Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > General Inspection Topics > Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors

Notices

Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors Use this forum to discuss current and proposed legislation on home inspector licensing, and other legal issues affecting home inspectors. Inspectors from all associations welcome.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5/14/13, 2:10 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: NEW Vendor Code of Ethics

Quote:
The Rule many Moons ago....
was to let the Vendor OFFER a Service to All Members....
The Members will decide the Value of that Service...
Basically still the same, we just don't want the vendor to secretly hire fellow members to post unearned flattery about the vendor's products/services.
Need a home inspection in District Of Columbia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of District Of Columbia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/14/13, 2:11 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
A genuine reviewer might actually be a little harder to recognize, but again most products mentioned by members on this forum get discussed at length. I really do believe the free market works and can weed out the fake from real.
This makes the weeding just a little bit easier.
Old 5/14/13, 2:12 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
I foresee vendors shying away from discounts and freebies out of fear of breaking this rule inadvertently or being publicly accused breaking this rule and having their reputation damaged.
Good point. We'll keep an eye on that and make sure it doesn't happen.
Old 5/14/13, 2:14 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Something else just occurred to me, does increased vetting of vendors by InterNACHI also increase its liability? And at what point does InterNACHI become liable if a shyster vendor gets past these rules and scams it members?
We are not vetting any vendors by creating a COE. Members have to do the vetting.
Old 5/14/13, 2:15 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
We are not vetting any vendors by creating a COE. Members have to do the vetting.
Well they have and did in recent history Nick.

Look how that turned out?

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me

Old 5/14/13, 2:25 PM

Please Note: canderson5 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbushart View Post
I think that ... when he creates a special forum for vendors to use for the promotion of their products (and, in some cases, gimmicks) he can create a thread that sticks at the top of the forum for each vendor to maintain as to whom he has compensated for promoting their products.
Quote:
If inspectors are looking for a vendor to buy a widget from and a vendor wants to give him a free widget or a discount that is not being provided to other members ... he can disclose this in that area.
These sound like two different requirements.

The first one I agree with and I think it's the spirit of the rule currently written. If the vendor pays or compensates someone for the purpose of promoting their product that should be known.

But I don't quite understand the second one you explained. Why should one members discount be disclosed over another members discount if there is no product promotion tied to it? Different discounts to different members is not an ethics issue.
Old 5/14/13, 2:25 PM
Active Poster

We added the word "disingenuously" to #7 to permit a vendor's happy customers to provide testimonials.
Old 5/14/13, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarson View Post
Well they have and did in recent history Nick.

Look how that turned out?
I think that after you look at all of the spin, threats and lies that Thornberry published in this thread in an attempt to manipulate Nick into abolishing his requirement for vendors disclosing compensated shills ... Nick just b itch slapped him across the room.

He will certainly be compelled to spin it otherwise, of course, but it is plainly here for all to see in the public domain.

In my opinion, booting the kid out of range of the message board might have been the more humane thing that Nick could have done.
Old 5/14/13, 2:31 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
Based on the wording in #10, Dom will be banned when he has his next holiday sale posted on his own website or facebook page because he offers an equal discount to non members.
Correct. He can't offer an equal discount to non-members.
Old 5/14/13, 2:34 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
All the other ones except 10 seem pretty succinct. It seems like a bit of a catch 22. Membership is given to the vendor if they offer discounts to NACHI members. If a vendor violates this agreement and is banned, you would inadvertently be punishing NACHI members since now that vendor would not be bound by any NACHI negotiated discounts. It seems like keeping the vendors close is a better option.
No sense in "keeping a vendor close" that isn't giving an exclusive discount to our members. We'd be better off launching our own competing product. Furthermore, any vendor can offer exclusive InterNACHI discounts from anywhere, even after being banned from our message board. These business decisions are up to the vendor in other words.
Old 5/14/13, 2:35 PM

Please Note: canderson5 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
I think that after you look at all of the spin, threats and lies that Thornberry published in this thread in an attempt to manipulate Nick into abolishing his requirement for vendors disclosing compensated shills ... Nick just b itch slapped him across the room.

He will certainly be compelled to spin it otherwise, of course, but it is plainly here for all to see in the public domain.

In my opinion, booting the kid out of range of the message board might have been the more humane thing that Nick could have done.
Actually he has stated his support for this rule multiple times with minor changes. Why the purposeful exaggeration, aka misinformation, aka lie?
Old 5/14/13, 2:35 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
So then every single vendor that gives me a discount, a pen, a free trial, needs to be disclosed if I talk about them? Hertz, Avis, office max, mountain warranty, home hints, ect...?

How crazy is that? My signature line will be 50 lines long...
Fixed in #7. Much less restrictive now.
Old 5/14/13, 2:36 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Basically still the same, we just don't want the vendor to secretly hire fellow members to post unearned flattery about the vendor's products/services.
And there's some proof that this has happened?

George Russell
George Russell Professional Inspections
Lampasas,Texas
TREC # 10215
512-296-9538
http://georgerussellprofessionalinspections.com/
http://www.facebook.com/austinhomeinspections
Need a home inspection in District Of Columbia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of District Of Columbia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/14/13, 2:37 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
To me the word "compensation" is totally vague because every vendor MUST give compensation. See how crazy this is?
Fixed with changes to #7.
Old 5/14/13, 2:37 PM

Quote:
No sense in "keeping a vendor close" that isn't giving an exclusive discount to our members. We'd be better off launching our own competing product. Furthermore, any vendor can offer exclusive InterNACHI discounts from anywhere, even after being banned from our message board. These business decisions are up to the vendor in other words.
I've warmed up to #10 throughout this discussion.
Closed Thread