florida regulation

i see florida will be regulating home inspections this coming year. Can we expect, as nachi certified inspectors, to be granted certification through grandfathering?

No

NACHI doesn’t have a test that will be accepted by the state. Most likely you will need to pass the NHIE or the FABI test.

Please go into your control panel and add your location to your messages.

Thanks

If you know how a typical home works and you have common sense, you can pass the NHIE in flying colors.

Start studying now.

The NHIE test will be asking for the correct way to do something.

You pretty much need to know the basics of:

Electrical: panels; circuits; breakers; types of systems (old and new); etc.

Plumbing: types of pipes; drain designs; types of fixtures; water heaters, pumps and wells; etc.

Structure: types of residental construction framing; basic framing; etc.
Foundations; types of foundations; foundation problems with each type; how to read cracks; etc.

Roofs: types of roofs and materials; how each type of roof is put on a home; problems with each type of roof; flashing and flashing problems

Cladding: types of cladding’s; problems associated with each; flashing; etc.

HVAC: ALL types of systems; how to recognize what system is what; problems with each type of system; fireplace problems; safety issues with HVAC and fireplaces; chimney issues; etc.

and Common Safety Problems and issues around and in a typical home.

This legislation was passed specifically without a grandfather clause. It appears that more & more states are no longer simply handing out licenses. As an example there is a new Federal law covering mortgage brokers, all current Florida licensed mortgage brokers will be required to sit through the requisite class and pass the new exam, no exceptions.

If NACHI deos not step up to the plate and help its Florida faithful, why would anyone stay a member? I have a hard time believing that NACHI is going to just let the state pass their law without stepping up to the plate. Long story short, if they do not, most of us that wish to remain in business will. But why would I stay a member of NACHI if they allow the state to temporarily damage my business. I will be watching other organizations to see what kind of support their members get regarding Florida licensure. That will help me determine where I go from here. I have always loved this organization but if we are left out here with no support I may just decide to find another organization. Once licensure is implimented, those of us that stay in the business will need to decide who went to bat for their members most. That is who I will be with. I hope it is NACHI.

As stated in other threads, this will never happen. States such as Florida, Kansas, North Carolina, and many others are having all the same issues with licensing; it solves nothing, and only ads grief to inspectors and the ones who have to abide by the laws. ASHI is moving in with a heavy hand, and will soon cover the whole USA. Licensing is only implemented, along with laws that will only benefit them; not us or home buyers. Our industry, as we now know it, is very limited in life. Good luck to all, as I will most likely be leaving the industry as of January 1, 2010 here in Kansas. I will not abide by stupid rules, regulations, and laws implemented by un-knowlegeable people for the benefit of RE’s and special interest groups.

I’m with you Gary. I’ve only been inspecting for about 1 and 1/2 years but I quickly realized where this industry is headed. I’m not at all interested in working for the government. I decided to be “self” employed and that’s what I’m going to do. I’d rather tell the state, special interests and hypocritical HIs on the board to shove the NHIE and “mentoring” costs up their *** than abide by all the ridiculous BS coming down the pipe here in WA.

Hey Paul,

The law has already been passed.

Give me a call and I will give you the latest update concerning licensing in Florida.

We belong to several professional organizations and NACHI is one of them. NACHI provides a wealth of information to it’s members, never been more satisfied with any group I’ve been a member of.
You didn’t know about the new law? You don’t see why you should belong to NACHI? Perhaps you should consider a different approach to your business, no offense, but we work ten to twelve hours a day and always make time for NACHI message board etc.
A license should NOTaffect any professional; insurance, contining education whats the big deal.
I have found 14 new home inspectors in the Naples, Ft Myers area since the first of the year, perhaps if they had to have insurance and training there may have been less.

Massachusetts HI’s are licensed (since 1999) and the Massachusetts Board of Home Inspectors will not approve the iNACHI CE courses as a whole.

That doesn’t make me want to join another organization. I’m very happy with Massachusetts HI licensing and I’m very happy with my iNACHI membership. Just because you move your membership to another organization, doesn’t mean that you’ll suddenly become a happy camper overnight. Your organization decision is not what makes you better or more educated, it’s the continuous learning experience that you encounter on a daily basis, either from your continued participation in this MB or from your daily home inspection.

Don’t threaten to leave an organization simply because their CE credits aren’t approved by your state. That’s ridiculous thinking.

This can happen in Kansas due to the new laws: the board has the duty and power to “make all necessary investigations into the qualifications of, or allegations of misconduct against an applicant and registrant. In connection with any investigation by the board or its duly authorized agents or employees shall at all reasonable times have access to and the right to examine and copy any document, report, record or other physical evidence of any registered home inspector being investigated or any document, report, record, or other evidence maintained by and in the possession of any registered home inspector.”

This is just one area of the new laws here in Kansas that, if you sign up to be a licensed home inspector, you will have no right to privacy. There are several other areas of the laws here that give up your rights. I suggest that you, Mr. Walls and Mr. Valley, read your own state laws very thouroughly, as other inspectors should do also in all licensed states. Anyone can add anything to any current law without you knowing it. Sign your name, give up your rights to serve your customer.

Read that paragraph several times; you will see that I will not be apart of this conspiracy here in Kansas. It is coming to Missouri, where I live just 3 miles from the Kansas/Missour border, and perform 30% of my inspections in Missouri. Conflicting state laws? You bet. And no one here is compaining. Sheep following the dog, Molly.

Regarding Florida licensing, who at NACHI do you believe is not pulling their weight in this matter? Unless you know otherwise there is simply no one representing NACHI members in Tallahassee to the DPBR, but the position is open if you are up to it.

From what I have been told, the Florida Home Builders, Florida Realtors and a group of Florida Insurance professionals along with an ASHI-FABI-NAHI consortium are working with lobbyists and legislators at the DBPR to help craft the language that is missing from the bill. At one time NACHI was invited to join in the conversation and declined, since then… The world just kept on spinning around.

i’m actually in favor of regulating the inspection industry here in florida as it will weed out many fly-by-nighters like it has done in other industries, i just want to make sure i do things by the book and have all necessary certifications… I appreciate all the feedback and have to say that i am satisfied with this organization thus far.

Hey don’t forget about that 120 hours of approved training that is required by the bill. Better get on line for that too! Oh, wait there is no line because no training has been approved yet. No test either. But DBPR is on it (or will be ) sometime soon. Nothing to complain about as Chuck said when he threw out the grandfathering before signing it into law “you have three years to get your ducks in a row”. That was two years ago(and 2 months) the only inspectors who will legally be able to practice home inspection in this state will be contractors, state certifiied building inspectors(they stopped issueing those liscences about 2 years ago), and enginneers. That is unless the state gets it’s ducks in a row.

I just got off the phone with someone from the Construction Industry Licensing Board. The informed me of the following:

1. An e mail list will be compiled for all inspectors to be kept up to date on the licnesing requirements.
  2. The first thing that will be addressed is grandfathering. It was relayed to me that a “fair” plan will be developed for those that have been in business for a “substantial period of time”.
  3. A set of standards will be developed.
  4. All of the other things, fees, schooling etc. will also be addressed
  5. No action will be taken against any inspector until all of the plans have been in place for a period of time.

It would appear as though things are at least moving.
Here is the e mail address: call.center@dbpr.state.fl.us
Here is the link to the website: http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/pro/homein/index.html

Sorry. I lost my head. Just nervous abouth the whole thing. NACHI has been a great partner in my business and I would not rustrated with the unknown.

If they are going to add a grandfather clause, then all in business when bill is law should be grandfathered.

They ain’t going to add a grandfather clause, fahgettaboudit!