Signs of the Times...

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200608/CUL20060829b.html

Many people are afraid of speaking up for morality anymore.
Those who do are now labeled as guilty of hate speech.

In the end, it will be the children who suffer from our societies
moral decay. As our values die, so does our nation.

or this one

John,

This country is dying of PC, there is a huge amount to be said for saying what you think based on your convictions, I am paid to speak my mind based on my training and experience, that is my stock in trade.

Many people like to attack those with opinions, but those opinions based on knoweldge and experience are what we trade on…Some more successfully than others

Regards

Gerry

My children and their values are just fine thank you.

They know to judge a person by what’s in their heart rather than by who that person may love.

They know you can hold religious/political beliefs contrary to theirs and that does not make you immoral, unethical or evil.

They know if you don’t support a companies decisions, you can let that company know why and go elsewhere with your money.

If Walmart chooses to ally themselves with the NGLCC, that’s their right as a business. What that has to do with moral decay is beyond me.

Not everyone will agree with your version of “moral decay,” because not everyone agrees with your version of…morality.

Regarding gays, lesbians, transsexuals and bisexuals, your interpretation of your Good Book may indeed guide your views about such folk. It might be instructive to remember, however, that believing these folk are evil, wrong, degenerate and “immoral” not only implies, but requires a substantial JUDGMENT on your part. I’m no biblical scholar, but I remember a few things from Sunday school. One in particular that sticks-out in my mind is that JUDGMENT is reserved for the Lord.

Regarding holding-out WalMart’s business operations as a model of moral superiority…well…pick-up a newspaper. Things ain’t what they used to be in the business world since 'ol Sam’s heyday. Moral decay, indeed…and none of it having a thing to do with gays.

The are real “signs of the times” that reflect a substantial moral decay in our society and country. A few come to mind:

1.) Close to 1 out-of 6 Americans with NO health care coverage?
2.) Rich getting filthy richer, poor getting even poorer, and damn near everyone else who’s left in-between persuaded by some of the slickest advertising ever devised to spend 99/100ths of their time and energy trying to figure-out how to become rich and not fall-off the end of the world like those po’ folk? Lottery ticket, anyone?
3.) Saddam’s in the pokey…meanwhile, there are 25 more just like him (and maybe some worse) around the world kicking-in people’s doors tonight and disappearing them in the name of…???
4.) A flood of biblical proportions wiping-out one of our major cities, people dying in the streets and in their homes, while our Commander-in-Chief grabs a TV photo-op and says, “You’re doin’ a hell of a job, Brownie.” (I’m wondering what Jesus thought of THAT??? Obviously, I can’t know for sure, but if I were a betting man, I’d bet…HE’S PISSED!)
5.) Our captains of industry can’t send our best-paying jobs abroad fast enough, while their noses are buried in TAXPAYER SUBSIDIES???
6.) Our own government promotes “freedom” and “democracy” abroad, while stealthily (and sometimes not so stealthily) slicing and dicing our treasured Bill of Rights?

We do, indeed, have a moral decay problem. It just doesn’t have anything to do with gays and dykes. I’m with Jeff. My kids are alright. They’ve got a pretty good grasp of right and wrong.

Chris,

1.) Close to 1 out-of 6 Americans with NO health care coverage?

Would that include a vast number of the vaunted Walmarts employees?

2.) Rich getting filthy richer, poor getting even poorer, and damn near everyone else who’s left in-between persuaded by some of the slickest advertising ever devised to spend 99/100ths of their time and energy trying to figure-out how to become rich and not fall-off the end of the world like those po’ folk? Lottery ticket, anyone?

If you’re busy trying to get ahead, you won’t have time to ask uncomfortable questions.

3.) Saddam’s in the pokey…meanwhile, there are 25 more just like him (and maybe some worse) around the world kicking-in people’s doors tonight and disappearing them in the name of…???

Busy times ahead in deposing tyrants. Didn’t Rome do the same thing? Constant warfare keeps the folks at home in line. After all, paranoia is patriotic.

4.) A flood of biblical proportions wiping-out one of our major cities, people dying in the streets and in their homes, while our Commander-in-Chief grabs a TV photo-op and says, “You’re doin’ a hell of a job, Brownie.” (I’m wondering what Jesus thought of THAT??? Obviously, I can’t know for sure, but if I were a betting man, I’d bet…HE’S PISSED!)

Chris, you silly man, they were POOR people. Our country doesn’t have to care about POOR people! They need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. The reason they are poor is because they are lazy.

5.) Our captains of industry can’t send our best-paying jobs abroad fast enough, while their noses are buried in TAXPAYER SUBSIDIES???

Trickle-down economics. If you reward big business, the employees will naturally reap the benefits. Big Oil is making record profits. I imagine that cashier at the Amoco is making BIG bucks now.

6.) Our own government promotes “freedom” and “democracy” abroad, while stealthily (and sometimes not so stealthily) slicing and dicing our treasured Bill of Rights?

