Is anyone using a drone model that they really like and recommend?

And what do you like about it?

Phantom vision 2
great pictures
easy to control
dependable
Waiting to see what the government is going to allow grounded till then well sort of grounded lol

I use a phantom. I would add that it keeps me safe and allows me to get photos of a roof and chimney that are simply too high and dangerous to climb. I use the spectroscope as well. But the drone goes much higher when I am need of that. You have to be super careful with them and time and place variables are important. I try to never use one with clients or realtors around as they become like children and don’t listen to or follow safety requests.

Lucky you are if you can use a drone in residential aeras: recently, a canadian inspector or contractor (can’t remember), recieved a 1000$ tickets (contravention). It’s a kind of “hiden law”. Well I think the guy paid a lot and can’t use it for the while.

DJI Phantom FC40 with a GoPro black camera

Hi Glenn, I have the same model Phantom FC40. How much of an improvement was it upgrading to the GoPro over the camera that came with it? Thanks.

Actually he was taking photos of home, for real estate agent. He had homeowner and real-estate agent permission.

Rules are fairly clear… but depends upon if commercial or personal… and weight of drone/UAV.

If your aircraft:

Weighs 35 kg or more, you need to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate before you can use it.

Weighs less than 35 kg and is used for recreational purposes, you don’t need permission to fly.

Unmanned aircraft that weigh less than 25 kg may qualify for an exemption to the rules, which will allow you to fly without permission.

If your aircraft:

Weighs 2 kg or less and you can meet the safety conditions in the Transport Canada exemption for UAVs that weigh less than 2 kg or less, you don’t need to request permission to fly.

Weighs between 2.1 kg and 25 kg and you can meet the safety conditions in the Transport Canada exemption for UAVs that weigh between 2.1 kg and 25 kg, you don’t need to request permission to fly. However, you must notify Transport Canada.

Transport Canada expects you to follow these basic Do’s and Don’ts.

Do

• Only fly your aircraft during daylight and in good weather (not in clouds or fog).
  • Always keep your aircraft in sight, where you can see it with your own eyes – not only through an on-board camera, monitor or smartphone.
  • Make sure your aircraft is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself, for example, are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?
  • Know if you need permission to fly and when to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate
  • Respect the privacy of others – avoid flying over private property or taking photos or videos without permission.

Don’t fly:

• Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport, or aerodrome.
  • Higher than 90 metres from above the ground.
  • Closer than 150 metres from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.
  • In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows.
  • Near moving vehicles, avoid highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.
  • Within restricted airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires.
  • Anywhere you may interfere with first responders

My wife picked up a Phantom 2 Vision for me at Christmas… have not used yet on any job. Have been debating if I should take back and get the plus version.

I wouldn’t.

The Plus model has a different camera/mount. The 3-axis gimbal system on the plus allows more camera movement. It is also the weak link in that model, as it’s more fragile.

For what we do, the Phantom 2 Vision takes very good pictures and video.

Dom.

DJI Phantom 2 with GoPro 4 and Zenmuse H3-3D 3-axis gimbal. It is a stable platform with a really good camera that can be removed and used for other purposes(pole camera). It is relatively easy to learn to fly.

Thanks lot to Robin Wells! I could not hope more than what he gaves! I make screen shot of this law. :slight_smile:

Here in the states, you may be fined for using a drone for commercial purposes. if you get paid for taking pictures with a drone, you may need FFA license and certifications. You can only fly a drone under 400 feet, and within visual range of the controller (person operating it). Many rules are not set in stone yet, but will be soon. If you get paid for a home inspection, and you use pictures from a drone, well,…

How many home inspectors using drones during a home inspection have been cited by the FAA???

Rules and laws are only for honest people. No one, yet.

Thanks… unpacking and playing with tonight… well as much as I can inside. :slight_smile:

I also sent PM the rules for exemption… had to put link in it as was around 12,000 characters… too much to put in public post!

I just purchased a DJI phantom vision in December. I try to walk the roof whenever possible. But some are just too steep. I have used it on one inspection so far. It’s easy to maneuver and take pics using your smartphone and app. The 14 megapixel camera allows you to stay far enough away from the roof and still have a sharp picture after cropping.

Any sample pictures?

Does anyone have pics or videos of their drone in use. I’m in the market to purchase…