ScumbagNAHI at it again.

ScumbagNAHI, the sleezy organization that at the last moment moved its National Covention to the same place our’s was being held in Orlando (the very 3 days preceeding ours), the organization that has an Executive Director who confessed to me personally that she paid for the postage for PHIC to send a disparaging letter out to REALTORs for the sole purpose of harming NACHI member’s businesses, the organization that puts out a 4 page letter to its members trying to explain why their Code of Ethics stinks: http://www.nachi.org/the_lady_doth_protest_too_much_methinks.htm is at it once again… they sued NACHI in of all places… Michigan (???) We hired a Michigan law firm to file a motion to dismiss of course. Is there no bottom to the NAHI scum bucket?

It would appear Nick that NAHI Inspectors are not the only ones doing this type of thing.
Check out this website and you tell me what is going on.
www.abstracttoearth.com
Larry

Why would NAHI be suing NACHI in Michigan???

Care to explain???

I think there are alot of consumers who only think of the convenience of having a WalMart type service, and they don’t consider the potential for abuse of the system.

Hopefully they won’t get burned too bad. :frowning:

Joe -

If I had to sue someone I’d rather do it in a warm climate, where I could hang by the pool while waiting to go to court.

They figure they can travel a few miles to Michigan easier and less expensive than I can, and because they are unenthusiastic about attempting to win on the merits of their case, the scumbags are attempting to make it difficult for NACHI to defend with a venue 1,000 miles away.

Just another scumbag NAHI tactic.

I will start a site in a few weeks: nahiscum.com, to post all the things the scummy things they and their members have done in the past 15 year. I have the greatest “tell all” quotes from their own members.

You are kidding, right ?

WOW! can you say conflict of interest, and an OAHI, RHI too. I’m sure they have a few more like this guy. The others may be just a little more discrete about it.

Impartiality is our profession’s most precious asset. As a REALTOR for many years I can assure you all that home inspectors are the only impartial party to a real estate transaction (everyone else has a personal or financial interest in it). We can take pride in this fact. Once we let scum like NAHI kill our precious impartiality… we are useless as professionals, worse than useless, and our industry will be dead.

Here is my favorite quote from one of their 8 year members:

*----- Original Message -----
To: nick.gromicko@nachi.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:48 PM
Subject: NAHI

Hello gromicko,

The following is an email sent to you by rpruner via your account on the NACHI message board. If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

Webmaster@nachi.org

Include this full email (particularly the headers). Please note that the reply address to this email has been set to that of rpruner.

Message sent to you follows

Hi Nick: 

Last year I quit NAHI. They decided it was O.K. for inspectors to work on homes and do repairs to correct defects that they found during the inspection. 

Several inspector including myself, said it's members should have a say as to whether it is O.K. or not. About 90% said they disaprove of this recommendation. NAHI responded with "it was the Board's say and they will not change their minds". **So, after 8 years of being a NAHI MEMBER, I QUIT. **It is my understanding many others have quit since and are interested in NACHI. 

... They charge for everything, as well as screw you on shipping etc. They have nothing new or interesting to ever present, and the same old ideas! 

Same old management style of NAHI, just focus on promoting the .... 

Please keep up your ideas and marketing up ahead of the industry and the help you give inspectors, I see most of the good inspectors are going to NACHI soon. 

Keep up the good work 
Rolland Pruner 
Pro-Imaging inspections*

Anyone???

Hey we have a problem up here in Canada with CAHPI and the Chief Examiner making statements on behalf of CREA these consist of statements:

• The CAPHI programme was the only national programme extant that would provide reliable inspectors

• That only inspectors who are members of CAPHI and certified by that body should be used

• That all inspectors who were operating outside of the CAPHI membership / programme were incompetent and a dangerous unknown quantity

• That CREA was on side with this programme and would shortly be making an announcement to that effect instructing agents an brokers to use only CAPHI member / certified inspectors

*** A significant part of ATEC’s activities is the performance of consumer Home Inspections through AccuChex Building Inspectors, a registered division. Home Inspections are of interest to people buying or selling a house, as well as those experiencing specific problems with their current home. Please refer to the inspection pages.

As to Accuchex, this company appears to be in a conflict of interest and would appear to be in contravention of the COE of OAHI as he is a RHI.

Never mind NAHI in the USA, what about our problem in Canada with regards to CAHPI and National Certification and the attributed comments about CREA?

I say, forget about the CAPHI national certification. They can continue to run their private club until they go the way of the dinosaurs. Without new blood CAPHI will wither and die. Nick is working on NACHI’s own national certification program and the CMI.

While I agree with your comments the fact remains CAHPI is making statements that run contrary to CREA’s mission statements and CAHPI via spokespeople are making statements they have no business making. From what has been said thus far these statements appear to be made without the knowledge of CREA.