Although we’ve been doing a pretty good job lately of promoting torture and suspending habeus corpus abroad. I mean after all, if we can’t trust the president to decide on who disappears into a secret prison, who CAN we trust?

You are absolutely correct, sir.

Show me a man who does not stand for something, and I’ll show you a man who will fall for anything.

It’s a different world, today, though. Our younger folks have been taught that there are no absolute truths…that there is no “right” and there is no “wrong”. In the midst of fighting a war, they take sides against their own government.

The more I read, the more convinced I become that the terrorists are simply blowing up, torturing and beheading the wrong people.:wink:

What do you stand for Jim? Please enlighten us.

What if you believe your government is wrong? Isn’t it then your duty to oppose it via any lawful means?

That statement tells me everything I need to know about you.

It takes a Mom and Dad to create children and I have
never seen a good replacement for that.

Everyone thinks they are right in their own eyes so I
look beyond a mans limited opinion and see the
laws of nature and the God of nature for wisdom.

No society can stand, once the family unit falls. Homosexuals
have an average life span into their 40’s and then they die
from their choices they made. They have very high rates
of suicide and depression. These are the facts and the law
of nature and the God of nature do not have to do a thing
to prove what is the truth. People do it to themselves.

Jesus said “unless you repent, you will perish”. Those were
words of love to protect us from ourselves. His love was
for everyone, not just our selfish preferences, which in the end
will hurt ourselves, others and our children’s children.

I know this is not PC, but neither was Jesus. He died to let
us know that sin KILLS, and HE took our place. Now HE
calls us to repent and believe in the message that HE
died for. “Repent” is good news if you really want to be free.

Jesus did not come to endorse sodomy.

And there shall come a time, a time when we shall know the answers to our many questions. In that time some shall become so bitterly disappointed–others shall rejoice in their fate.

It would be far better to prepare this day for that which truly shall become our ultimate destiny…

"Ve grow so shoon oldt, und so late shmardt!"

It’s from an old German saying, but I don’t know who the old German was who said it…

You’re full of questions, Larson. I’ll try to give you a few answers.

1.) It’s not the government’s problem, or the government’s fault. I kind of see it as everyone’s problem. However, since we pay for the government’s leadership, I think it’s not inappropriate to expect them to at least take the lead in finding solutions. And I’m not talking about a prescription plan which arguably benefits pharma manfucturers more than it does those who are served.

2.) Poor’s poor, bro. There might be some comparative value in approaching it from a relativistic viewpoint, but poor’s still poor. If you’re suggesting it’s better to be poor in Poughkeepsie, NY than it is to be poor in Kabul, Afghanistan, well…maybe you’re right, maybe you’re not. What seems clear is that they’re almost equally-well ignored and dismissed in both spots.

3.) Proposed solution? I’m a property inspector, not an NSA guru or SecDef. If I was, however, I think I’d have picked one of the other two “Axis of Evil” players to invade, first. They seem a bit more dangerous. Don’t you agree?

4.) You’re right again…plenty of blame to go 'round on New Orleans, and not limited to the federal government. As far as my feelings about G.W. Bush, don’t make assumptions, since you don’t know me. But since you did ASSume, yeah, he’s not a favorite of mine. I almost believed that his governance and administration helped keep us “safer”…right up until that flood. Now I know all that safe talk for what it really is…patent horsesh*t.

5.) Never heard that solution proposed before, but sure, it’d be a start. I guess if most Americans could make a decent living wage in whatever market they work-in, somewhat higher prices at Wal-Mart really wouldn’t be an issue, would they? In the meantime, please don’t beat me over the head with any trickle-down horsesh*t about economic growth, based on the plentiful creation of jobs which pay $5 an hour. Can’t really make a living on that wage, ANYWHERE in the U.S. of A, even with a healthy dose of O.T.

6.) How about we start with Habeus Corpus? We can move-on from there.

I’d really appreciate it if you’d also refrain from continuing your assumptions about my “brand of hate.” You don’t know me, much less who or what, if anything, I hate. What I strive to teach my children is to deal with others on the basis of WHO they are, not WHAT they are. When you see and deal with others on the basis solely of their gender, age, socioeconomic station, race, creed or sexual preference, you’ll be incapable of interacting with them as to WHO they are. And I definitely don’t think that’s what Jesus had in-mind. Strictly my opinion, of course.

Thanks for answering Radan and please forgive me for making some of the assumptions that I obviously did. Oops.

I ask questions because I get tired of rhetorical statements on both sides that only hint at much deeper issues in our society. It’s unfortunate that we live in a sound bite world and seem to have lost the ability to discuss an issue with the goal of finding some common ground. There may be more than one “right” way of doing things but until we explore the arguments on both sides we cannot make an informed decision. JMHO

Thanks for interacting.

Dr Laura and Leviticus

Laura Schlesinger is a US radio personality, who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. She recently said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination, according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura which was posted on the Internet.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination… End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.
    Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan, Homer Simpson-Caldwell

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination… End of debate.

