What a sad image

**Riot police forced to guard Christmas tree in Athens after protesters attack it **

Protesters attacked a city-sponsored Christmas tree in central Athens today tossing rubbish and hanging plastic bags from its branches before clashing with riot police.
The riot police were stationed around the huge tree to protect it and were still surrounding it as night fell.

The crowd of about 150 clashed with dozens of police shortly after 4pm after throwing rubbish at the tree in Athens’ central Syntagma Square.

A Christmas tree is a dead inanimate relic leftover from pagan mythology. Sad image, hardly newsworthy.

I think I saw you in the crowd.

Well it sure lights my kids up.:slight_smile: I bought a 9 footer this year and we have had a fun time so far. Can’t wait until Christmas.

Amen

Bob, your eyes must be better than mine, I could not see the elf, however, I may have confused him with one of the trash bags! :mrgreen:

I have a step brother that thinks kinda like that.

Poor guy never has seen a shrink so we just give the roll of the eyes when he walks in the room and empty the medicine chest when he visits.
Rough comments never help* as you could turn him upside down and shake him all day with no effect.

He got hit by a car as a kid and we figure the damage is permanent.

And from the article:
The square’s first Christmas tree was burned to the ground on December 8, the worst day of rioting in the Athens centre
. . . my grandson can’t wait to see ours and the lights outside . . . in fact when he comes and we’ve forgotten to turn them on he’s pulling at your leg dragging you and pointing to turn the lights on . . . what a sad day in Athens

Most modern Pagan sources interpret the word to have meant “rustic,” “hick,” or “country bumpkin” – a pejorative term. The implication was that Christians used the term to ridicule country folk who tenaciously held on to what the Christians considered old-fashioned, outmoded Pagan beliefs. Those in the country were much slower in adopting the new religion of Christianity than were the city folks. They still followed the Greek state religion, Roman state religion, Mithraism, various mystery religions, etc., long after those in urban areas had converted.

Some believe that in the early Roman Empire, “paganus” came to mean “civilian” as opposed to “military.” Christians often called themselves “miles Christi” (Soldiers of Christ). The non-Christians became “pagani” – non-soldiers or civilians. No denigration would be implied.

C. Mohrmann suggests that the general meaning was any “outsider,” – a neutral term – and that the other meanings, “civilian” and “hick,” were merely specialized uses of the term

Anyway Christmas trees bring Joy and Excitment to all kids of all beliefs And thats good enough for me , So i quess i am a pagan because sure enough cats have little kittins i am a hick

Opah! :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like you are in good company, the ancient use of evergreens around the winter solstice predates Christian adaptation. Nordic countries for centuries have celebrated the winter advent called the Yule. It was celebrated in Iceland far before Christianity became widely accepted throughout the world.

Despite being associated with a Christian festival, many have made the claim that the tradition’s origins are pre-Christian, originating in ancient Germanic paganism. Germanic tribes lighted trees (Tannenbaum) and celebrated the fest of light (Lichtfest) around the shortest day of the year, December 21. The tradition of the Christmas tree can be reliably dated to 16th century Germany, and it was popularised across the Western world in the 18th and 19th centuries.