Law suits

being in business for a little over a year, i am curious to find out from some of the more experienced inspectors what it is like to be sued? Does it hurt your business?

It is nearly impossible with the “proper” report for that to not be in your favor.

What the hell do you mean by that? You’re assuming an awful lot aren’t you? :mad:

sounds like you have never made any mistakes which upset the clients.

1. NO, I haven’t,

and

1. What the hell does that have to do with being sued?

Most law suits settle before they ever get to court so we never hear about them. I guess it depends on your insurance, who is going after you, and if you were negligent. I can tell you that one inspector has just gotten the fat letter. From what i understaand he will not have a leg to stand on if it goes to court. It could very well put him out of business.

I can tell you this. I know of two cases where everyone said the inspector could not lose. ONe was a wind mitigation case. He decided to go to mediation and had to pay $5000.00. In another case the inspetor did not go back and fix a wrong and it cost him about $900.00. Moral of these two stories is that if someone does threaten to sue you, do what you need to do to get rid of him as soon as possible. The first guy could have sellted for $1000.00 and the second could have settled for the inspection fee.

And then there is the last case where the inspector was correct but the client never read, or understood the report. He spent over $10,000.00 in lega fees to prove he was right. The repair cost was $3500.00.

Either way, there is no winning when a client threatens to sue.

did not mean to upset you or degrade you. I was just trying to gather info about some problems other inspectors may have had with clients and what to be aware of.

Thanks Jeff

I appreciate the info and insight on some of those issues.

http://www.nachi.org/avoiding-lawsuits.htm

Perhaps you should have worded your original post just like that!