Why the CMI Designation Will Fail

CMI was introduced as a means of raising fees, which have been held at a relatively low level for several years.

This designation was to be the means for an inspector to develop and market, for a higher fee, his higher levels of learning and experience.

It’s not happening.

Instead, CMIs are envisioning themselves as “helpers” for the “newer” inspectors while they use their designation to compete against others for $275 inspections.

This leaves others with no choice but to point out the weaknesses of the CMI program and the truth that CMIs are not better inspectors than non-CMIs.

I would prefer to see this designation start to move back toward its original objective and get the fee schedule moving upwards and spend less time “helping” us.
Or else…

Incase you missed it on the other thread The COE letter 2-a Sayes it best and nothing about fees

[LIST]2. Duty to the Profession and to other Certified Master Inspectors[FONT=‘Times New Roman’]® [/FONT]

[/LIST] [INDENT] [INDENT] a. The Certified Master Inspector[FONT=‘Times New Roman’]® will strive to improve the Inspection Industry by sharing his/her lessons and/or experiences for the benefit of all. This does not preclude the Certified Master Inspector® from copyrighting or marketing his/her expertise to other inspectors or the public in any manner permitted by law. [/FONT]
b. The Certified Master Inspector[FONT=‘Times New Roman’]® shall assist in disseminating and publicizing the benefits of hiring Certified Master Inspectors®. [/FONT]
c. The Certified Master Inspector[FONT=‘Times New Roman’]® will not engage in any act or practice that could be deemed damaging, seditious or destructive to fellow Certified Master Inspectors®.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Verdana, Sans Serif]d. The Certified Master Inspector[FONT=‘Times New Roman’]® [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Verdana, Sans Serif]will dress professionally when acting in the capacity of his/her profession.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/INDENT][/INDENT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Verdana, Sans Serif][FONT=‘Times New Roman’][/FONT][/FONT]

Jim if that happens all who signed up from the very 1st. with the lowest requirement to become a CMI, to the last with the most requirments that had to be obtained will lose all their money and who wins?

I don’t understand your question, Larry.

The designation was created for the purpose of raising fees. Period. No other reason.

When CMIs raise their fees, other inspectors raise theirs…and so on…and so on. By this, we all win.

If CMIs create this designation to do nothing more than dupe the public into thinking they will get more bang for the buck at $275 to $350 - we all lose.

What is your question?

Is any home inspector less qualified to inspect a home than a CMI? Of course not.

I am not a CMI and my basic fee is $350. A CMI will use the same SOP and write the same report that I will. The idea is that he will charge more for his level of skill and expertise.

Do they plan to beat me out for the $350 inspection because of their designation? If so, they leave me with no other choice than to use my communication skills to educate the public that they are NOT more qualified…and why they are not more qualified.

With the thousands of us who are NOT CMIs educating the public in this regard, the designation has no chance of catching on. It is easy to sabotage its growth in any market. I would not want to do that if they were raising fees…but I will totally destroy it if it is being touted as a “standard”.

They seem to be doing inspections for less than $275.00 in AZ and MO according to the prices listed on websites for the individuals in these two states just as an example.

I better stick with Commercial Master Inspector for now Jim…:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

…and they want to help us.

Help us what?

I guess we should ALL be CMIs doing $275 (or less) inspections? Jeez.

I gave you a “Greenie” too Jim…!!!

I didn’t understand what you were referring to when you said it was designed to raise prices. I thought you meant to increase the annual due of NACHI.

Sorry for not making that more clear, Larry.

We can all benefit from the fee increase, which is (was) behind my support for the CMI program. I have been told that this is not the case.

Now, all we have are equally qualified inspectors purchasing initials to put next to their names to appear more qualified than us to inspect a house. This is nuts.

ROTFLMAO :smiley:

Well Duhhhh! :smiley:

If you can’t make money off it why purchase it. Sooner or later someone will take one of them to court and it will be very expense to try to explain it was just to generate more business and not that they are any more qualified.

I am sure that you would like to see your fee schedule go up, Jim. But just getting a CMI designation won’t do it all by itself. Are you a CMI, Jim?

Do you go out of your way to help and serve your clients, your fellow inspectors and the industry?

Masters are deemed masters well before some simple “Certification Board” says they are.

When I was studying martial arts, I learned that one does not call themself a “master”, one waits until others start calling them “master”.

All I see you do (and I may be wrong. I don;t live in your area and have not seen your work) is to spout off on this board about licensing and attempt to play the great ethics guru.

Maybe is you helped out a few other people, you would see it differently.

The learning is in the doing and the serving.

Hope this helps;

If James raises his prices more he will have even more time to post. ;-):stuck_out_tongue:

Yep.

You have to admit. That’s a lot to start your prices at in the St.Louis area.

All -

A CMI might not be any better of an inspector than someone who is not - but he or she has chosen to obtain the designation

That is what it is - just like someone that has a CDL (commercial drivers license) does not make them a good driver

Lets not try to take someone to court because someone thinks that a CMI is something that they are not.

Remember - the CMI that you take to court might just clean your clock

And yes most of us will charge more for an inspection - we probably would be doing so even if the CMI program did not exist

Business is business

rlb

It is, if you want referrals from real estate salespeople. I don’t solicit them for leads.

When I said someone will sooner or later take a CMI to court. I mean’t that with that designation they don’t expect you to miss anything, recalls, etc. and no one can walk on the top of the water that I know of.

Correct.

The intention was for them to use that designation to increase their fees. Instead, they are using that designation to dupe the public into thinking they are more qualified to do an inspection at your price…than you are.

This was not the original intent and has somehow morphed into their present way of doing business.

I think it is unacceptable and should be nipped in the bud before these guys get too far with it.