Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Miscellaneous Discussion for Inspectors Discuss whatever you wish in this forum.

Old 4/2/07, 10:47 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: bkelly1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Tidbits from the ASHI Message Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcauley
From what I have gathered from conversations with NACHI and other HIs, ASHI does have it problems. My issue is not with ASHI, NAHI, or other Home Inspection organizations in as much to with our guys continually bashing ASHI and the rest on bulletin boards the public can view. I do not personally believe that bashing and berating our "competition" to others is the way to make us look better is not professional not does it give a perception of us as professionals.

When I get shopped for prices, I state what NACHI demands of me as a home inspector and do not compare this to ASHI, NAHI etc. The more we mention ASHI and the others, the more we keep their name in front of the public, which allows our clients to wonder "who are those guys" and why did this inspector mention them. In my opinion, lets keep these guys out of every bodies mind and thoughts and do our best as an organization to keep ourselves professional and the best inspectors around. ASHI may just go away if people do not know who they are. Wishful and naive thinking on my part, but out of sight, out of mind.

In contrast to that statement, we must do our part as an organization to ensure that the NACHI position on home inspectors becomes and/or remains to be the one people count on for the professional, ethical, elite inspectors we are. This can be done by being a professional, ensuring that NACHI goals and objectives are met and achieved, along with countering ASHI and all the the others ideas in any state assemblies when it comes to laws and ordinance.
Very good post. It is just that some cannot meet the requirements of ashi and hold grudges on that part. It is as silly as bringing their board discussions over to here so we can read them. Childish, and unprofessional at best.
Old 4/2/07, 10:54 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly1
Very good post. It is just that some cannot meet the requirements of ashi and hold grudges on that part. It is as silly as bringing their board discussions over to here so we can read them. Childish, and unprofessional at best.
Poor defense, hardly holds water these days, most NACHI members can fulfill their requirements, today there are many inspectors who belong to both associations.

As for me and my family... We've sworn to never vote for another white man as long as there is a viable woman or minority candidate, I suggest you take the same pledge.

Certified Master Inspector - 2010
Florida Licensed Home Inspector - HI176
Florida Licensed Mold Assessor - MRSA208

Square-One Inspection "Assurance begins here"
Old 4/2/07, 10:59 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: lkrausz is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Dennis is right. Stop the childish bad mouthing. Stand up for what you believe in and fight the rest as a adult would and should.
Old 4/2/07, 11:00 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrausz
Dennis is right. Stop the childish bad mouthing. Stand up for what you believe in and fight the rest as a adult would and should.
I agree, Larry.

How do you suggest that we bring this to fruition...on both sides?
Old 4/2/07, 11:08 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbushart
I agree, Larry.

How do you suggest that we bring this to fruition...on both sides?
How about if we at least stop putting this type of post's in the news paper.

https://www.nachi.org/forum/showthrea...936#post183936

Roy Cooke
Old 4/2/07, 12:44 PM

I don't know if this is happening in more cities than St. Louis and Kansas City, but this push for licensing is not really an "ASHI" thing, all the time.

In Missouri, the push is being led by the Missouri Association of Realtors. In order to give the legislature the appearance that home inspectors are involved in their effort, they have recruited some leaders of ASHI chapters to help them put up that front....with the promise of giving them seats on the new licensing board, once they have it in place.

The poor ASHI members are being duped to think that their leaders are supporting their objection to the bill, when they are actually working behind the scenes to lobby for it...thus, selling out their own membership for their personal gain.

There is a lot of filth in the real estate industry, here...and some ASHI people are up to their necks in it.

With that being said, we have many, many ASHI members working with us from every part of the state to stop the bill...and we are winning, with their help. I'm kind of hoping that this battle we will win - together - will help us become stronger and tighter in Missouri. That is...after ASHI cleans house and gets rid of their treacherous leadership.
Old 4/2/07, 1:03 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwagner
Ain't it sad that they no longer have the power to hold us back based on the sheer number of home inspection we have performed?!
And this is a direct result of state licenseing. Licensed with 1 or 1,000 inspections done. All the same, as far as the state is concerned.

Sorry, Jim. I just couldn't resist.

