ASHI Legislation in Wa. State

HELP!!!:shock:

There is a 6-18 month period we have to work with on this to defeat it thank goodness, so if anyone can help me on this I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.realestate.com/special-offers/inspectors.asp

In addition, SB 6229 states that “the board must review the standards of practice and code of ethics of the American society of home inspectors and incorporate into the training course any portions that are determined by the board to be applicable.” The board must also look to the American society of home inspectors when it sets the criteria for continuing education courses.

Last week at a WSU WDO class the Wa. Dept of Ag representative told me that “they” were working with representatives from the Home Inspection Industry to develop the licensing requirements for the State…I asked him who these HI Representatives were and what organizations they represented and if there were any from any other organization other than ASHI, he refused to answer just stating that anyone could be heard and provide input into the decision making process. Then I asked him why the Department of Agriculture was involved in the licensing requirements of Home Inspectors, he gave me the WDO song.

The only answer he had for why Home Inspectors were required to have Structural Pest Inspectors licenses was that it was “The Law”, I asked him if in his concern for enforcing the Law if he checked Green Cards of all the “immigrant workers” at the farms and Orchards he visited while performing his duties, and if he had ever turned a Washington State Employer in for hiring Illegal Immigrants…his reply was that the “Immigrant Worker” issue was an important Economic Issue for the “Communities”…so I guess, like in many Washington Laws interpreted by petty Bureaucrats, the Department of Ag uses “Money” as the determining factor of enforcement.

A few years back, the Florida Department of Agriculture was asked to sponsor a bill. DACS does WDO, Home Inspectors have been called insects before but I do not believe DACS in WA should handle HI legislation.

Contact Patrick Sisler. He is your NW State Legislation Committee Member.

Thank you Lewis and Jay. :slight_smile:

What is the link to usinspect (above) for? I saw nothing on there pertaining to this discussion.

It isn’t directly related and that is my fault.

Here is my point:

RealEstate.com has partnered with US Inspect, America’s Leading Home Inspection Company, to help you find your next home”

"Is the Inspector Licensed or Certified?](http://www.nachi.org/forum/)
Not all states require home inspectors to be licensed. However, in those states that do require licensing, our inspectors are licensed. All of our employee-inspectors are ASHI Members or Candidates, or are in the testing process of getting ASHI membership. Many of our inspectors are also trained and licensed to perform radon and termite inspections in their operating areas… "

{RealEstate.com shall not be responsible or liable for any products or services obtained by or through this third party web site. There is no endorsement by RealEstate.com of US Inspect or the products and services made available on this or any other third party site.}

However they state above that they have partnered with US Inspect who ONLY uses ASHI inspectors.

How is that NOT endorsing US Inspect AND ASHI alone?

http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2005-06/htm/Bills/Senate%20Bills/6229.htm

(3) In development of the training course, the board must review the standards of practice and code of ethics of the American society of home inspectors and incorporate into the training course any portions that are determined by the board to be applicable.

(a) Set criteria for the course content, which must include review of any provisions of the standards of practice and code of ethics of the American society of home inspectors that the board determines to be applicable;

Similar to how the law got passed here in AZ. Once passed and in place it is hard to change.

Good Luck

Exactly my point.

You have a funny way of making your point.:wink:

Me?!

Touche’:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

NEW SECTION. **Sec. 5 ** (1) The board must prepare a written training course to be administered to applicants for a certificate of registration. The training course must be constructed to determine whether the applicant:
(a) Possesses general knowledge of the technical information and practical procedures that are necessary for home inspection; and
(b) Is familiar with the local government regulations as related to home inspections.
(2) In development of the training course, the board must require at a minimum the following:
(a) One hundred sixty hours of training;
(b) A combination of classroom education and field training, where seventy-five percent of the applicant’s time is spent in classroom education and twenty-five percent in field training.
(3) In development of the training course, the board must review the standards of practice and code of ethics of the American society of home inspectors and incorporate into the training course any portions that are determined by the board to be applicable.
(4) The board must develop and implement procedures for approving training courses offered by an entity other than the board. Only board-approved training courses meet the requirements of this section.
(5) An applicant must successfully complete a written training course that meets the requirements of this section and that is either offered or approved by the board in order for the applicant to be eligible for a certificate of registration with the department as a home inspector.

NEW SECTION. **Sec. 27 ** This act takes effect July 1, 2006.

Section 5- I have plenty of training time. But that didn’t include 25% in the field. Does this mean (if you don’t have 250 inspections) you would have to enroll in one of their approved programs? Or is section 5-5 saying if you pass their written course you get certified?
I don’t have a problem with having to take a test (written and practical), in fact I think it’s good for our industry to have some standards.
I do have a problem with 1 organization crafting legislation geared towards protectionism. I’m sick and tired of corporations and other special interests writing their own legislation and getting it passed based on campaign contributions… But that’s a whole different subject…don’t get me started!

Sec. 27- Is this thing going in to effect July 1?

Thanks for passing this on Wendy. Where can I get more info?

No, it’s been tabled while waiting for review from Labor, Commerce, Research & Development.

Washington State fortunately has something called a Sunrise Law that requires anyone asking to implement new licensing requirements, to go through an industry review first. That is what saved us here as far as I can tell, because it gives us time to work on this.

You are welcome James!

http://www.multistate.com/YPPA.nsf/0/3763feb4b666fb3c852570f90079dbe8?OpenDocument

Section 5- I have plenty of training time. But that didn’t include 25% in the field. Does this mean (if you don’t have 250 inspections) you would have to enroll in one of their approved programs? Or is section 5-5 saying if you pass their written course you get certified?

Does anyone know the answer to the question above?

I would recommend your Legislature James, or follow Wendy’s’ link to US Inspect.

:roll:

I love US Inspect:roll:

I suppose if my kids weren’t trying to completely and utterly ruin my day, I might get the joke. But I guess they are and I don’t.