Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors

Notices

Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors Use this forum to discuss current and proposed legislation on home inspector licensing, and other legal issues affecting home inspectors. Inspectors from all associations welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6/21/13, 11:42 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: cancel during an inspection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller View Post
Never left an inspection after starting, despite the overwhelming sense that I should. You do run into people with unrealistic expectations. I had one recently where the buyer's dad attended the inspection and he was making a lot of mountains out of molehills. Sometimes I think buyers overstate or embellish their concerns to posture for negotiating a lower price with the seller. Then there are those who clearly do not know what they are talking about, but really think they do. It does make you want to pack up your stuff and walk away. I just document everything about the conditions of the home. I make sure my report and photos accurately detail the concerns. And try my best to educate the buyer, and/ or their excited family member, and most times it works out OK. Usually by the end of the inspection they are less excited and more willing to listen.
Just once Great client but Dad was supplying the money .
Great home for the client but dad left and they followed .
The agent was there and he said you did well to remain cool.
This dad has been like this in town forever .
We are both better of with out this sale.
Need a home inspection in Texas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Texas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/21/13, 2:02 PM
Certified Master Inspector

In 10 years I've walked away from two, both thankfully prior to them signing the contract.

One was with a Realtor that had both sides of the sale who was working with a non-licensed contractor trying to fleece a 1st time buyer. The other was a buyer who had a design build contractor that constructed the home using the wrong plans. I told them both to use the money they were going to pay me on a lawyer.

Yes, I'd personally choose a CMI every time over every other inspector. ~ Nick Gromicko, InterNACHI Founder

Certified Master Inspector - 2010
Florida Licensed Home Inspector - HI176
Florida Licensed Mold Assessor - MRSA208

Square-One Inspection "Assurance begins here"

Old 6/21/13, 4:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jkeilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthornberry View Post
Agreed.

My concern with just walking away is that at that point, beyond significant reputation problems as Stanczyk points out, you and the client have an agreement together to do an inspection.

Walking away would essentially be violating those terms IMO.
My agreements do not have the date of the inspection on them, only the date the agreement was signed, thus if this ever happened to me (which it has not yet) I would not break the agreement, just delay the inspection for say 1, 2 3 or however many years,..

Jim

"We Respect Our Clients Right To Privacy"

Jim Keilson Certified Master Inspector

MarylandHomeInspectionServices.com

www.MarylandRadonTesting.org

Specializing in All Air Quality
Mold and Radon Gas Testing

State of Maryland License# 31141
Virginia Certification#3380 000468
InterNACHI ID: NACHI10101807
(IAC2). Certification # IAC2-02-0919
Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Old 6/21/13, 5:12 PM

Quote:
The cost of a home inspection is based upon the age and square footage of the home and is subject to correction. Cost under this agreement are for inspection only, participation in any legal proceedings shall be subject to professional expert fees including travel and wait times. Inspector reserves the right to charge an additional fee for homes in distress, cluttered, foreclosed; failure to notify Inspector of such a property at the time of scheduling may result in the inspection being aborted and the CLIENT held responsible for a $150 travel fee. Payment is due at the time of the inspection.
I have in the past during a home inspection opened a crawl space, attic hatch, basement door and though "I did not charge enough for this one"
One time I entered the basement to find what was basically a second house.

I have never adjusted my price or canceled an inspection. I chalk it up to a learning experience, my fault for not knowing better.
I have encountered clients that part way through the inspection I began wishing I was not present for the inspection. I do not scare as easily as some of you appear to by your post. I do my job to the best of my ability and get paid for it.

<a href=http://www.bluffshomeinspection.com target=_blank>http://www.bluffshomeinspection.com</a>

Performing Home Inspections in Council Bluffs, Missouri Valley, Glenwood, and surrounding areas

Council Bluffs Home Inspector
Iowa Home Inspector Council Bluffs - Facebook

Active Rain Member
Old 6/21/13, 7:44 PM

3 times in the past 10 years, about 20-35 minutes into the inspection I realized I was with FrankenBuyer. I collected my equipment, picked up my inspection agreement, smiled AND said in my most pleasant tone:

"Folks I'm so sorry but I realize I'm not gonna be able to satisfy your needs, therefore I'm going to leave. Have a nice day and there will be NO charge AND anything I've told you today is my gift to you. Bye / Bye".

One other time I was all the way done with a home, termite and IR scan and buyer tried renegotiating price, then terms of contract, etc, etc. After talking to him for 20 minutes and getting NOWHERE, I politely said:

"Mr Buyer I'm so sorry but I realize I'm not gonna be able to satisfy your needs, therefore I'm going to leave. Have a nice day and there will be NO charge AND anything I've told you today is my gift to you. Bye / Bye".

If I have a dimwit that I don't feel can be made right / Cut them loose.
Old 6/22/13, 4:18 AM

Happened to me twice. Both times paid for my time and told not to write the report and they'd call me for the next one. Easy money and time to enjoy a coffee before the next one
Old 6/22/13, 6:28 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

This only happened to me once in 12 years. During the inspection, the buyer got into a yelling match with his Realtor having something to do with the loan. The buyer fired his Realtor just as I was finishing up the exterior part of the inspection and told me he didn't want the house. He told me he would pay me what I thought would be fair based on my time. His dumb a** Realtor just looked at me and said "HELP!!!". I told the buyer no inspection report, no fee and got in my truck and took an early lunch before my next appointment.
Old 7/1/13, 9:21 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I have stopped inspections a few times during the inspection. But only when a client has decided the house has far more issues than they previously thought and it is usually about midpoint in the inspection. If that happens, I cut the inspection rate, notes are made in the report about customer request it not be completed, document signed stating the same and we call it a day. The very few of those that have happened have all come back with another house to inspect. I think it is just looking out for the customer and being a fair bit of business. To me it adds to a reputation, which in this small rural part of Virginia means a lot.