How much time for a routine inspection?

I recently got an email from an agent that has started using my services. She stated that I take too long on my inspections. She said she would have to call another inspector if I could not finish the inspection in 2 hours or less. She called me for inspections at least 3 to 4 this last month.

The property she complained about was 2400’, 4+3, raised foundation, with attic. I use inspector pro with an IPhone 6 which works great. I set up my template to save time. I took 3 hours with walk through with clients. Not sure if this is the average time you guys are taking? A high percentage of my inspections are from agents so I explained to her that her request is reasonable and that I would try and speed up the inspection process. Any feed back is much appreciated.

Hi Angel, Most of my inspections take about 2 Hrs, including the walk thru. I also use HIP but I never do the report at the inspection. Most Agents are always in a hurry for some reason. If the client who is paying me wants to talk I stay as long as they want.

1 Like

I’m about the same as Gary, 2 hours is typically enough time and I also do my reports back at the home office with HIP, my report writing time is about 30 mins or less.

I don’t do my report writing onsite as I don’t want to be distracted by entering data into a device. I want my focus to be on the property and the clients only.

So there’s two sides to the coin here. The inspection really takes what it takes. I’ve done 90 min inspections and I’ve done 5+ hour inspections. I do not use mobile reporting because no mater what anyone says, I’m my case, I take longer on site and my report is less detailed. If you’re holding people up because of the extra time it’s taking you to enter info into your gadget, than I’d side with the agent. If you’re taking too long because you’re having to thoroughly investigate a home with multiple problems, then I’d tell that agent she needs to stop selling turds to her clients…

Are you seeing a pattern yet? Do not do reports on site. Get in, inspect, get out! The only one who cares about “on-site” is the inspector!

Described above would take me about 3.5 hours.

I never worry bout what babbling heads think…only Clients, and it has served my business well with constant / steady growth that has never gone backwards.

Same here, probably closer to 3. No complaints.

I get that if its taking me longer to input information into my device than yes, I should get my game up. The way I use HIP is like check list with picture capabilities. It’s the same as carrying a clip board and jotting down notes.

Thanks for the feed back guys! This particular agent is demanding and tough to deal with. From here on out when ever I get a call from this agent I will bump up my price by $100, then I will feel a little be better about improving my times :shock:

Then your client pays because of their dead beat agent…Not me!

I think I recently did an inspection for that same agent. lol.
Some agents just don’t want what’s best for the client.

3 hours for 2400 sq feet with with a crawl is reasonable.

The agent that complains you’re taking too long is going to be the same agent complaining that you missed something because you were in too much of a hurry.

I tell the agent and the client, it’s going to take on an average around 3 hours, it really depends on what I find when I’m there. Sometimes I’m in and out in an hour and a half, sometimes, it’s 3… average is about 2.5 hours, my normal home out here is in the 1500 sq ft range, crawl, and a detached garage or outbuilding… I use HIP on my Droid, mainly to take pictures, and make notes as well… generally the report is about 1/2 written before I get home… I’d tell the realtor to pound sand, they don’t get to dictate how I do my job unless I get to dictate how they do theirs. I’ve said the same exact words to a realator or two, guess what, it made them think, and they STILL call me…

Agreed.

You can only serve one master.

I’ve had a few clients tell me the agents told them about what I should charge, and about how long it should take.

I just respond, “Oh, I really like her/him. They only charge 2% commission, and they usually pay half my fee as a courtesy for you”

That usually makes for an interesting phone call from that RE agent…

One, who wanted to attend my inspection, kept looking at his watch. After an hour, he asked “how much longer?” I said “about 2 hours or so”. He said, “well, I have another appointment, we need to wrap this up quickly.” I said, “well, go ahead an wrap up with your client, and leave. I can lock up. I’ll be here a couple more hours”.

This agent was so impressed how well I treated HIS client, he still refers me time after time.

It takes 1, 2, 3, 4, or maybe 5 hours…

Well said totally agree.

offer to write “not inspected per Ms XXXX, was in a hurry” and ask if you should include her phone number for future problems on items she asked you not to inspect. :slight_smile:

In my area I consider the average house as 2500sf to 3500sf, on basements mostly in the 25 to 45 year age range. The average will take 2 to 3 hrs.

Very seldom do I have an REA hassle me BUT depending on my mood I have different ways of handling it. I might say:

1. I can be fast OR good BUT not both … Which do you want?

2. When I sold real estate on the average it took me about 2.5 hrs to show a client a house; sell them on it; then write the contract … How long does it take you?

3. I get paid by the defect, I’m gonna be here a while.

4. No problem, when 2 hrs is up, I’ll stop and just write in the report that we could not finish because the REA had not scheduled enough time.

5. No kidding … You’ve got inspectors that can do this 3,000sf house in under 2 hrs … I’m impressed because I’ve been doing this for over 35 years and I’m a National Trainer AND in all that time I’ve never met anybody with even a LITTLE bit of competence that could do that and NOT miss a bunch of things that cost our buyer here a bunch of $$$$ down the road. WHO do you use and recommend?

6. When I had my heart bypass, I didn’t ask the surgeon how fast he could do it ALL we wanted to know was how good he could do it.

7. When I took up parachute jumping I didn’t ask the guy packing my chute how fast he could pack one … I just wanted to know how good he was AND if he screwed up much. I’m kinda the same way with inspecting.

Always do that with the buyer listening … Problem usually goes away QUICK.

I average about 2 hours. If I can get there early, It makes the agent feel like it is only an hour and a half. I rock and roll though and have a helper. They do all the input and I finish photos and tweaking off site. Agents are agents and quite honestly, people are people and have strange expectations that are generally tied to their own needs (as do agents). Tell the agent you will lock up and they are welcome to get to their next appointment or to their boat whenever they want. I am respectful to all, but I am all business and don’t play. My folks know the deal. I do what I need to and for how long.

Dan,

I can be fast and good. And if I am taking longer than 2 hours on say, the new build 3300 ft.2 town home that I did the other day that had never been lived in and had no furniture, then I am either screwing around or belong on a state road crew. There are applications when you can move and be done in 2 hours or less and get it right. Have a great system, stay in it, be efficient, be thorough, be professional…succeed!

Everything depends on what you inspect and whether you add that information to your report or not.

Do you inspect appliances? Do you inspect cabinets? Do you inspect every plug, switch, receptacle? Do you inspect every door and window? Do you inspect every faucet, toilet, bathtub, shower and take moisture readings at the floors in those wet areas? Do you open every panel? Do you enter every attic? Every crawlspace? Walk every roof? Do you report on anything that can affect the property or safety of your client like vegetation, drainage, water features or decks that don’t meet the most modern standards?

Time is relative. You can do a quick inspection and leave everything that isn’t SOP required off your inspection protocol and report, or you can do a more in depth inspection and include a lot more information on the home your clients are buying.

It is YOUR business. Run YOUR business how YOU want. Don’t waste time looking up your competitors or spend time worrying about what they do.

Exactly! The inspection takes as long as it takes to perform a thorough job!