Licensing solves all problems

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-housingsham1707aug17,0,4366913.story?coll=orl_tab01_layout

I am so glad that we now have licensing for Home Inspectors to protect the consumer. I hope they do a better job with home inspectors than they have with contractors.

Considering how misunderstood our profession is compared to contracting, good luck Florida!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_139.gif

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Flagler/flaFLAG01081707.htm

Try another

And just think, proponents of licensure would use this story to advance their legislation if the exact same thing occurred in the absence of licensing. But hey, at least there is a board in place to act on issues like these after the damage is done!:smiley:

Heck, in Illinois, home inspectors are licensed, but general contractors aren’t.

I did an inspection, the other day. House still needed trim, interior doors, HVAC, electric wire pull to the 2nd floor, flooring, cabinets, countertops and appliances. The client (a single woman) had paid the contractor up front. “Well, I am short on money and can’t complete the job unless you pay me more money than we originally contracted for. You want me to work for free? What about paying my guys?” BTW: The contractor was driving a 1 year old Lexus.

Wonder where all the money went? :mrgreen:

Your client needs to learn two phrases - Theft by Fraud and Co-mingling of Funds. A case could even be made for extortion. It seems too many people confuse the company’s money with their money. She has already learned an expensive lesson and needs to contact a lawyer. I would have really lost it with that “You want me to work for free?” statement. Obviously he thinks she’s a total idiot. I can guarantee that if it had cost me full price for half the work, he would be answering questions from the local constabulary, then facing a deposition from my attorney before I stripped him of his assets.

Good points:

1. She has a lawyer and is persuing litigation.
  2. Can’t have him arrested. Private contract and not a criminal matter.
  3. The builder is a dweeb and has no insurance and no assets. Nothing to collect. The lawyer has to go through civil court.
  4. Around here, guys like this go ‘bankrupt’ all the time. They merely move their assets to another LLC and bankrupt the first. No attachable assest.
  5. I am sorry to say this, but the buyer should beware. Have a good lawyer look over EVERYTHING, BEFORE you sign or give any money.

The jerk still has tools on site. I told her to change the locks, then try to get him arrested for breaking an entering. :mrgreen:

Although its not really important for the people building or remodeling or repairing houses to be regulated, licensed or insured - its vital for national security and to protect the children to get HI’s regulated, etc.

Licensing solves nothing. We can regulate our own industry just fine. I would bet about half of those who pushed for licensing in Fl will in the next 3 - 5 years wish they had not.

Things were fine the way they were.