Question for Joe Burkeson... we're stumped over at MICB. Help.

Joe B…

We are trying to add an “experience” requirement to the existing requirements (mostly educational) to earn the CMI designation but after scratching our heads for weeks… can’t figure out how to do it so that it is meaningful and verifiable.

So, since you are the one most arguing for it… you tell us. How dow we do it?

It is easy for us to verify one’s continuing education, it is easy for us to do a background check, … but how do we verify one’s experience?

Gerry and I want to add it to the requirements but can’t figure out how.

Help please.

Well I wasn’t asked but I am going to put my two cents in anyway.

Why not have a list of acceptable requirements and have a possible CMI have to meet a certain number of them?

The following is just an example.

150 hours of CE (not any type of education or education needed to obtain the BASIC knowledge needed to become a home inspector)

Passed the NHIE or ICC tests (add a NACHI test once we have a proctored one or any other test that would qualify)

Number of years in the business.

Performed a certain number of inspections.

Mentored a certain number of new inspectors.

Certification for Radon.

Holders of a state license related to construction.

Have an applicant meet 3/4’s of the acceptable requirements.
So if there are ten possible requirements an applicant must posses 7 of them to qualify.

Just a thought.

Here is a message I received, POSTED WITH AUTHOR’s PERMISSION:

----- Original Message -----
To: ‘nick gromicko’ ; ‘Nick Gromicko’
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:28 AM
Subject: Master Inspector feed back

Hey Nick this is my opinion on the Master Inspector qualifications- Can you reply back to me.

*I’ve been a home inspector for 9 years and I’ve performed over 4,500 home inspections and several hundred of various types of inspections. There is no way that I have 150 hours or more of continuous education. I feel that infield education and experience counts a whole lot on being a master inspector. Schooling education is good but unless you get / know the whole business and understand it you can not be a master inspector. This stems to the inspection, marketing contracts and performance. Report writing and personal attention in my opinion is a very important part of the inspection process. So how can I become a Master Inspector ? I feel that I know more about home inspections in general and overall business than a lot of inspectors with more education but not very much in field experience. How can I get a Master inspector certification ? *

Ron LaMar

Under the MICB’s current requirements, Ron (above) does not qualify.

Seems goofy.

Greg, so back to http://www.nachi.org/cmiformula.htm ?

Blaine, John and I came up with one one time:

A total of 1,000 (CE hours + fee-paid inspections) with a minimum of 100 in each category, plus our high COE and a background check.

Greg, would you support this simple formula?

Now your talking Nick!..and making sense.

Yes Nick to a certain degree. I think that is fair to the inspector and the general public. I just feel that the list of qualifications needs to be refined.

Yes sir I would support that formula.

I just feel that there should be other avenues besides just CE and number of inspections. As an example

The individual I pointed out as new to the profession and was given the title of master. After speaking with him on the phone I found out that before starting his business he was a code inspector for 10 years. Past experience that is related to inspections should figure into the formula.

Please don’t take my naysayer attitude as being against the program. I am not against the program, I just feel that the requirements should be in line with the title.

Personally I don’t think code inspector should count for much in this business. Maybe count 10 years code enforcement as 1 or 2 years equivalent inspecting due to the huge differences in the jobs. Anyone who does not know what I am talking about should get out of the business.
We do not inspect just new homes! And hopefully no one is reporting only code based issues.

Hey Bruce,

A code inspector is just one of many avenues that could be considered. My point is that anyone who has worked or inspected new construction is going to know how the process is done for constructing a home. That is why I suggested that there be several avenues to choose from. I agree that code inspector alone is not a qualification for the title of master.

Hello Greg,

If Nick agrees to some of your ideas will you contniue the ICC course at the chapter meeting.

Many have great ideas and some are nay sayers .
There could;d be a open only to those who register and are willing to get in a discussion and throw around ideas and thoughts on how to improve the CMI.
I think many great ideas could come out of this but it could be to clumsy if it is held on a open forum where any one can get in and confuse the issue
Just my thoughts it could be open to a certain amount who register
Thoughts ??? how many 20± or is that too many or too few ???.
Roy sr

Hey Carl,

Either way I will continue the ICC course. I just need to find another room to use. I spent over 500 out of my own pocket using the room we had.

There are so many variables in this business and determining which inspectors deserve a “master” label could include an involved formula similar to the ones suggested but will never be 100%. Many experienced realtors typically do not hire the highly experienced inspectors for their own properties due to their experience with complacency (missed items)within the ones who have been in business over 10-15 years.

This is truly a largely unregulated business since even the states that require licensing do not typically perform sting operations to determine what items an inspector misses.

I researched NC and found that they do investigate very closely any complaints made on an inspector. This has resulted in some very well respected inspectors getting their reports analyzed and the property re-inspected by a state appointed inspector. Almost every case, the inspector was found to have not reported a required item. So, to make a long story short, only the individual inspector can determine if he is a “master” through self monitoring and dedication to the job and the client.

Do not think that your lack of complaints means that you are not missing items, I interviewed many people before getting into this business and found that almost every one of them had a complaint about their inspector. And guess what, not a single one of them notified the inspector of the problem.

Hi Roy,

I bet the people at OAHI and CAPHI consider you a nay sayer. The bottom line is that we are all fighting for what we feel is right.

Now, that certainly sounds reasonable.

Yes, I understand it is not as easy to verify or quantify experience, some areas for further exploration might include;

1). Tax return - (with the personal stuff blotted out) a string of 3 or 4 years of data would show continuing experience in the field.

2). Copies of continuous business permits for each year going back to the first year claimed.

3). Copies of the first and last 20 inspection reports for all years claimed to be in business.

4). Copies of insurance policies purchased for the business over the years claimed.

As far as Ron Lemar goes there must be some kind of a verifiable paper trail that was left over in the wake of performing 4,500 inspections over 9 years wouldn’t you think?

Personally I can show a time-line of inspection performed, test taken, insurance policies purchased, business permits issued, tax returns filed, seminars attended and so on proving that we are in our fourth year of business while having performed just over 1000 inspections. I would think Mr. LeMar would be able to cobble together similar information.