Too Many Inspectors - Hard To Get Started

Difficulties for inexperienced home inspectors

Marketing services to Realtors helps overcome obstacles

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Dear Barry,

Your column often advises people to find the most experienced home inspector possible. That’s all well and good, except for those of us who are just starting out. How do we get the experience we need if no one will hire us because of lack of experience. Most home inspection companies are one-man operations, with no need to hire another inspector. So there’s little opportunity to gain experience as employees of another company. Because of this, I’ve dropped out of the business. Whenever people asked how long I had been inspecting, I had to be honest, and then they wouldn’t hire me. Additionally, unless you’ve performed many home inspections, you cannot obtain full membership in a recognized home inspection association, and candidate memberships don’t encourage business. How can new home inspectors overcome this entry-level impasse? --Gary

Dear Gary,

All home inspectors start out with little or no experience and without full memberships in professional associations. At first, business is slow, as with most business start-ups. A few jobs might be lost when people ask how may homes you’ve inspected, but the fact is, most people never ask this question.

To generate increased business, a new inspector must continually market his or her services to Realtors. Most agents will not respond, but a few will. And if they’re happy with your services, they’ll call again. Many agents actually prefer new inspectors, rather than ones who are experienced. These are often not the most ethical agents, but they do provide new inspectors with the opportunity to become experienced.

Little by little, experience is gained, and home inspection skills are refined. Most home inspectors started out in this manner, the only exceptions being those who entered the profession as employees of larger companies. But as you’ve learned, that avenue is not available to many.

A large part of the problem is that the real estate marketplace, in recent years, has become saturated with an overabundance of new home inspectors. Home inspection schools have become a burgeoning business, pumping out more fledgling inspectors than are currently needed, and many retiring contractors are viewing home inspection as a part-time career. Consequently, many new inspectors are encountering the same obstacles that frustrated your attempts to establish a business foothold.

The problem of gaining initial experience poses a serious challenge, but as difficult as it may appear, there are those who eventually overcome the resistance. As with success in most fields, perseverance and determination are essential.

http://www.mortgage101.com/partner-scripts/inman.asp?ID=60285

John,

I just read the article and it has so much truth to it. The secret to build any business is perseverance! Keep on Marketing to everyone and anyone! Mostly to the Real Estate World but also to everyone you meet! I try to pass out 4-5 cards a day to anyone I see who does not know about me! I am also placing flyers in places of business. Newspaper does not pay off anymore. Phone books are good but expensive!
Everyone says TV is not the way to market but I am thinking of trying it. You see something Once you ignore it, 5 times you pay attention to it, 10 times you think about it, if you see something 20-30 you remember it. With TV you have to figure away of getting a message out there and it will take MONEY! We as Home Inspectors need to take the control away from the Real Estate Salespeople. Yes referrals are good for people established or do the inspections for the salespeople. But not for the new person or a thorough inspector.

Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Fzhv8iQYM

Good videos James… thanks.

[QUOTE]
A large part of the problem is that the real estate marketplace, in recent years, has become saturated with an overabundance of new home inspectors. Home inspection schools have become a burgeoning business, pumping out more fledgling inspectors than are currently needed, and many retiring contractors are viewing home inspection as a part-time career. Consequently, many new inspectors are encountering the same obstacles that frustrated your attempts to establish a business foothold.
Your statement says it all. I did a Internet survey a few weeks ago and found 315 inspectors in a 50 mile radius of me here in the Bay area. It does get discouraging but I"m not giving up. I believe I provide a excellent service and will just keep on Marketing. Just keep putting your name out there and keep trying to improve your self and your product it will pay off.

The video was interesting. I thought it odd that the news crew would actually support their hired inspector by giving his website. They gave the info as if they were helping their viewers, but it went straight to his website.

Talk about free advertising.

Bruce