Another reason to self closing doors to the garage

Of course, to home inspectors, this is obvious.

But for those of us who’s clients roll their eyes when we explain why we’re calling out the door from the home to the garage for not self-closing and latching:

Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll - The New York Times

Great post thanks… Ian

Also another good reason to have carbon monoxide detectors. They are required here for new construction if the house has an attached garage.

Thanks for the share Ian!

Good point.

CO detectors are required in California at time of sale if the home has either a gas appliance or attached garage.

Only on New Construction?

I always recommend them regardless.

I guess that’s better than nothing, as far as the State Statute is concerned. What about the millions of other homes?

Illinois has basically the same law, except it is within 15 feet of rooms use for sleeping. BUT it is for ALL homes, new or 200 years old.

Exactly.

Maybe it was never as much of a problem as it is up north. Around Tampa natural gas still is not very common but more and more new homes do have it, we have fireplaces but not as many as up there and people are much less likely to warm up their cars in the garage here.

Fire rated doors with self closing hinges from the garage to the house only became code in 2014.

Good post Ian.

The garage could also have an AHU inside, a common setup in Florida (and elsewhere).

While tragic, self-closing & self-latching doors, obviously important, would do nothing to stop the gas from entering the leaking HVAC cabinet, especially after many hours of the engine running. Or from leaking under the threshold. Or from leaking into one of the many holes I routinely find in garage walls or ceilings.

Dom.

Show me the code please.

My pleasure.

Page 6, R3025.1

I know this from being a Finish Carpenter and actually installing them.

The link doesn’t work.

Ok the code is R3025.1

Is that a section of the Florida building code?

Ditto.

Ionization, photo-electric & CO

I figured a GC licensed in the State of Florida would know that. Maybe I’m wrong.

I believe that was removed in the 2017 FBC.
CHAPTER 3 BUILDING PLANNING
| 2017 Florida Building Code - Residential, Sixth Edition | ICC publicACCESS

Interesting. Homeowners didn’t like them anyway.