Illinois Inspectors, take note

I have gotten a few calls from Illinois Inspectors. We just had our licenses renewed (they all come due for renewal on Nov. 30 of even number years) and they wanted to know if they also had to have entity licenses as well as personal, individual HI licenses.

Here are the rules.

If you are not doing business as a sole proprietorship or a simple partnership, in other words, you are doing business as any sort of corporation (LLC, S or C corp, registered partnership or limited partnership) then you MUST also have an entity license and every inspector who works under that legal entity must also have an individual license.

I am told that the state board will be cracking down on this, in the new year. Something about the state needing more funds :mrgreen:.

So, if you are doing business as an entity, and enjoy the limitation of liability that that sort of business formation, then you MUST also have an entity license.

Here is the cite in the law:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=022504410HArt%2E+5&ActID=1359&ChapAct=225%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B441%2F&ChapterID=24&ChapterName=PROFESSIONS+AND+OCCUPATIONS&SectionID=23540&SeqStart=500000&SeqEnd=1600000&ActName=Home+Inspector+License+Act%2E

Section 5-12.

Hope this helps;

If you are under an assumed name you must also register with each county where you do business.

What, like “Condo Bob”? :wink:

You forget I am Elliott and Chicago property:)

The later is for Cook.

With the way things are going ,I may buy one of those Pith Helmuts or what ever they are called.

I may add, Individual licenses can be renewed on-line, entity renwal must be sent in**.**

$400 for 2 year renewal (before 11/30/08).
$450 if you’re late (don’t ask how I know this.) :oops:

Also, don’t forget your “Franchise tax” (for Corp, don’t know about LLC) and “certificate of good standing”. Both can be done on-line.

Better yet, just send a blank check to the gov. :wink:

Add condo Bob and techno Bob and you’re all set. :slight_smile:

I’m confused.

Q.Who needs to obtain a Home Inspector Entity License?A.****Home Inspection businesses operating in a form of a Corporation, a Partnership, or a Limited Liability Company (LLC). To download the Home Inspector Entity License application, click here: http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/re/Forms/HIEntityApp.pdf.

Here the text of the law (emphasis mine):

(225 ILCS 441/5‑12)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2012)
Sec. 5‑12. Application for home inspector license; entity. Every entity that is not a natural person that desires to obtain a home inspector license shall apply to OBRE on forms provided by OBRE and accompanied by the required fee.
(Source: P.A. 92‑239, eff. 8‑3‑01.)

You guys are late with this stuff,so wait 2 years that you have for next time.

For Instance- My business is set up as an S corp, and i have my Entity License. Also always make sure to keep corporate minutes and books organized with required forms filed in a timely manner. Yeah its a bit more complicated but well worth it.

They should definitely crack down on the ones who aren’t playing fair.

[quote=“ccurrins, post:7, topic:34449”]

I’m confused.

Q.Who needs to obtain a Home Inspector Entity License?A.****Home Inspection businesses operating in a form of a Corporation, a Partnership, or a Limited Liability Company (LLC). To download the Home Inspector Entity License application, click here: [

My stupid mistake. Sorry. Corrected.

I always rely on the kindness, and copy editing, of strangers. :mrgreen:]("http://www.idfpr.com/dpr/re/Forms/HIEntityApp.pdf.")

Bob. My point is that if you are in this situation now, fix it ASAP.

No problem Will, I know you’re trying to help. You know more about Il. state HI Law than I do. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Thanks Will!
I was one of those who contacted you concerning this. Thanks so much for the phone call also.

Bob,
Correct me if I am wrong with facts, but you only have to register in the county where you have the business located. Not every county you do business in. While I do biz in 6 different counties, I am only registered in McHenry. If that were the case, lets say Proctor and Gamble with their 350 different products would have to register in every county in the USA, let alone Illinois, as they do biz in each county.

If you are a corp (LLC, S, C, registered partnership) in Illinois, you do not have to register with the county or the municipality. The state incorporation supercedes.

Hope this helps;

Correct,but only in that case.
I do business as Chicago Property Inspection in Chicago but would need to register that name if DBA in each county where I work under that name.

You register with the recorders offices.

$50 fee

Are you a corp or LLC. If so, you do not need to do this.

Call me, if you have any questions.

Why are you a Lawyer? :slight_smile:

Explained as above,by representatives for the state.

You must register in each county you work in under an assumed name in unless you are a corp or LLC.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

P.S (but thanks for the offer)

So you agree with my post. Sorry, I thought you were and LLC.

Bob,
What exactly are you saying in your last post? I don’t understand it. Did you notify the Secretary of State’s office on your dba(s)? If you did, great, if not better do it or you could be in trouble. For some reason I believe you have done this.

Will,
Thanks for your info.