Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors Use this forum to discuss current and proposed legislation on home inspector licensing, and other legal issues affecting home inspectors. Inspectors from all associations welcome.

Old 5/4/18, 1:20 PM
Active Poster

Default Letter to combat real estate agents who ask inspectors for referral fees.

PRESS RELEASE: InterNACHI(R) General Counsel Helps Members Combat REA Requests for Referral Fees - InterNACHI
Need a home inspection in Massachusetts? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Massachusetts certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/4/18, 1:51 PM
Student Inspector

Default Re: Letter to combat real estate agents who ask inspectors for referral fees.

Thanks for this Nick. I have several Agencies that want me to pay to be part of a referral program. The letter has some typos in it, that should be corrected. On the 4th Paragraph, short sighted is mis-spelled.
Old 5/4/18, 1:52 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Default Re: Letter to combat real estate agents who ask inspectors for referral fees.

Good one thanks NACHI .
Attached Images
Letter to combat real estate agents who ask inspectors for referral fees.-clapping-hands-gif 
Old 5/4/18, 3:34 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

I've only been asked to pay to play once.

I declined.

They hire me multiple times anyway.

But this will be nice just in case.
Old 5/4/18, 9:06 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Great letter.
But I am curious. Does anyone know if any real estate agent, broker, office, has been successfully sued on the very fact they only referred one home inspector?
And has any real estate agent, broker, office successfully defended themselves against a lawsuit because they referred three home inspectors?

Just wondering.
Old 5/5/18, 8:16 AM
Certified Master Inspector

I seen some Realtors settle when they referred only one inspector who missed major defects. But the inspectors were not certified according to my state. It is called a neglectant referral. The real estate agent has a fiduciary duty to her client, so it hard to argue that referring an inspector who does not belong to NACHI or ASHI is doing the right thing for her client.

Braun Inspection Consultants
Serving Jefferson City, Columbia, Sedalia, Fulton and Lake of the Ozarks