Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors Use this forum to discuss current and proposed legislation on home inspector licensing, and other legal issues affecting home inspectors. Inspectors from all associations welcome.

Old 11/16/17, 2:00 PM
Active Poster

Default Nathan Thornberry sued for selling inspector's client's personal and private info.

https://www.nachi.org/documents2012/...berry-sued.pdf

Last edited by gromicko; 11/16/17 at 2:18 PM..
Need a home inspection in Arkansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Arkansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 11/16/17, 2:31 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Nathan Thornberry sued for selling inspector's client's personal and private info

The funny/sad/ironic part is the person brining the suit is not a person who had their home inspected, nor an inspector, but the company that was buying the personal information.
Old 11/16/17, 2:51 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via Skype™ to gwells
Default Re: Nathan Thornberry sued for selling inspector's client's personal and private info

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
This is just the tip of the iceberg. It isn’t just Nathan violating the trust of his customers.
Long after I am dead and gone, I hope that at least a few people in this industry remember how I was up on my soapbox 10 years ago warning of this kind of stuff.

I may be the last man standing trying to uphold the integrity of our industry. That is unless the bad guys kill me off first.

Forensic Electrical Consultant
EE, Licensed Master Electrician/Electrical Contractor

BestInspectors.Net
By Inspectors, For Inspectors

Inspection Report Software
& Business Coaching

Since 1992
Old 11/16/17, 3:04 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
I may be the last man standing trying to uphold the integrity of our industry. That is unless the bad guys kill me off first.
I'll be standing with you. We never sold anyone's information and never will.
Old 11/16/17, 3:42 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Send a message via Skype™ to sbaker2

In the document it states RWS claimed to an "Expert" in packaging client information. CIE I wonder or just plain expert?
Old 11/16/17, 4:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to linkster

Another whiney lawsuit that will do nothing but amp up the marketing prowess of someone who is already good at that.

Future Proof Property Inspections Inc.

Leonard Inkster, CMI, CITP, CCHI, CPI, IAC2

Any information posted by me on this site should be considered a personal opinion.

Web: http://fppi.ca
Mail: leni@fppi.ca

"Every man always has handy a dozen glib little reasons why he is right not to sacrifice himself..." - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 11/16/17, 6:30 PM

Paid millions of dollars to RWS for qualified leads that were supposed to be compliant with Do Not Call and other applicable regulations. Says the quality of the leads was knowingly misrepresented on multiple occasions.

These inspectors trade their client's personal/private information for trinkets and baubles enabling who I believe to be the least ethical of those that prey on this industry to sell their clients out for millions...

Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)
Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer (#8402)
HomeCert Houston Home Inspections & Thermal Inspections Find us on Facebook
Houston Thermal Inspections & Infrared Imaging Find us on Facebook
TheWoodlandsHomeInspection.com

Houston, TX

SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Old 11/16/17, 6:40 PM
Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 Emmanuel J. Scanlan, TREC# 7593 is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
Some very interesting points in the document.

Page 3 - RWS is being identified specifically as a "lead generation company" and not a warranty company that sells leads. I do wonder if all activities under RWS and ISG are listed in their biz docs as their primary function is "lead generation"? It would be interesting to see one of their contracts with alarm companies, etc., such as was mentioned as Exhibit A to this doc.

Page 3, 4 - The description characterizes RWS as an "insurance provider" to Home Inspectors and not a provider of 90 Day Widget Warranties. Are any of you 90 Day Widget Minions being provided any "insurance" by RWS? If so what type of "insurance"? Do you claim the value of this "insurance" on your biz taxes?

Page 4 - "This results in RWS obtaining leads that RWS then sells to different businesses such as ADS.". Have any of you 90 Day Widget Minions ever been told exactly or near exactly how many different businesses RWS is selling off your client information to? I know your inspection agreements contain very generic wording that your clients are required to sign that pluralizes "Third Party Service Providers". But do you actually know how many different businesses are going to be calling your clients?

Page 5, Item 15 - WOW almost 50% of the leads they bought were not in compliance with the TCPA?? Obviously ADS would not have continued to buy the lead lists from RWS if almost 50% of numbers themselves were bogus. Where did that many valid numbers come from?? To buy the 90 Day Widgets with client information, instead of paying RWS outright for the Widgets, you needed to get the clients to sign away their rights to their private information. Were they the numbers of clients that you 90 Day Widget Minions were paying for their Widgets instead of using the client information to buy the 90 Day Widgets?