Jesus gave us the New Testament and it also teaches against the error of the homosexual life style in Romans Chapter one. The Old Testament has been done away in Christ, but the moral teachings continue. The moral law that continues but the need for other types of law are done away such as laws of hygiene, government, business, etc… The old testament dealt with the subject of war, slavery, and poverty in very primitive ways because it was a barbaric and primitive world these people lived in. Laws dealing with slavery were not in the context with our manner of life. We have welfare and have no need to sell ourselves to get out of debt. Our society is not constantly forced into wholesale war with hand to hand combat and then trying to repair our farms after all the battles. Thanks God things are different.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

Slavery was already a wide spread manner of business in that time. The law made provision to treat slaves fairly, and the time limits of ownership. The heathens who were captured in war or moved into the land of Israel were subject to being purchased, assimilated into the law of Israel, and then released at the appointed time (if the owner acted lawfully). I do not endorse slavery, but understand it’s place in history. The Irish (my ancestors) were enslaved by several countries long ago

1. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

Extreme poverty forced parents to accept the offer of engagement for their daughters at a young age. The one who purchased this young girl was commanded to marry her when she reached the proper age. You left this part out.

1. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

The practice of abstaining during menstrual cycles is a very healthy habit. The poisons of the discharge can be pushed back into the woman’s womb and cause problems because this poison was intended to come out.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

Jesus has fulfilled this need. He has taken our punishment and we no longer have to sacrifice animals (this was a type and shadow of his suffering for us).

1. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

Jesus brought the full understanding of this when He said “the Sabbath was created for man, not man for the Sabbath”. The setting aside of a day of worship does anyone good and those who do not worship will find themselves decaying slowly on the inside. Jesus provides this Sabbath now (Sabbath = rest). He is our day of rest, whatever day that falls on.

1. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?

Some abominations bring harm to the health of a person, some bring harm to the very mind and nature of a person. Some sins left unchecked can destroy a society. Jesus said “not those things that go into the mouth defile him, but those things that come from your heart defile a man”… then Jesus listed such things as evil thoughts, fornication, theft, etc…

1. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle- room here?

**This law was for the requirements of being a priest. It was a type and shadow to show that Christ’s priesthood was without blemish before God. All the laws of priesthood were types and shadows of the greater priesthood fulfilled in Christ. **

1. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

This scripture says nothing about death. It was an instruction to not get into all the styles of that day but to accept the way God made you without trying to look like the heathen.

1. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

**Again, this was a health law to protect people from spreading infection. Personal laws of hygiene were not on the same level of importance as moral laws. Jesus ate with unwashed hands but told people that the unclean things inside your heart were more important. Jesus did not command us to “not wash our hands anymore”, but was teaching the balance between what is really important. **

1. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16.
    Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

**Laws concerning crop or cloth enhancements were not sins punished by death. Blasphemy was a sin unto death. If society lost it’s respect for the Lord, they would also disobey his law and everyone would suffer. This law was made for a primitive people to protect them. If someone thinks it’s a good thing to sleep with their in-laws, then it’s a shame we don’t have a way to purge these perverts from our society anymore. Christ taught us mercy but not stupidity. It sounds like this writer would also see no harm in sleeping with his own children. What a shame. May God have mercy.

These comments and questions are an attemt to slant and make extreme nonsense out of things taken out of content. To those looking to find anything to justify their sinful life style, they will latch onto this type of error instead of seeking the whole balance of truth.**

Joseph,

I notice you didn’t share any of your own thoughts just a poor attempt by someone to discredit Dr. Laura and the Bible in particular.

John has made a reasoned response to the “supposed” dilemma raised by the author of the letter to Dr. laura in Joe’s post above. Thanks John

Joe’s post is an example of someone using a portion of the Bible to discredit a particular practice or to discredit the Bible in it’s entirety. Though there are disagreements as to the amount of continuity or discontinuity between the testaments, there is far more that is agreed upon. My suggestion to anyone is that they read it for themselves.

The Bible is panoramic view of of God’s provision for mankind from its the beginning to its end. It can only be properly understood as a whole and complete work. Context is always the key to a fuller understanding. There exists widening levels of context as one studies. There are few things that are more rewarding than the study of scripture as God’s will is revealed to one personally.

My personal thoughts is that the world would be a much better place without religion (it is obvious this MB would), more people have died & been killed in the name of god then for any other reason. Furthermore religion & politics has no place in the bedroom, thanks for asking. Fortunately I still live in a country where I can freely believe or choose not believe myths & superstitions… Happy Halloween!

Dr. Laura was asked about the Jewish religion not the Christian Religion and the Torah Michael, not the Bible.:stuck_out_tongue: Two completely different supertisions.:wink:
</IMG></IMG>

Brian,

I’ll give the benifit fo the doubt that you are not aware the the Tora is part of the bible I mentioned. Context still remains th ekey issue. My view would not change even if you did not include the “New Testament” as part of the discussion. BTW the “New Testament” is is foretold in many places in the “Old Testament”.

And you certainly are. But’s it’s doubtful this country would even exist were it not for those who left ther homelands because of their “religion”.