State Licensing - Onboarding your state

I currently live in Minnesota and our state does not require inspectors to have passed the National Exam or hold licensing. What can I do to help push my state towards requiring licensing? Does anyone know if this is already in the works for MN or if InterNACHI is actively working with states to encourage them to go this direction?

Why do you think licensing is a good thing?

Dude, I was a licensed contractor for years in Minnesota and all it did for me was give the guys who will never be licensed the chance to undercut my pricing and start work sooner without jumping through the hoops that licensing required.

I suggest you ask licensed inspectors how licensing benefits them, then get back to us.

Licensing of home inspectors only benefit the REA’s.

Licensing sets basic, bare minimum requirements, that the REA’s want, so all HI’s will do basic, soft inspections and reports, at low prices, so the home will sell because the buyer will not be alarmed. All agents, office brokers, insurance agents, mortgage brokers and lenders, all will then get their cut of the revenue that the home sale brings.

IE, all drivers are good drivers because they are licensed. All barbers and hair dressers all do a good job because they are licensed. All marriges last because you have to get a marriage license to get married.

Licensing actually dumbs-down our profession. Licensing will only work if everyone is licensed to high standards. I suggest you read the differences between the InterNACHI SOP’s to those of ASHI. Most states that have put HI licensing into play use the ASHI standards, which IMO, are the lowest, poorest excuse for requirements out there.

Well, you know, it only really benefits the newbie inspectors as it immediately makes them an “equal” with all other veteran inspectors that did their time to make it in the industry! As long as one can pass the Licensing test and pay their $$$, that’s all that really matters. Potential clients only ask if you are licensed, and don’t really care if you don’t know squat and have performed zero inspections. You are as good as all veteran inspectors because your license says so!

Btw… I wonder if the OP has his WI license yet, as he is already (technically) advertising that he will be inspecting there (coming soon) on his website!

http://www.integrispecinspections.com/why-hire-me/

This subject has been discussed here thousands of times.

What is truly surprising about licensing is that many states that have it do not require repair persons, HVAC, dry wall installers, roofers, painters, etc. and Uncle Bob to be licensed to do home repairs. Also most states do not adapt state wide building codes, so inspectors do not know what a defect is, or is not. Even the home builders never get licensed, and they build the homes that we inspect.

Politicians only listen to their pockets.

Ahhhhhhh…
We’re all the same “commodity”.
Just like a dozen eggs, who’s got the cheapest dozen!
If you ran a poll I think the most popular buyer question is how much is your fee, not are you licensed.
I cannot remember anyone asking me for my license.
The only thing I can think of that licensing does is requires liability insurance.
That’s BS, in Florida you still don’t need E&O unless you’re a mold assessor.

Kind of like modern day INachi. ;-):wink:

www.CertifiedMasterInspector.org is the antidote to low-bar licensing.

As you were saying Chris? :neutral:

Here in KC, CMI means to most REA’s that you are the best, so do not recommend one to your client to do the inspection, because that CMI will write up every broken door knob and torn window screen.

Most all HI’s here advertise doing an inspection for $199 to $249, and get most of the business. It is all about price. Never experience here in the Midwest. I heard that there was one CMI around at $249, while talking to other REA’s in a meeting once. I saw a report from a home buyer last year who thought it was the best report that he had ever seen. It was 8 pages long and listed 3 defects. Rest of the report was maintenance information.

Licensing is generally good for the newbie and bad for average fee structures. These veteran inspectors who have spent years conquering their local markets are nuts to push for licensing.

HI licensing laws were abolished here in Kansas for many reasons. They did not help the consumer, put greater expenses onto new businesses and inspectors, put unnecessary requirements onto HI’s and their businesses, and no evidence was put forth that home inspectors were “bad”.

I wrote several letters to the Governor of Kansas that, I believe, got the message across.

So how does that benefit the consumer, now having unlicensed people doing home inspections?

Think of it this way, do you want to hire a licensed electrician to work on your electric panel or take your chance with an unlicensed guy?

In California, ANY person who performs a home inspection is a “Home Inspector”.

I hope this does not come off as too mean but do not be a f-cking idiot. Nothing good comes from licensing. Wake the f-ck up. I live in Florida and have seen the crap it does. Best of luck to you but get that stupid thought out of your head.

CMI will make you stand out from the crowd. Hopefully it is about to be the reason I start to make a ton of money consulting. Everyone I ever talk to that is not an inspector is impressed with C.M.I. and instantly know what it means. I just wish Nick could keep a running tab for us so we can say there are only 120 of us or so in the State. It can be figured out but it is a pain in the a-s.

Hey Mike - dead link?

www.homeinspection.meekerindustries.com

Folks here want to know if you are licensed/certified. They hear it everywhere. VA doesn’t require certification. I got tired of explaining to potential clients about the certification and earned my cert. I’m not for or against licensing, but don’t we recommend work be performed by licensed contractors and techs? Why would this profession be any different. I’ve heard all the sides to it. Not trying to start another. Just stating my thoughts.

Correct, Greg.

However, why don’t the REA’s and their bosses/office brokers set the standards of any home inspector, trades person, or any other RE transaction company and provide the best for their clients? Why don’t these offices suggest only CMI home inspectors?

Never will happen because they want the cash cow that these people create for themselves and their office. Sad for the consumer.

I absolutely agree. Whether it’s a CMI or not, they should want and expect the best for the customer. Yet it seems controlled by what contributes to the quickest sale, or close.

Thanks Marc, Roy let me know. I am not doing anything with it right now. I guess I need to remove the link:D