NACHI Inspectors Recommended by Consumer Reports????

I was recently contacted by a representative from Consumer Reports, Wendy Whitman. She informed me that NACHI inspectors are not recommended by Consumer Reports. I had this assertion on my website along with the Consumer Report logo and I was told to take the logo off and also the statement that NACHI inspectors are recommended by Consumer Reports or I would have to pay a fine of $1500.
I wrote Nick on the matter and asked him if NACHI Inspectors are recommended by Consumer Reports…I received no reply so I assume we are not. So what gives here, NICK? How about an explanation?

I have to agree with consumer reports on that one. I don’t see how consumer reports recommending inspectors or even InterNACHI members in general, magically grants you individually any right to use their trademarked logo. You are not consumer reports.

Nick,

I think the title of your prior post gives exactly that impression http://www.nachi.org/forum/f13/consumer-reports-recommends-international-association-certified-home-inspectors-members-and-tells-find-them-10652/

Can I assume everyone noticed Nicks post is from 2006???

Again, that doesn’t give Hank the right to use another organization’s logo.

If a fellow home inspector recommends you to do inspections when he’s busy, does that give you the right to use his trademarked logo without his permission? Of course not.

Intellectual property is a form of property! You can’t just take someone’s property and do what you want with it. You can’t just take some other organization’s logo and put it on your website. That is absurd… and is theft.

Nick the logo issue aside you still refuse to answer the question were NACHI Inspectors ever recommended by Consumer Reports Yes or No? You state in your post of 2006 that they are?

This has been Consumer Union’s Policy for as long as I can remember. The original statement “Consumer Reports recommends NACHI members and tells where to find them.” was improper and in violation of that policy when it was posted. That is, unless Nick had written permission to do so at the time.

Wow, you got two stubborn people. One that feels he got screwed somehow and want’s to blame somebody else then himself and another that won’t admit to making a wrong statement.

Yes, anytime any organization tells consumers why to seek out InterNACHI members and exactly where to find them…, I consider that a recommendation (because that is what it is). Here is the exact recommendation: “Find a local independent home inspector who can perform an objective two-hour, roof-to-crawl space review for about $300 at www.nachi.org

… but that still doesn’t give any of us the right to use any other organization’s intellectual property or Trademarked logo. The two have nothing to do with each other.

If a fellow home inspector recommends you to do inspections when he’s busy, does that give you the right to use his trademarked logo without his permission? Of course not.