U.S. Housing Decline Threatens to Last Into 2009

U.S. Housing Decline Threatens to Last Into 2009

By John F. Wasik

Oct. 22 (Bloomberg) – Ivy Zelman’s view of the U.S. housing market is gloomy, but it’s probably the most realistic.

A veteran Wall Street analyst, Zelman, chief executive of the research firm Zelman & Associates, says it’s unlikely the U.S. housing market will recover before 2009, adding there’s a ``50 to 60 percent chance of a recession,’’ as the housing slump curbs consumer spending.

Zelman paints a much darker picture than Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, who said last week that housing will be a ``significant drag’’ on the economy into next year.

When you consider the huge home inventories and tight-as-a- drum mortgage restrictions, it’s easy to conclude that the housing slump could extend well past 2008. Unless financing loosens up and buyers return, her prophecy will become a reality.

I've never seen the market as bad as this,'' Zelman said.And it could get worse. The home-price decline could range from 16 percent to 22 percent.’’

Monitoring inventory, builder incentives and demand, Zelman is also watching adjustable-rate mortgage resets. Homeowners with these loans will automatically face higher monthly payments that they may not be able to afford, another trigger for foreclosures or sales. Some $500 billion of these loans will re- adjust through 2008, Zelman says.

While foreclosures have declined somewhat from August to September, they still doubled from a year ago, according to RealtyTrac Inc., which monitors the housing market. Since more homes are coming on the market, Zelman says that will only add to the misery.

`Worst Inventories’

``These are the worst inventories we’ve seen as a nation,’’ she says. Zelman originally presented her report Oct. 10 to the Home Improvement Research Institute, a Tampa, Florida-based trade group.

Zelman’s words carry some weight because she was one of the few major Wall Street analysts to warn of a housing decline months before it began late last year.

She was alarmed that home prices far outpaced personal- income increases during the boom, which is how the economic disconnect began. A bubble created artificially high demand that had to deflate sometime. Now economists and analysts are trying to assess the collateral damage of the bust and subprime mortgage meltdown.

Meanwhile, builders are stuck with thousands of new homes they can’t sell and potential buyers are canceling in droves or are unable to get a mortgage. Housing starts fell to a 14-year low in September.

Mass Psychology

Builders are desperate now and blowing through inventory,'' says Zelman of homebuilders who are doing anything they can to sell homes.Their revenues are shrinking so fast, they can’t keep up.’’

The mass psychology that amplifies and spreads the angst of home sellers will put a brake on overall consumer spending, Zelman predicts.

``Some 74 percent of consumer expenditures are correlated to housing. I don’t think the consumer will hold up. They will cut back on things like buying cars and vacations.’’

While Zelman forecasts that sales will drop for the next two years, she isn’t as optimistic on home prices, which she says may continue falling until 2010 or 2011.

``We’d be better off if prices corrected all at once. It will get worse before it gets better.’’

Places where sales were strongest and speculators were most active before the bust will be bedeviled by high home inventories for more than a year.

Low Grades

Cities that scored lowest with an F minus'' grade, described asvery competitive with a negative bias’’ in her firm’s September homebuilding survey, included San Diego, Phoenix, Inland Empire (California), and Fort Myers, Florida. Those rated moderate and stable'' -- aC’’ in their rankings – were Philadelphia; Raleigh, North Carolina; and San Antonio.

Areas connected to auto-related job cuts in Michigan and Ohio will continue to feel pain.

Not every market will get pummeled, though. Manhattan seems to be holding up for certain kinds of housing. Prices of co-op apartments with four bedrooms or more, for example, rose 19 percent in the third quarter from a year earlier.

Major markets with the lowest level of housing distress include Bethesda, Maryland; Boston-Cambridge, Massachusetts; and Manchester and Rockingham, New Hampshire. That’s according to HomeSmartReports, a service that tracks six variables of home- market risk.

Boston Risk

Boston is pretty moderate in terms of risk,'' says Mike Ela, president of the service.Lenders have pulled back aggressively.’’

Don’t expect to land properties at bargain-basement prices. One assumption is that the best values will be in areas glutted with properties. Yet many sellers will be holding out for prices that they saw at the peak of the boom. Motivated property owners, though, may be willing to deal.

If you are buying a second home or investment properties, keep in mind that your credit record should be up-to-date. You may also find it easier dealing with institutions that sell ``real-estate-owned’’ homes, or properties that went into foreclosure.

Ela, who has low-ball offers'' pending on two bank-owned properties, prefers dealing with institutionsbecause you’re not dealing with the emotion of the seller. It won’t take too long to get a decision.’’

Because lending standards have tightened, if there are any errors on your credit report that show missed payments or outstanding balances, you should get them corrected. Don’t open any new lines you won’t use and pay your bills on time. These variables will affect your score and may disqualify you from obtaining financing.

Keep in mind that job growth and consumer spending bear close scrutiny. If Zelman is right about a recession coming, then prices may fall more, plunging the housing market into an even sorrier state.

To contact the writer of this column: John F. Wasik in Chicago at jwasik@bloomberg.net .

Last Updated: October 22, 2007 00:15 EDT

Just received a red box for this post from a some tin-horn home inspector who is afraid they won’t be able to get their old job back at Mickey D’s when their home inspection business fails and who is far too chicken and full of $hit to reveal their real name.

Please do us all a favor and pluck out your friggin’ eyes with your Leatherman so you won’t have to read posts like this anymore.

PS If you receive flowers… it won’t be from me a$$hole. :smiley:

What makes you think he can afford a “Leatherman” Joe, he has probably got a Chinese “Pleatherman”

Joe

That is ashame,you provide info and then you get $hit on. I can’t believe it. I will give you green the minute that I can Joe it will more than make up for the red!
I will probably receive red from the same a$$hole just for posting here.

It is sad to see the US housing market like this. I know it affects quite a few people. I hope that the experts are wrong and this turns itself around soon!!
</IMG>

Joe,
Thanks for the information. I tried to give you a green but it told me I had to spread it around. The a$$ that gave you a red spreads the wrong thing around!

Sorry for being an infrequent poster, but what is a red and green?

If you click on the “star” over each post, you will be given an option
to approve or disapprove that persons post. It will show up as
a green (approval) box or a red (disapproval) box.

The boxes over your post show your rating as you gain
more green or red points. The system can be turned off if
you do not want it to show up over your postings.

I am going to give you a green box right now. Look at your
control panel and you will see my comment with it.

Good luck and glad to have you with us in the NACHI family.