I read one of the 90 Day Widget Program contracts some time ago that the Widget Minions had to sign to join these programs. If I recall correctly there was strong language in their that the Inspector would indemnify RWS in the event anything occurred. Now that this lawsuit has been brought forth does that indemnification you agreed to extend to lawsuits from sources such as ADS?

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

http://www.psinspection.com

TREC License# 7593

Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!
Old 11/16/17, 8:56 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Home advisory has"Quality Leads" too

Ken Brittain, CPI
Home Vue Inspection Services, llc
Inspecting Charlotte, Concord & Surrounding Cities
InterNACHI 11071502 NCHILB 3262
704-455-0482

Old 11/16/17, 8:59 PM

"He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas"
Old 11/16/17, 9:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jkeilson

This is some of the funniest things to happen in years in the industry. Remember that many of us called this out years ago. What's cool is there will be many other people named as involved "Strategic partners" (or as I like to call them Complicit Partners and Promoters)with Nathan Thornberry by the time this really get going and the investigations get deeper....LMAO this is great news and a big benefit for the industry as a whole.

Jim

"We Respect Our Clients Right To Privacy"

Jim Keilson Certified Master Inspector

MarylandHomeInspectionServices.com

www.MarylandRadonTesting.org

Specializing in All Air Quality
Mold and Radon Gas Testing

State of Maryland License# 31141
Virginia License#3380 000468
InterNACHI ID: NACHI10101807
(IAC2). Certification # IAC2-02-0919
Maryland Home Inspectors, Also servicing All of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Old 11/16/17, 11:52 PM

"Page 3, 4 - The description characterizes RWS as an "insurance provider" to Home Inspectors and not a provider of 90 Day Widget Warranties. Are any of you 90 Day Widget Minions being provided any "insurance" by RWS? If so what type of "insurance"? Do you claim the value of this "insurance" on your biz taxes?"

Manny- He stated he was a registered insurance company on Preston's podcast just the other day. I found that interesting as well.

The lawsuit states he received MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for the leads.

Last edited by gspry; 11/17/17 at 3:25 AM..
Old 11/17/17, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspry View Post
"Page 3, 4 - The description characterizes RWS as an "insurance provider" to Home Inspectors and not a provider of 90 Day Widget Warranties. Are any of you 90 Day Widget Minions being provided any "insurance" by RWS? If so what type of "insurance"? Do you claim the value of this "insurance" on your biz taxes?"

Manny- He stated he was a registered insurance company on Preston's podcast just the other day. I found that interesting as well.

The lawsuit states he received MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for the leads.
It would be interesting to know if the insurance designation is an official one and if so when they claimed it or converted to it?

As for the millions of dollars there is no surprise in that. There is HUGE money to be made selling peoples private information off to other companies. All of that private information selling can contribute to identity theft as well as other issues. I wonder how many consumers really understand this before they sign away their rights to their private information?

TREC License# 7593

Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!
Need a home inspection in Arkansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Arkansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 11/17/17, 9:02 AM

The justification that most inspectors using RWS use is that they have the client's permission to share the information in their Pre-Inspection Agreement. If they really believe that, then they would not be opposed to have a separate and specific agreement acknowledging this. My Pre-Inspection Agreement includes a separate addendum that must be signed to enable me to share the report with their agent.
If they truly believed that they are being transparent with their client, then they would not be hesitant to do the same when getting permission to share their client's personal information.
The challenge.

Certified Inspection Services, LLC
5521 Mission Road #1422, Bonsall, CA 92003
San Diego Home Inspection
Like me on Facebook
Plus 1 on Google Plus
Award Winning Sample Report
Check out my blog
Yelp Page
Temecula Home Inspection
Check out the HG User Group on FB
ITC Certified Level I Thermographer
Old 11/17/17, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frotte View Post
The justification that most inspectors using RWS use is that they have the client's permission to share the information in their Pre-Inspection Agreement. If they really believe that, then they would not be opposed to have a separate and specific agreement acknowledging this. My Pre-Inspection Agreement includes a separate addendum that must be signed to enable me to share the report with their agent.
If they truly believed that they are being transparent with their client, then they would not be hesitant to do the same when getting permission to share their client's personal information.
The challenge.
Agreed 100%!

Also if the Inspectors want to be transparent to their clients and make sure their clients are protected it would list who their private information will be sold to and re-sold to after that. That would provide the client the opportunity not to sign just so they receive a useless Widget and have their information possibly sold around the world. Of course we know that would probably never happen as it would kill the "Millions of dollars" being made by the very first person who their private information is being sold to and the Inspectors selling it to that first person won't make their cut of the "Millions of dollars" made in selling their clients' private information.

TREC License# 7593