This is not the first case of comments being made that are misleading, not to mention restrictive trade practices, and application questions.

Left unchecked these comments will and are being taken as gospel.

Be vigilant.

cheers,

http://www.businessedge.ca/article.cfm/newsID/12575.cfm

By Laura Severs - Business Edge
Published: 05/11/2006 - Vol. 6, No. 10

[http://www.businessedge.ca/images/tools_email.gif](http://www.businessedge.ca/sendToFriend.cfm/newsID/12575.cfm)[http://www.businessedge.ca/images/tools_print.gif](javascript:;)[http://www.businessedge.ca/images/tools_comment.gif](http://www.businessedge.ca/comment.cfm/newsID/12575.cfm)                                                                      
              As the housing market across Canada grows                    hotter, some buyers could get burned by opting to bypass home                    inspections, industry officials say.

The trend is most prominent in Alberta,                    Ontario and parts of B.C. - all provinces experiencing a high                    demand for homes and a low supply of product.

While the Canadian Association of Home and                    Property Inspectors (CAHPI) calls a home inspection "consumer                    protection at its best," it is not a mandatory part of a home                    purchase.

"If there is no home inspection, it's buyer                    beware," says CAHPI national president Michael Guihan. "If                    there are problems after the fact, you have to prove an intent                    to defraud or conceal on the part of the vendor."

http://admin.businessedge.ca/pictures/5030.jpg

Jack Dagley, Business Edge Certified Edmonton home inspector Terry Fikowski has seen a rise in inspection cancellations. Guihan, a certified home inspector who operates out of Newfoundland, says he has heard some bankers have advised buyers to get a home inspection, "but that’s very rare. It’s not policy. Most insurance companies are starting to recognize the benefits of a home inspection in a report, but they don’t require it.

"At this point in time, the only reason to                    do it (a home inspection) is because someone wants it done,"                    says Guihan.

Richard Golumbia is a Calgary-area franchise                    holder and area manager for HouseMaster, a New Jersey-based                    company that offers home-inspection services and                    home-inspection franchises throughout the U.S. and Canada. He                    says his home-inspection business is down by about 30 per                    cent.
               "Basically, what buyers are doing is paring                    down their offers to make them as clean as possible," says                    Golumbia, referring to the elimination of conditions,                    including a home inspection, on an offer to purchase.
               He adds the real estate market is hotter                    than it was during the late 1990s, when "it was a similar                    situation with multiple offers, upbidding of the asking price                    and the elimination of conditions," he adds.

The situation isn't as bad in Edmonton, says                    HouseMaster franchisee Terry Fikowski. "We tentatively book                    inspections for people, but we are also having a lot of                    cancellations because they call the next morning and say: 'We                    didn't get that house,' " says Fikowski, a certified home                    inspector.

"We're still extremely busy," he adds. "I've                    talked to a few buyers who waived the (home inspection)                    condition to get the house. I suspect we'll probably be                    getting some of those calls in June, July or August (to do an                    inspection after the fact)."

Fikowski and Golumbia point to a shortage of                    houses on the market as a main reason why home inspections are                    being waived.
               Both the Edmonton and Calgary real estate                    boards have recently noted that there are fewer homes                    available for sale in their respective cities when compared to                    the previous year.

"If you're desperate to buy a home and                    you're moving here, and you've sold yours, buyers are doing                    whatever is necessary to get a home," says Fikowski. "Buyers                    have to make their purchase decisions fairly quickly, if you                    wait a day and don't put in an offer you're probably going to                    have look for a different house.

"It's probably not wise to waive a home                    inspection, but this is something they have to decide                    themselves."

In B.C., a strong housing market across the                    Lower Mainland is causing a unique effect. Either you'll find                    a number of home inspectors at one property at the same time -                    to get the inspection done as quickly as possible - or you                    won't find any at all.

"From time to time, we will have multiple                    inspectors in a home at the same time and certainly there will                    be some people who have not gotten the home inspection due to                    the activity in the market," says Bill Sutherland, president                    of CAHPI (BC).

What concerns Sutherland is the fact that                    some people are not even attempting to get a home                    inspection.
               "It's not the lack of home inspectors," he                    says, referring to buyers who waive a home inspection. "The                    market is hot and people are trying to make offers that have                    no conditions on them at all, or have a very short time to                    remove any conditions."
               Much depends on the area of the province and                    in some cases the real estate agents involved, Sutherland                    adds. "I think (some of) the agents are saying ... 'you want                    this house, you buy it now, as is.' " He adds that the home                    inspection issue is not necessarily a problem in northern                    B.C., the Okanagan or even Victoria.