Will Decker, CMI
ILL License # 450.0002240
Board Certified Master Inspector
Decker Home Services, LLC
Chicago and Northern Suburban Home Inspections
Office: (847) 676-8393
Cell: (847) 609-2345
Home: (847) 673-2702

wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com
www.DeckerHomeServices.com

Learn, Educate, Serve and have fun doing it!
Old 4/2/07, 7:11 PM

Well, I have pondered the thoughts shared by some as to how it is not a very nice thing for me to sneak into ASHI's message board and copy posts of interest. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to sneak into ASHI's message board and bring back this post:

(Notice how the new ASHI member asks his fellow members if ASHI is really all that good....and notice how none of them respond to his question. All they can do is attack Nick and NACHI.)

Quote:
Subject: NACHI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see if there is any response or feedback regarding the recent article about NACHI.tv in FREA's magazine (Communicator). In specific, is Nick Gromicko for real and are his statements accurate?

I am mainly regarding the paragraph on the last page at the top of right column. It would be good to know what makes ASHI better than NACHI or any other organizations for that matter. I know that I joined ASHI simply because it was a more rigorous process that represents a more qualified inspector however, the article states the opposite. Is this just rhetoric?

With the resent ASTM issue with NACHI, it may be good to know what ASHI is doing to promote and separate from lesser organizations on a broad scale. New members appear to be popping up all over from other affiliations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: 28 Mar 2007 01:00 PM
Originally Posted: 28 Mar 2007 12:55 PM

email profile
quote reply

Scott Patterson

Total Messages 451

>I would like to see if there is any response or feedback
>regarding the recent article about NACHI.tv in FREA's
>magazine (Communicator). In specific, is Nick Gromicko
>for real and are his statements accurate?
>I am mainly regarding the paragraph on the last page at the
>top of right column. It would be good to know what
>makes ASHI better than NACHI or any other organizations for
>that matter. I know that I joined ASHI simply because
>it was a more rigorous process that represents a more
>qualified inspector however, the article states the
>opposite. Is this just rhetoric?
>With the resent ASTM issue with NACHI, it may be good to
>know what ASHI is doing to promote and separate from lesser
>organizations on a broad scale. New members appear to
>be popping up all over from other affiliations.

Nick is for real. He is a salesman and a good one at that. He found a niche for folks who want instant credentials with little effort. He then marketed it to all that would listen or log on to his site.

NACHI has some good benefits but the bad in my opinion outweigh the good. Take a look at their website and look at the benefits. I would say that about 75% of the listed benefits are available to anyone who is not a member. Many of the items have never happened and were just ideas on a drawing board. My personal favorite was the NACHI NASCAR race car that he was going to sponsor!

The 99.9% renewal rate is bogus, it just can't happen. When he was questioned about this on the NACHI site, Nick made up some story that this was a specific category of the NACHI membership. In other words he was misquoted! Ya, right!

The ASTM thing was started by NAHI, not NACHI.

Scott Patterson
Spring Hill, TN (Nashville)

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 03:22 PM
Originally Posted: 28 Mar 2007 03:21 PM

email profile
quote reply

Gary Randolph

Total Messages 93

Scott, it can happen. FYI, he doesn't LET anyone leave. After my naive start, I never renewed my NACHO membership. I never paid a dime to renew. But, I'm still a member. Don't wannabee, but I am. That's one way to get 99.9% renewal. Clever, huh.

>The 99.9% renewal rate is bogus, it just can't happen.

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 07:21 PM

quote reply

Eric Barker

Total Messages 362

"In specific, is Nick Gromicko for real and are his statements accurate?"

Yes to the first part. If you check around you'll find the answer to the second part - it shouldn't take long. I agree that he's a good salesman, perhaps a great salesman. But I'm not sure that what he's pushing is as great as people are led to believe. If you read that issue and were not familiar with our industry you might come away thinking that NACHI is the cat's pajamas. What's that saying, "If it sounds too good to be true...."

Eric Barker
Barrington, IL

Don't just read the Forum, add your questions and comments, we all benefit!

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 08:11 PM

Last edited by jbushart; 4/2/07 at 7:51 PM..
Old 4/3/07, 5:15 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
I know that I joined ASHI simply because it was a more rigorous process that represents a more qualified inspector however, the article states the opposite. Is this just rhetoric?
Dear Canadate or Associate,

Did you ever consider that ASHI is guilty of rhetoric as well? What is it about the "ASHI process" that is more rigorous? What is there in ASHI's SOP that is superior to NACHI's or any other home inspection organization's? How is one "more qualified" because they pay $325 to a failing organization and passed some Mickey Mouse tests?

