Tis the Season for more doughnuts.

Anyone up for another challenge? Guess both the issue and extrapolate the resulting(but unseen in this photo) problem. This is a panorama of about 90% the roof of a 3500 sq. ft., 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath ranch home. The gable portion at the top right of center in the photo is the garage.

$20 for Dunkin Donuts for the winner. :grin:

Previous winners are ineligible due to their obvious deduction skills. :wink:

Here’s the same photo split in two to give a bit more detail, though it may not be needed.

I’m thinking its a reroof. The flue didn’t get flashed properly and they cut the plumbing stacks and shingled over them?? Leaking around flue in attic? Idk what the thing in the middle is for (ventilation) but from the photos it doesn’t looked flashed properly either. Leak stains around if?

Hmm, not sure here, but up this way I never see a ridge vent in any ridge other that the highest one, the lower peaks typically just have a gable end vent or even no vent.

Is it possible that we could get water penetration in heavy rains or even snow (if you get snow in VA) in the lower ridge vents? They are vented close to the main roof area?

more of a wild guess, if venting is incorrect (I’m not so sure it even is) can it disrupt proper attic venting and cause the home to build up moisture upstairs (attic, i guess).

Lack of ventilation for the ceiling space - thus a short life roof system

Chimney not high enough, and the little porch roof not properly attached .

The shingle cut should have been a California cut to prevent water from entering between shingles on lower portion of the roof and the ridge vents on the lower portion are close enough to the upper roof that water (from show accumulation) can possibly enter the end cap.

Flue stack is a little short,but ridge vent is to close to adjoining roof . Not sure but ridge cap shingles look to be on backwards.

I was thinking the same thing, plus the probable roof penetrations at the patio roof structure, plus the large trees in contact with the structure & all the implications that go along with that.

One of two problems.

Either there is severe stress bowing of the roof rafters in the attic, or your camera lens is broken.

Presenting a picture like that can be confusing to any client.

no waste vent.

Cam what the heck. What is the answer?

Is that deck curved?

If so the shingles aren’t designed to be installed in that manner and may come loose with time.

The furnace/water heater vent flashing is installed 180* out.
Tree branches are in contact with the roof surface.
Unable to see if the shingles are properly staggered.
Unable to see the flashings on the cupola.

I am curious to see the structure underneath.

I think you had the fish-eye lens on… :shock:

Wide angle lens distortion.

He said it was panorama

Well, either no one has it right or Cameron went on vacation.

No plumbing vents?

Are the ridge vents installed upside down?

Is it something that caused mold in the attic?

Well, just to bump this thread and to remind you all, the winner has to have BOTH the issue and a result (it will be obvious with the correct issue). I can’t name a winner yet based on what you’ve all posted, but I will say there are plenty of hints in the OP. If no one can give me both I will give it to the first one with only the correct issue later tonight. Some of you should already be tasting them doughnuts. :smiley:

As I said in the OP the picture is a panorama-I use it to record the layout and furnishing for my own records-so it does have a fisheye look to it. Any issue guessed based on the “curve” of the photos would be wrong. :frowning:

No vent stacks and moisture and mold everywhere