on site reports

I am switching from hand-written reports to computer-generated reports and would like to print my reports at the various inspection sites using my car/cigarette lighter port to power my ipad (which doesn’t need wifi to access the internet) and wireless airprint printer. I can print out the reports at home but how will I print them out at the job sites, as some houses are vacant with no power and internet access? I thought I would need a wireless router but was just told by a tech guy from Netgear (a router company) that it’s not possible. I’m pretty sure there are inspectors that are doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Don’t do it, just email it. Not worth the effort and cost.

Use your ipad as a hot spot

Wayne get used to using the computer first.
You are jumping ahead.

Guys print on site however so you can just use an inverter but others will jump in to tell you.

Hopefully you get a good data signal in NH.

Crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Make your transition when you become more efficient, don’t overwhelm yourself.

I am amazed people still would PAY for hand written ANYTHING :smiley: Did you also deliver them by mail :slight_smile:

Welcome to the Modern World. When is the last time someone actually paid you for a hand written report and where do you work? Just curious to what is going on in this industry.

Get an inverter and plug your printer into that. Go to a McDonalds, Wendys, Lowes, or other places that have wifi and “borrow” their connection. You can also plug your phone into a laptop, edit the report, then, transfer it back to your phone and e mail it from the phone.

Come on now I doubt OP has all those things.

No Offense intended.

I he is just now switching from hand written reports :L)

If he doesn’t, then what I posted is a suggestion of items he needs.

As far as doing reports onsite, if you have a system which which is error-proof, or at least 99% error-proof, then printing the reports onsite isn’t a problem.

I did it for years using a Toshiba laptop and an HP Laserjet 5 and 6 printer running off an inverter. On vacant houses, I would bring the printer into the house and print the report out right in the kitchen. That was before I started adding pictures.

The only reason I don’t do it now, is the extreme cost of printing out 3 copies of a 45 page report. It would probably take a good half an hour just to do that, unless you had a super fast, expensive color laser printer. Paper, binders, toner, etc…that would eat into the profits in a hurry.

And no offense taken. :slight_smile:

Email the reports as a PDF file unless a client specifically requests a printed copy which in this day and age is highly unlikely…

If the home has no power, what are you inspecting?
HVAC, Water Heater, Well Pump, Kitchen Appliances, Lighting and circuits, etc…

Being able to print a Report suggesting most (if not all) is “Not Inspected” On Site does not seem reasonable or valuable…

http://www.spectacularhis.com/printing.html

Thanks for the advice guys. Just to clear something up regarding the derogatory reply that was posted by Michael Meeker. When I said “hand-written reports” I basically mean it is not computer-generated. I don’t literally mean the whole report is hand-written. That is literally unheard of. I wasn’t even doing that 19 years ago when I first started inspecting homes. Again, thanks for all of the positive responses.

Hi Wayne,

as stated, get an inverter and use a printer with a bluetooth connection.

Here is another option already mentioned - How can i turn my new iPad into a wifi hotspot?

Or am I missing something here?

I I said NO OFFENSE I was wondering how and why folks would be doing that now days. You need to get a little thicker skin to be around here or you will likely stay pissed off.

I charge extra for a hard copy, I do about 2 per year. I’ve billed $50 for a spiral bound with clear cover front and back printed report for display. I send it to my printer she charges me, I charge them. My home printer, not great for this purpose the photos come out grainy.

We email and print out and mail every report, most of which are 80+ pages (We also used to send out a custom copy cd copy of the report, complete with a custom picture of the house label. ) The reports are colorful, spiral bound, have index tabs, etc. and look extremely professional (all credit to my wonderful wife who makes it possible). We also send out other “goodies” with the printed report, including a prestamped envelope to send back a short review of their experience. We get more compliments on them more than anything and that’s all that matters to me…the “wow” factor. And to be quite honest, I like “real” books & magazines myself. The emailed report is most likely to get filed away somewhere and forgotten about…just like everything else on a computer. That printed copy, however, will more than likely be kept/saved. The gift that keeps on giving :wink: I also still like getting packages in the mail…most people do. Emails? Not so much…read once (maybe) and delete.

Does anyone know of a full length video that shows someone doing a home inspection (on-site) and typing or prepping the report on-site. I would like to see how that is actually done. I would love to be able to perform that service but I can’t figure out how to shave off enough time to make it feasible. I take too long to inspect and then type the report at home. I could not imagine doing all the typing from my car. I would really like to see how its done. Examples would be extremely helpful.

Ed Rossi
FL State Certified Home Inspector HI-1583
FL State Certified Real Estate Appraiser RD-3731
FL Licensed Public Adjuster A226670

Does anyone know of a full length video that shows someone doing a home inspection (on-site) and typing or prepping the report on-site. I would like to see how that is actually done. I would love to be able to perform that service but I can’t figure out how to shave off enough time to make it feasible. I take too long to inspect and then type the report at home. I could not imagine doing all the typing from my car. I would really like to see how its done. Examples would be extremely helpful.

Ed Rossi
FL State Certified Home Inspector HI-1583
FL State Certified Real Estate Appraiser RD-3731
FL Licensed Public Adjuster A226670

I prefer not to kill trees. While books are nice, they are not necessary in this era.
I tried a couple times to do it onsite and I don’t think it really saved any time and I prefer to proof read it in the quiet of my office rather than in front of client with diarrhea of the mouth yapping the whole time.