Rhetoric? I think someone who gloats they are "more qualified" based on his/her member in an organization (whether it is ASHI, NACHI, NAHI, 123456, ABCDEFG, etc.) is a guilty of rhetoric. Competance, dedication, quality of the inspection report, etc. are REAL qualifications.

Old 4/3/07, 5:20 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Nick is for real. He is a salesman and a good one at that. He found a niche for folks who want instant credentials with little effort. He then marketed it to all that would listen or log on to his site.
Once again ...
What does ASHI require of members that is substantially more compared to NACHI ???

Yup, Nick is a crook because we can obtain our certification without waiting for months of unnecessary bureaucracy to rubber stamp them.

Rhetoric again ???

Old 4/3/07, 5:34 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: ekartal6 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

ASHI inspectors are not better inspectors than NACHI's. Where ASHI has an edge in many parts of the nation for now, is that customers perceive they have better inspectors. To many people the acronym 'ASHI' is synomonous with home inspection. This is NACHI's greatest challenge - not who has an application fee..
Old 4/3/07, 5:42 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
My issue is with our guys continually bashing ASHI and the rest on bulletin boards the public can view. I do not personally believe that bashing and berating our "competition" to others is the way to make us look better is not professional not does it give a perception of us as professionals.
So it is only professional when it is done behind the covers of a closed and censored BB, where there is nobody to defend the other side of the equation? Well, I imagine there are a few NACHI members who participate on that farse of a BB but they side with the populous ...

Make us look better? Who said this is the aim of this BB and this thread in particular? The aim of this free speech, public BB is to share our insight and support to better ourselves. The "bashing and berating" you are speaking of is our unsanitized rebutes to the highly unprofessional conduct of an organization that dishonestly brands itself and its home inspector superior to everyone else. This same organization hides behind closed doors from the consequences of such misconduct but I guess I should have sympathy for them whenever those doors are busted down.

Quote:
When I get shopped for prices, I state what NACHI demands of me as a home inspector and do not compare this to ASHI, NAHI etc.
There is nothing to compare. NACHI, ASHI, NAHI, etc. have almost identical SOP and they require tests that any Dime-A-Dozen can pass. In licensed states, these memberships don't require jack more of a HI compared to the licensing law. I am a proud member of NACHI because of all the tools they provide that make me better home inspector, not because for the canned "credentials". Sell your merits, not your memberships.

Old 4/3/07, 5:44 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekartal6
ASHI inspectors are not better inspectors than NACHI's. Where ASHI has an edge in many parts of the nation for now, is that customers perceive they have better inspectors. To many people the acronym 'ASHI' is synomonous with home inspection. This is NACHI's greatest challenge - not who has an application fee..
Exactly!

Old 4/3/07, 8:49 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: jbreazeale is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I shopped around and joined NACHI because I felt that, with the broad range of experience I possess, it would be punitive to join ASHI and be branded a 'candidate'....as if I knew little and needed to have my hand held by a more seasoned "big brother". Then I visited the NACHI board and saw that there are a whole bunch of big brothers right here, if I need them. The choice was simple.

Our Nick, ladies and gentlemen, is a genius.
Old 4/3/07, 9:56 PM
InterNACHI Member

Send a message via MSN to cbellefontaine

Sorry I haven't been around in a while. I was wondering why my ears were burning.

Guilty as charged, I was the 2006 ASHI Vice President. When I donate my time and knowledge to an association, I try to do my best.

Nick has done a great job getting NACHI listed extremely high on the search engines. I feel it is an associations responsibility to create public notability by as many venues as possible. SE placement has been a long time fight of mine that seemed to fall on deaf ears. I really don't want to get back into the politics of association life. I am going to contribute positively on both boards. I hope nobody will hold that against me.

FWIW, there is only one person who is harming ASHI right now. And it ain't Nick. Nick is just doing a good job for NACHI. If people wish to criticize certain items that Nick tried that didn't work, so be-it. I applaud him for standing up, admitting his mistakes, and moving forward. If ASHI's "Janitor" (I believe that is the right term) was a little more honest, I think they would be better off. Just my two cents. I am sure the beatings will continue until morale improves.

I will not contribute to this thread any longer, but I will always be happy to talk privately to anyone. My number is listed in my signature.

Sincerely,
Charles M. Bellefontaine

Bellman Group, Inc.
877-316-0600 Extension #802
Click Here to Join our Email Newsletter

Get Illinois Home Inspector Pre-License Education and
Continuing Education at www.bellmangroup.com

Low cost professional report writing with a contact
management system. www.myreportwriter.com