Building code changes

I am trying to find out is if a code is not present in a following years code does that mean the code no longer applies? If so it would mean there is no longer any code requirement on dryer vents. Some items are always a problem, clothes dryer vents, appliance connectors on water heaters, wavy roofs and moisture in a crawlspace. These led to disagreements between inspectors, clients, utility companies and codes departments. I have been through a couple of these!

In other words if a code is omitted does the requirement go away?

it’s ok to have an opinion regardless of code
you have a better or best practice technique/mfr. requirement for an installation; advise client of such
have ammo to back up your opinion

changes & omissions from the code do not excuse poor installations or ignoring best practices

I agree Barry, John, for that (among other reasons) I try not to quote “code” in my inspections, and recommend you consider the same.

I would think the minute you start quoting code and happen to be wrong you have put yourself into a corner for a lawyer to tear you apart

I don’t quote codes but I do consult with them when I have a question. Its a good idea to know what you are talking about when you make suggestions. If you don’t someone will likely look up the answer for you. I have my local codes department on speed dial. The more you know the less likely you will make a mistake.

John …

Lets say that in 1937, code required 10’ overhead clearance for electrical wires at point of entry to a house. Today they do the same 10’.

In what year OR years was 8’ acceptable?

I’ve been code certified by BOCA, ICBO and now ICC and as BArry said I don’t quote code but typically use words like “common safety practices”, “common building standards”, a “better building practice”, etc. Doing so its damn hard for someone to contradict MY OPINION.

"Standard recommendation is…

“consult manufacturer’s installation instructions and recommendations for proper appliance or home item placement…”

Thanks for the info and advice but my question is do codes carry forward automatically? if not included in future codes.

Dan I would guess unless a code is specifically written to be enforced on existing homes not just new construction all the 10’ wires would be ok until they are upgraded for some reason.

I spent 26 years as a USG warranted contracting officer and there is usually a statement in revised or new rules (codes) stating that unless otherwise mentioned, past codes remain in place unless specifically removed.

No, they do not.

Codes change, and codes are discontinued. However, many items are addressed by manufacturers requirements, which override codes in most instances.

For instance, previous CA Plumbing & Mechanical Codes limited appliance connectors to a maximum of 3 feet (with exception for certain appliances). That “code” now limits connectors to “as short as practical,” so the 3 foot rule no longer applies. So even if the connector was installed improperly “at the time of construction,” it is no longer considered improper by current standards if it complies with the current standards.

Mr. Pope,

Ok great! I didn’t think they would…

My favorite example is dryer ducts. Metal, plastic, PVC, flexible, rigid with or without screws. The latest code does not appear to address the dryer ducting in a crawlspace (or I cant find it) issue. I checked with my dryer instructions and it does not address the exhaust duct in the crawlspace neither does the instructions for a new exhaust vent. You mention the plastic duct in the crawlspace on an inspection and a contractor calls you up and says it is ok according to code, what do you say? What is the basis of your reply?

John

I don’t have the code in front of me (I’m getting ready to begin an inspection), but vinyl ducts are not listed or approved for use in concealed locations, and are generally only approved as “connectors” from the appliance to the actual duct.

[quote=“jchick, post:11, topic:83676”]

Mr. Pope,

Ok great! I didn’t think they would…

My favorite example is dryer ducts. Metal, plastic, PVC, flexible, rigid with or without screws. The latest code does not appear to address the dryer ducting in a crawlspace (or I cant find it) issue. I checked with my dryer instructions and it does not address the exhaust duct in the crawlspace neither does the instructions for a new exhaust vent. You mention the plastic duct in the crawlspace on an inspection and a contractor calls you up and says it is ok according to code, what do you say? What is the basis of your reply?
John,

I am not certain what code cycle you guys have adopted in Tenn. In Florida we are on the 2009 version of the IRC which is the Florida 2010 Building code.
From IRC. 2009 Chapter 15
Dryer exhaust ducts shall have a smooth interior finish and shall be constructed of metal a minimum 0.016 inch thick. The exhaust duct size shall be 4 inches nominal in diameter.
Ducts shall not be joined with screws or other similar fasteners that protrude into the inside of the duct
Ducts shall be supported at 4 foot intervals and secured in place.
There is quite a bit more in the code section, but I think that covers what you were looking for

It will seem strange but different counties here have adopted different year codes. The county I live in uses ICC 2003 Building Code and Residential Code but are in the process of going to 2012. Yesterday’s inspection in a different county was using 2010 codes. But then again it depends on when the building was built and what codes were in use at the time. I work in several counties, there can be quite a bit of difference from one to another. Some neighborhoods and developments apply different codes. Knowing where you are is important. I do get customers with very specific questions and call my favorite codes person when necessary. But most important even though there is no mention of codes in my inspections and I avoid bringing them up, it doesn’t stop some customers from asking code inspectors.

John

According to Standards today has always been my statement. The word Code never enters my reports. Let them ask the Code Inspector as they will give them the minimum requirement. You don’t Inspect Homes to find the minimum requirement ever no matter what age the Home is. You should be sure however not to be below the codes of that day and not catch it. Your research into what was acceptable is just as important at the era of the Home but your concern is whenever possible to offer advice as to what is a standard today.

While codes certainly play a part in most cases the manufacturers specification usually turn out to be more important. I don’t know of any dryer manufacturers who don not clearly state their venting requirements