"(But) in the Lower Mainland, I understand,                    you have half an hour to make up your mind."
               In Ontario, officials at Carson Dunlop                    Consulting Engineers have also noticed a drop in the number of                    home inspections by prospective buyers.
               "I don't believe the houses are flying off                    the market quite as fast as they are in Calgary," says Graham                    Clarke, vice-president, engineering for the Toronto-based                    company that performs home inspections and also trains home                    inspectors.

"The real estate market seems a little bit                    slower than it was last year, but once a house is on the                    market it does seem to generate a lot of interest."
               Carson Dunlop is now placing a larger                    emphasis on pre-listing home inspections, where the house is                    examined on behalf of a vendor before it hits the market.

"This allows the vendor a few options," says                    Clarke. "They may choose to take any defects that are found                    and have them corrected before the house goes on the market,                    or they can simply make the home inspection report available                    to anybody interested in the house.
               "Even if there are defects in the home, the                    house is going to sell more quickly if the information is                    known up front, and this actually encourages people to go in                    with a clean offer with no conditions."
               Several years ago, pre-listing inspections                    accounted for less than five per cent of Carson Dunlop's                    business. Now, it represents about 20 per cent of the                    inspections done. "It's only over the last year we've gotten                    serious about it," says Clarke.

Meanwhile, a national standard to create and                    certify home inspectors is about to be introduced.

CAHPI is in the process of implementing the                    voluntary program and will be ready to start the certification                    process this fall.
               "We've created a baseline, a minimum                    national standard for home inspectors and it's the highest in                    the world," says Guihan.
               "We've created (the designation of) National                    Certificate Holder. You do not have to be a member CAHPI or                    any CAHPI provincial association, but CAHPI is the certifying                    authority. If you prove competency and meet the requirements,                    you will be issued a certificate and enter into a legally                    binding agreement with CAHPI to perform according to CAHPI                    standards."

Certificate holders will be able to work in                    any province or territory and will need to be re-certified                    every five years. However, three provinces, British Columbia,                    Alberta and Quebec, are already looking at their own                    legislation to license home inspectors.

"Alberta wants to license home inspectors,                    the province of Quebec anticipates licensing before end of                    this year and B.C. is going through the process," says                    Guihan.

But Guihan is hopeful that talks CAHPI has                    had with the provinces will mean there will still be one                    national standard, and any additional regulations will only                    push the bar higher.

"They are aware of the national standards                    (we're introducing) and hopefully they'll be modelling their                    licensing requirements on these established national                    standards," he says. "The response from every provincial                    government we've been talking to has been extremely good."
               Still, even with national standards, Guihan                    emphasizes that home inspectors are only human. "We're not                    God. I don't have x-ray vision. I don't have crystal ball but                    I'm going to do my best," says Guihan. "As a home inspector I                    have a responsibility to my client to be honest, thorough and                    realistic."

**Home Inspection Tips**
               The Canadian Association of Home and                    Property Inspectors (CAHPI) suggests that home buyers protect                    themselves by calling several inspectors in advance to find                    out their qualifications.

Here are some questions to ask:

* To what professional associations does the                    inspector belong?

* Is the inspector a member of one of the                    provincial/regional organizations of CAHPI?

* Does the inspector supply a written                    report?

* How long has the inspector been in                    business as a home-inspection firm?

* Is the inspector specifically experienced                    in residential construction?

* Does the company offer to do any repairs                    or improvements based on its inspection? CAHPI says this might                    cause a conflict of interest.

* How long will the inspection take? CAHPI                    points out that the average time for a home inspection is 1.5                    hours to 2.5 hours, and that anything less isn't enough time                    to do a thorough inspection.

* How much will the inspection cost?

* Does the inspector encourage the client to                    attend the inspection? This is a valuable educational                    opportunity and an inspector's refusal should raise a red                    flag, CAHPI claims.

* Does the inspector participate in                    continuing education programs to keep his/her expertise up to                    date?

- Source: The Canadian Association of Home                    and Property Inspectors
               (Laura Severs can be reached at laura@businessedge.ca)

Dont you guys have a whole section of the board just for this stuff?

Yes, thank you for reminding me. I will also post this in the Canadian Section.

Ray - I believe you posts needs correction regarding “Chief Examiner”. I did not make those statements. I ask that you kindly review and either correct or remove the post.

Gee Claude I had a look and most of your posts have been removed and I guess as you say there is no way to confirm or deny what was posted .
That is what you told me .
Roy Sr.

Claude

Someone is going around saying they are the Chief Examiner, and other attributable comments. Obviously someone is representing you or misrepresenting their authority/position or both.

Maybe you would like to tell us who the Examiners are in Ontario?