clarify. Does this mean the individual has to acknowledge the validity…etc. or the other Association they belong to has to acknowledge the validity…etc. ?

It means that a NACHI member cannot belong to another home inspection “society” (for example) that refuses to accept NACHI CEUs.

It also means that, under ASHI’s present leadership and policies, it would be unethical for a NACHI members to pay dues to ASHI.

This would force many here to choose between the two associations.

Depending on their market area, that could become a difficult and expensive choice.

This proposal would only heat up the “association wars” and sully everyone IMHO.

So is taking the exam each year, but it isn’t in the COE.

This pretty much covers any rule NACHI sees fit.

“The InterNACHI member shall abide by InterNACHI’s current membership requirements.”

We did a survey of members who have both association logos on their websites (duel memberships) to find out if we lack in any area relative to other trade associations. We wanted to know if there was some hidden www.nachi.org/benefits.htm we didn’t know about. By freak chance (we really didn’t know what we’d do with the data) we asked that if forced to choose between associations (in other words, if forced to remain a member in only one or the other), which association would you choose? Nearly all answered similarly… and it wasn’t good news for ASHI should such a change to our COE be adopted.

What is our current percentage of dual membership with ashi?

Nick’s survey showed that the big loser, resulting from such a choice, would be ASHI…who, presently, can hardly afford to lose anyone.

But then…with a few minor adjustments on their end…they can quickly become compatible so as no one would be forced to give up their dual membership. All they would have to do…as difficult as it would be for such a lowlife group of leaders they presently employ…is to do the right thing.

Ridiculous. Let the inspectors make their own decision in this matter. If I want a “chip” on my shoulder, I’ll place it there myself.

[quote=gromicko]
We did a survey of members who have both association logos on their websites (duel memberships) to find out if we lack in any area relative to other trade associations. We wanted to know if there was some hidden www.nachi.org/benefits.htm we didn’t know about. By freak chance (we really didn’t know what we’d do with the data) we asked that if forced to choose between associations (in other words, if forced to remain a member in only one or the other), which association would you choose? Nearly all answered similarly… **and it wasn’t good news for ASHI should such a change to our COE be adopted./**quote]

Quote:
"NACHI members will not provide any financial support (by membership or participation in sponsored events) of any society, association, or other organization that does not publicly acknowledge the validity of NACHI certification, continuing education credits, or other publicly accepted and affirmed qualities and aspects of NACHI membership."
End Quote:

Since this question has been asked on a Public forum as a member of the NACHI COE I say that we adopt / implement this new rule RIGHT NOW.

I wonder what the advantage would be to NACHI to if this was to be implemented . Example 100 had to choose 80 choose NACHI 20 choose another association.
We would loose 20 members dues and the other association.
would loose 80 members dues.
I expect the other association could tighten their belt ,could raise their dues, and more then carry on as they are doing.
With the way NACHI is at this time they could still use our BB and continue to get much information.
I do feel enforcement of duel logos on their web site should be enforced but have not made up my mind on the rest.
More dialog from all members would be appreciated.
Incidentally we have exactly the same thing happening in Canada with OAHI/CAHPI no co-operation at all and NACHI continues to allow the CAHPI directors to post their dribble on the NACHI BB.
They all are a one trick pony Take all and give nothing.

…Cookie

This is, in no way, an “ethical dilemma.” This is a “power struggle.” We’re better than this.

Over the last 5-days in New Hampshire ASHI has sent out a constant barrage of disparaging E-mails addressed to “All New England Inspectors.”

I just received an E-Mail from a NACHI member in the State of Maine who tells me that the ASHI E-Mails are ugly and that they only serve to discredit the Home Inspection Industry.

I need to remind him that NACHI did not send out the E-Mails … ASHI did!

Just this month ASHI sent out an ugly disparaging E-Mail to ALL of our New Hampshire Senators!
This is just one in a long line of nasty E-mails and letters trying to discredit NACHI as a professional association.

It seems that they have never heard …“Can’t we all just get along”…

ASHI members and “others” have had access to our Technical sections and have been getting an Educational “Free Ride” since day one!

• They sling sh~t all over us ON OUR OWN BB!

**It is time to put a stop to this! **

Well said. This appears to be an attempt to push ashi into accepting our ceu’s, or just drive up hits on the website. Either way its ridiculous. Who were the senior members who suggested such. In case we need clarification from them?

I agree too. Although not an ASHI member myself, I think this is a ridiculous requirement to add. NACHI is bigger than this. This seems like a petty way to “stick it” to the competition. In stead of “sticking it” to them, I think NACHI should compete above board, and let the chips fall where they may. Let the members to decide who they are going to support or not support. This is not an Ethical issue but one of competition.

Is it me or does this seem to be more of an issue on the East Coast? I haven’t seen anything like this in Washington.

This is something that needs to be left to the individual business. Just like E&O or Mold Certification or Infrared Technology or different marketing techniques. As a nationwide organization, we cannot let regional fights and differences set system-wide policy.

Do you really care if ASHI accepts our organization or not? I made my choice. It was NACHI. I don’t care what ASHI or members of ASHI think. It would be a shame to force our members to choose especially if it could potentially affect their business in a negative way.

Diversity is what makes this country great. Take away our choices and you have taken away democracy. I never understood this whole thing with ASHI. Hatred breeds hatred. It is time to co-exist.

Do any other assocations accept NACHI CE?